Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
WatchOS2 breaks the usefulness of the exercising ring.

Back in the first OS I would have to exercise to get the exercise ring to move. Now I can sit in a car driving back from Sydney to Melbourne (~9 hour drive FYI) and have a 3/4 full exercising ring. Any time the winds up, the exercising ring fills up. Its WAY WAY WAY to sensitive!

I don't want two movement rings. I want a movement ring AND an exercise ring.

</rant>

Reactions: ddkkpp

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011

Back in the first OS I would have to exercise to get the exercise ring to move. Now I can sit in a car driving back from Sydney to Melbourne (~9 hour drive FYI) and have a 3/4 full exercising ring. Any time the winds up, the exercising ring fills up. Its WAY WAY WAY to sensitive!

</rant>

I noticed this too. On days I didn't "workout" I was getting full exercise rings... I mean I did go for walks and stuff, but I didn't exercise...

I think they made it easier for people to reach their goals because it was depressing for people to be constantly reminded of their laziness. Lol.

Reactions: xDKP and aberrero

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
To be fair, fast walking is exercise too. I do notice that I end up with a lot more exercise credit, but what constitutes exercise is different for everyone.

Reactions: chrisvanhorn

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
I've noticed no change. Matter of fact, even with "Indoor/Outdoor Walk" selected in Workouts, I have to really be moving in order for it to register. If I walk leisurely for a mile, the calories and steps will register, but workout time may show <10 minutes of actual exercise.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexcue

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple needs to keep it consistent.

I am lucky and after not wearing my watch for a few weeks, I updated it and wore it on my run yesterday and it was very similar to past runs over the same trail. About a 2% difference over three miles. This small difference was typical between two runs before the update so I am not complaining.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've noticed it's easier to get exercise minutes but harder to burn calories. I prefer it the way it is now - the "exercise" ring was always advertised as recording anything at a brisk walk or above, but in Watch OS 1 it was incredibly hard for me to get any exercise credit (for example, a game of squash or five a side lasting an hour would typically credit me with 15 minutes!)

Reactions: Trius

Smilleybill

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
Noticed this as well.

Since the OS2 update, first week since i got my watch back in the 4-6 week delivery wave, that i have made the weekly exercise goal without even trying.

The watch used to remind me every day that i only usually do 15mins of exercise. Except on weekends when i am more active at home, lawns, chores, wood, etc. I go to work to rest.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Agreed, its too easy to increase your exercise minutes under OS2.

ianrip

macrumors 6502
i'm the same, on os 1.0.1 i had to actually exercise, now all i need to do is move around more, i think they may have reduced the heart rate limit to start so called exercise, I remember somone mentioning 100BP’S, it could be now lower
I’ve been sitting most of the day and I have 16mins already on the ring after 8 hours
can anyone else confirm this has been changed in code ??

Reactions: SHNXX

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
easier to get exercise, harder to get move calories and sometimes it takes longer than 1 min for your stand up and move to register!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Well if your heart rate is > 100BPM and you are moving and swinging your arms isn't that considered exercise?

zetaplus93

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
Yeah, also finding it much easier to fill the exercise and calorie rings.

I might be one of those lazy ones, but I do like the "easier" setting now. I'm closer to filling the rings now (I usually never fill the exercise ring unless I'm running, which I tend to do only 2-3 times a week) and it has motivated me to do more!

Reactions: AppleWes

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea the exercise ring is based heart rate, also workouts will fill in the time regardless of heart rate I believe

kioko91

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
I spent over an hour at the gym and my exercise ring didn't move at all. Just my stand and move. I wish mine actually registered my exercising on the treadmill and elliptical.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Looking forward to a fix.

I almost wonder if it has to be calibrated to what I consider "exercise", but out of the box on 1.01, it seemed to be right on the money.

On the plus side, I got my first full week of exercise badge. :p

Reactions: TheFluffyDuck

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010

</rant>

how stressful was the drive?

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Set the goal higher. I have hit goal every day since I got it. Am currently at 840, but usually hit closer to 1200. That requires 1.5 hours of basketball and 15 - 20 mile bike ride daily. If you break up the exercise, you get more burn rate because it records as long as your heart rate is elevated.

Lost 12 pounds so far.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Except that the Move ring moves much slower now. I have to reduce my Move goal for 100KCal to retain the same level of exercising.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I spent over an hour at the gym and my exercise ring didn't move at all. Just my stand and move. I wish mine actually registered my exercising on the treadmill and elliptical.
Are you wearing the watch too loosely?

kioko91

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Are you wearing the watch too loosely?
Sadly, that's not the issue. I wear my watch fairly tight (occasionally have marks from doing so but its too loose if I use the next hole up). It tracks my standing and moving just fine and my heart rate as well while I'm on the machines, which is why I'm so confused about the whole situation.

Kuroz

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Well if your heart rate is > 100BPM and you are moving and swinging your arms isn't that considered exercise?
Kind of wish they would let you set it up a bit or at least it "learn" what your non exercise resting bpm is. My resting heart rate is like 90-98bpm and so my exercise ring just fills up when I'm not even doing anything.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
Completely agreed, most days my exercise bar is doubled and that's just from bits of walking here and there, which I don't consider exercise, because I'd have done it anyway, I've been on OS2 since the first developer beta so I'm a bit hazy, but I don't remember it being this sensitive with OS1.

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
Never having OS1 but for a couple of days I don't see the big deal here, can't you just increase your goals to where it's harder to hit during your day? I look at my weekly average and sent my next week’s goals based off of that.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.