Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Sedulous said:
So there isn't a "typical" winter here? People seem to be telling me that this has been unusually cold. I still get by wearing a long sleeve T-shirt and windbreaker outside. Any colder and I will have to break out the winter gear. Too bad there doesn't seem to be much good skiing in the London area.

A typical winter is usually just wet, damp and with temps around 6-10 C most of the time. Just cold enough to justify putting on a thick jumper/coat and just about enough to need some non-thermal gloves. Usually around Jan/Feb, we get a cold snap where it drops to nearer freezing and there's a possibility of some very light snow in London (heavier in other parts of the country; Scotland, Wales, Northern England get several inches, occasionally a foot or more). The snow in those areas will rarely be mentioned on the news. Half a flake in London will make the national headlines and as others have mentioned, shut down most of London's transport system.

The current weather is colder than usual for November; this is more like we get in Jan/Feb briefly - and it feels worse after a relatively mild autumn. Coming from New England where I've watched people watching football with a windchill around -30C and enjoying it, it's probably fairly warm!

Skiing - your options are cheap flights to Europe (book early and odd times) or if it really is a bad winter and you're desperate, going up to Scotland but it can get really cold/wild/windy at Glenshee/Cairngorms. The Continent is far more civilised and comparatively warm.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
yea! bring on the snow. its going to be a really snowy winter this year. it feels so much colder than normal.

going to be a fun winter :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
The novelty of it soon wears off and as the days stretch on

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway... who goes into work when it's snowing??? :confused: all sounds a bit too sensible adult-like for me!!! ;) :D :D

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :D

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
mikebatho said:
Worst still, my boiler isn't working properly.

I can't get her to make me a brew!

LOL

I quite like the snow but we seem to get just enough to make life miserable but not enough to have to stay indoors!

I can remember getting 5 and 6 foot drifts up the front door when I was a kid. Not seen anything anywhere near as bad as that for years and years and...

The magic air conditioning at work means it blasts out warm air in the summer and cold in the winter. Bl00dy pathetic. There are a couple of hotspots though so I'll go and stand in a corner for a bit to warm up.

Although this year, with impending redundancy and next to nothing to do all day, I think I'll be "working from home" if it snows.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
ha - you're all way too excited about snow :p

The same thing happened in DC, they get over 6 inches of snow and things shutdown.

Not so here in Indiana - we're going to get some snow tomorrow, but the sad thing is I'll be on the road to DC for the holidays. Bleh - I hate missing the first snow.

D

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
The Northern Line hasn't been as terrible as people make out in the 20 months I've been living down here - its just that when it does go, it goes in style. Like that week+ when it just didn't run. Still when that happens, the overland from Earlsfield is a good backup for those who commute in every day. I followed a friends advice on moving to London and live a 10min walk to work ;)
So the District Line gets another vote from me!

I have to agree with the fact that snow is fun only on the day it falls in London - anything after that is just crappy ice or slush.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
iGav said:
Anyway... who goes into work when it's snowing??? :confused: all sounds a bit too sensible adult-like for me!!! ;) :D :D

Snow or no snow, you know. Can't be a no-show... the presses don't stop rolling for any man or woman. :(

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
iGav said:
Dammit... I knew there was a downside to working from home.

Although if it snows on Friday then perhaps I can use that as an excuse to not walk 5 mins down the road to the gym, and get out of the personal training session i've just booked ;)

iGav said:
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :D
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :eek: :eek: :eek:

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Exactly. This isn't school anymore, find a way to get your ass to work!!!!

If I don't work, I don't get paid, so I have little choice....

I have a team of huskies in the shed, and I've had them watching a looped copy of the dvd DAY AFTER TOMORROW in readiness....

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Blue Velvet said:
Exactly. The novelty of it soon wears off and as the days stretch on and you're trudging through the slush — wearing wooly tights beneath your trousers — to an intermittent tube service, you soon come to detest the bloody stuff.

Still, at least I've got central heating now.

What is it with the UK MR female contingent and central heating, first DCV has all kinds of aggro with her heating now you've had trouble?

It's a conspiracy I say.

I did like the network Southeast explanation as to why all the trains ground to a halt a few years ago after extensive preparation.....

"It's the wrong type of snow..."

:D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
WinterMute said:
What is it with the UK MR female contingent and central heating, first DCV has all kinds of aggro with her heating now you've had trouble?

Hey, don't get me onto the subject of female plumbing trouble. ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
mikebatho said:
Exactly. This isn't school anymore, find a way to get your ass to work!!!!

Going to school in the snow was ACE!!!! :D

Going to work in the snow isn't ace!!! ;)

mikebatho said:
If I don't work, I don't get paid, so I have little choice....

Eh??? you're not a prostitute are you??? :eek: :p

mikebatho said:
I have a team of huskies in the shed, and I've had them watching a looped copy of the dvd DAY AFTER TOMORROW in readiness....

:p :p :p :p :p :p

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Mr. Anderson said:
The same thing happened in DC, they get over 6 inches of snow and things shutdown./QUOTE]

Last yeah in NC we got 2" of snow and CHILDREN HAD TO BE ABANDONED IN THEIR SCHOOLS.

Winter Waether is pathetic here in the south.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
iGav said:
Going to school in the snow was ACE!!!! :D

Going to work in the snow isn't ace!!! ;)

Eh??? you're not a prostitute are you??? :eek: :p

:p :p :p :p :p :p

No, I'm a freelance Graphic designer, so I don't get all the benefits of a full-time salary job. Although I do feel like a prostitute sometimes...

I should have been more careful when loading the dvd player. Instead of TDAT, I accidently put in THE GREAT ESCAPE, and my huskies have tunneled out of the shed.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.