Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIOC

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
It's all perspective. My resting heart rate is 50-65bmp. I never got credit for exercise without the workout app. Well one time I got 2 mins while changing my tire. With the update I might get a min or 3 with os2 each day. Wish the watch took resting heart rate into consideration.

There are probably many not as bad as me but that were not getting any credit outside the workout app.

Reactions: SHNXX

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I've noticed I get more exercise credit now just walking on campus. Sure is nice since some of those walks cover some distance.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Except that the Move ring moves much slower now. I have to reduce my Move goal for 100KCal to retain the same level of exercising.

This is the problem I'm having also - I used to make my goal, now I'm nowhere near. If it was overestimating before and they fixed it, they should tell us that. But it seems like it's just not registering properly now.

Reactions: haruhiko

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I have not noticed any change from the previous OS. I still need to get my heart rate up a little for the exercise ring to move. Did something elevate your heart rate during the drive?

Couple more days of observation: On two recent walks I used the workout app to record them. In 25 minutes it registered 11 minutes of exercise, which is about right because it's a route with some steep hills so my heart rate would be up for approximately half the walk. A one hour bike ride registered close to 45 minutes of exercise because I was riding at a brisk pace most of the time. This all seems consistent with what I expected from Watch OS 1.01.

The Move ring is a more mysterious beast. I understand it considers heart rate, exercise activity, steps counted, stairs climbed, and even distance walked as measured by the iPhone's GPS. Again it seems to behave consistently with what I was getting in Watch OS 1.01. I'm not saying something didn't change. It's not unusual for things to get tweaked. Fitbit has changed their algorithms for "Active Minutes" and "Calories Burned" since I first started using a Fitbit a couple of years ago. Initially my Fitbit significantly underestimated my active minutes and calories burned. At one point I agreed to be in a test group for testing a new algorithm. During my period my usual activity registered dramatically more active minutes and calories burned. When they finally released the update it seemed to me that they eventually settled on something in between.

I still carry my Fitbit One in my pocket for comparison. Both devices report close to the same number of steps, but Fitbit is usually slightly higher. If FitBit says I walked 10,000 steps, Apple Watch will say I walked about 9,500. Stairs climbed is usually a bigger discrepancy. If Fitbit reports that I climbed 50 flights of stairs, the Health App on my iPhone will report closer to 35 or 40. I think stairs climbed is measured entirely by the iPhone though, so I guess the comparison is Apple Watch + iPhone vs Fitbit.

The only calibration I ever did on my watch was when I first got it I followed the instructions to complete a 20 minute walking workout on flat ground.

I would add... if you are getting unexpected results I would try the following: Restart both the watch and the iPhone. Then record some flat walks as 20 or 30 minute workouts. See if the numbers fall in line a little more after that, but keep in mind that using the workout app for extended activity will inrease accuracy. If it's going to take me more than 10 or 15 minutes to walk or bike somewhere, I use the workout app.

Sean

Reactions: BlueMoon63

spikesglaring

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, it definitely isn't as accurate as before. I've registered 10 minutes today and all I've done is monitor our football team's study hall for an hour & sat at my desk for another. Other than going up and down the stairs a couple of times too, I've not really accomplished anything worth getting exercise credit.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Its too bad because it was my favorite feature about OS1, now it feels broken
Yeah, it definitely isn't as accurate as before. I've registered 10 minutes today and all I've done is monitor our football team's study hall for an hour & sat at my desk for another. Other than going up and down the stairs a couple of times too, I've not really accomplished anything worth getting exercise credit.

Its too bad because it was my favorite feature about OS1, now it feels broken and pointless. needs a patch in an update

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Under WatchOS 1.01 it was impossible to get exercise credit for brisk walks. Under WatchOS 2.0, I can now close the ring in a couple miles of briskly walking. Slower walking does not register as exercise. (To close the Move ring, I'd have to do a lot more.)

So far as I can tell, under 2.0 it's working the way it's supposed to work.

Reactions: orbital~debris

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Under WatchOS 1.01 it was impossible to get exercise credit for brisk walks. Under WatchOS 2.0, I can now close the ring in a couple miles of briskly walking. Slower walking does not register as exercise. (To close the Move ring, I'd have to do a lot more.)

So far as I can tell, under 2.0 it's working the way it's supposed to work.

Sure, if your definition of exercise is a brisk walk.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
I've noticed this too. I've also noticed that the stand ring is now too easy to get. I have often just been sat on the sofa watching TV and felt a tap - looked and it says "You're almost there! Keep moving to reach this hour's goal" or something to that effect.

Reactions: jgelin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.