Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewnworxx

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
Edit all Nvidia web driver installers to pass system checks:

1) Copy the Driver WebDriverXXXX.pkg to 'Downloads'.

2) Start Terminal

3) Terminal: cd downloads

4) Terminal: pkgutil --expand WebDriverXXXX.pkg expanded.pkg

5) Right mouse click expanded.pkg and choose “Show Package Contents”, right click “Distribution” file and choose 'Open with TextEdit' or 'Open with TextWrangler'. Then modify the InstallationCheck() method to return always true:

Code:
function InstallationCheck()
{
//if (!validateHardware()) return false;
//if (!validateSoftware()) return false;

return true;
}

6) Save the “Distribution” file.

7) Terminal: pkgutil --flatten expanded.pkg flattened.pkg

8) Double mouse click flattened.pkg and install Nvidia web driver.

Exactly what I needed to know thanks!

That got the drivers installed, still had the wrong OS build number even after the 3.0 security update was installed but fixed that with a BBEdit change to the system version plist (no permission fix or touch required), and after a reboot was able to enable the drivers.

Up and running!

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

E-M-H

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
Hi -

I've downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA (WebDriver-343.02.02f04.pkg), but I am unsure how to get it installed on the boot disk that won't boot due to the Yosemite security update.

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro with 2 boot disks: one running 10.10.2 and one running 10.10.

After installing the security update on the newer disk, that particular disk will not boot. If I command+option+p+r during a restart, I can get the machine to boot using the older, 10.10 disk.

I've downloaded the latest driver update while on the 10.10 disk. I have access to the folder structure of the 10.10.2 disk through Finder - I'm just not sure what the next step is. Seems like I would follow the steps that Synchro3 laid out, but I'm not sure how to apply it to the newer OS, not the old one I'm currently in (which wouldn't work anyway).

Thanks for any assistance.

Ed

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hi -

I've downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA (WebDriver-343.02.02f04.pkg), but I am unsure how to get it installed on the boot disk that won't boot due to the Yosemite security update.

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro with 2 boot disks: one running 10.10.2 and one running 10.10.

After installing the security update on the newer disk, that particular disk will not boot. If I command+option+p+r during a restart, I can get the machine to boot using the older, 10.10 disk.

I've downloaded the latest driver update while on the 10.10 disk. I have access to the folder structure of the 10.10.2 disk through Finder - I'm just not sure what the next step is. Seems like I would follow the steps that Synchro3 laid out, but I'm not sure how to apply it to the newer OS, not the old one I'm currently in (which wouldn't work anyway).

Thanks for any assistance.

Ed

You either need to give us details or we have to guess.

Which GPU, what happened, etc.

Do you have an EFI card?

ssedlmayr

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
gtx570

And the security update also breaks the Nvidia Web Driver for 10.8.5.

However, my non-flashed GTX 570 2.5GB still works and Cuda is still playing nicely with Adobe AE & PP while using the Apple driver, at least...

Question:
Perhaps Apple's drivers are presently mature enough that with my 10.8.5/gtx570 combo, that using the Nvidia driver will not exhibit any performance boost over current OS drivers anyways... Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Lonnie

So I am updating a 2,1 mac, and need a video card. I am starting with the GTX120 flashed. After I get the 10.10 running, can I use the GTX570 unflashed in the computer? Anybody update a 2,1 computer to run 10.10 and then use an unflashed card? If so, can you tell me which one, and if a flashed one, which one, and are you happy with it? I need to run dual dvi with dual link, as I have two of the original 30" cinema with 2500x1600 resolution.

thanks

thanks

E-M-H

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
You either need to give us details or we have to guess.

Which GPU, what happened, etc.

Do you have an EFI card?

I have a Quadro FX4800 card, which replaced the original GeForce 8800 GT. Not entirely sure what an EFI card is, but everything else on the machine (other than a RAM upgrade and switching out hard drives over the years) is stock. Hope that info helps.

What happened is this:

I got a pop-up notification from NVIDIA saying a new driver was available. I ignored it for about a week. When I did finally install it and the machine went to reboot, it chimed several times, nothing came up on the screen, and eventually it turned itself off. Turning it back on replicated that behavior. I think that the Yosemite 2015-003 security update was applied during the reboot, but I'm not 100% positive. This thread described my situation most closely.

I'm currently able to access the older boot drive (see post above) and I've downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver update (WebDriver-343.02.02f04.pkg). Is there a way I can apply the update to the newer boot drive (with 10.10.2) when logged into the older boot drive?

Thanks, and let me know if you need more info.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Is there a way I can apply the update to the newer boot drive (with 10.10.2) when logged into the older boot drive?

Unlikely, but maybe someone here has a way to do that? Don't think you can choose a target disk for the update for it to be a few clicks and done. So it probably would require manual installation of specific files in specific locations, if you can extract them all.

Can you clone the older boot drive to the newer boot drive and "restart" from there? It's an option, not sure if you've considered it.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Unlikely, but maybe someone here has a way to do that? Don't think you can choose a target disk for the update for it to be a few clicks and done. So it probably would require manual installation of specific files in specific locations, if you can extract them all.

Can you clone the older boot drive to the newer boot drive and "restart" from there? It's an option, not sure if you've considered it.

-> https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20861422#post20861422

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have a Quadro FX4800 card, which replaced the original GeForce 8800 GT. Not entirely sure what an EFI card is, but everything else on the machine (other than a RAM upgrade and switching out hard drives over the years) is stock. Hope that info helps.

What happened is this:

I got a pop-up notification from NVIDIA saying a new driver was available. I ignored it for about a week. When I did finally install it and the machine went to reboot, it chimed several times, nothing came up on the screen, and eventually it turned itself off. Turning it back on replicated that behavior. I think that the Yosemite 2015-003 security update was applied during the reboot, but I'm not 100% positive. This thread described my situation most closely.

I'm currently able to access the older boot drive (see post above) and I've downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver update (WebDriver-343.02.02f04.pkg). Is there a way I can apply the update to the newer boot drive (with 10.10.2) when logged into the older boot drive?

Thanks, and let me know if you need more info.

Quadro 4800 is very old and doesn't "need" the Web Drivers to function.

I have noticed that the "self-init" part of Nvidia drivers has been pulling back support of older cards. Specifically GT120 cards no longer self-init without EFI.

You really need to figure out if it is an EFI card or not. If it has Dual DVI it is likely an Apple EFI card. If it has 1 or 2 DP outs then it is likely a non-efi card.

If the 8800GT was EFI, put it back in.

E-M-H

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
I ended up using OS X Recovery and reinstalling the OS. Everything's back to normal.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in.

Ed

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I ended up using OS X Recovery and reinstalling the OS. Everything's back to normal.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in.

Ed

Yikes, sorry you had to do that. It's beyond crazy that a security fix update causes all of these headaches. Really crossing my fingers that 10.11 Apple incorporates the newer nVidia driver into the OS.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Really crossing my fingers that 10.11 Apple incorporates the newer nVidia driver into the OS.
Really crossing my fingers that Apple fixes the newer Nvidia driver before incorporating it into the OS. The Nvidia web drivers have been broken for many versions as only one output at a time works on a GTX570. You can have 4 outputs e.g. DVI/DVI/MDP/HDMI whichwill all work individually but only one at a time so you can only connect one monitor.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Really crossing my fingers that Apple fixes the newer Nvidia driver before incorporating it into the OS. The Nvidia web drivers have been broken for many versions as only one output at a time works on a GTX570. You can have 4 outputs e.g. DVI/DVI/MDP/HDMI whichwill all work individually but only one at a time so you can only connect one monitor.

Fixes/improvements can come in time, right now it would be a good start to not lock you out of your damn computer when there's a security update until you go switching out spare parts.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Yikes, sorry you had to do that. It's beyond crazy that a security fix update causes all of these headaches. Really crossing my fingers that 10.11 Apple incorporates the newer nVidia driver into the OS.

Long long ago, I learned that so-called security updates cause more headaches, and to clone first. Wait 3 days, scan xlr8yourmac.com for feedback.

Up until Snow Leopard? you could apply combo updates and these on the non-boot drive - even a sparse disk image. Then boot from it and test it out. Or do all testing in a VM.

CCC takes just minutes to update an existing system backup and I have dozen old drives, including those 10K VelocityRaptors sitting around waiting for something to do to keep busy.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Kudos to all who participated in this thread!

Disabled Trim Enabler to avoid Stop Sign BSD

Updated CUDA in 10.10.1 to 7.0.29

Updated to OSX 10.10.2 (14C109)
Patched the security update 2015-003 1.0 -> 10.10.2 (14C1514)

Downloaded and installed the Nvidia 343.02.02f4.pkg

Enabled Trim Enabler

All worked out well thanks to all the very useful input in this thread. Kudos to all who participated. :cool:

Cheers

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^In installed this driver (346), and it killed Cuda (7.0.29). Is there a new corresponding Cuda Driver? I reverted back to the 343 driver and Cuda is up again.

Lou

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
^^^^In installed this driver (346), and it killed Cuda (7.0.29). Is there a new corresponding Cuda Driver? I reverted back to the 343 driver and Cuda is up again.

Lou

You're right. It breaks CUDA - at least CUDA-Z. I don't get any CUDA update from the CUDA control panel. So if you have a production system, perhaps it's better to wait just a few more days.

EDIT: For anyone curious, try this URL for CUDA-7.0.35: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/7.0.35/cudadriver-7.0.35-macos.dmg
At least CUDA-Z works with this version.

Last edited:

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
you probably need to do one thing in folder /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Libraries

cp libcuda_343.02.02_mercury.dylib libcuda_346.01.01_mercury.dylib

can try ?

nvm, cuda update is out there

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Do you have the link?

----------

NVM - The above update to Cuda 7.0.35 fixes the issue. Thanks Tom for both updates.

Lou

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hi, just ran these. Oddly I don't see a speed increase with Titan-X.

The disappointing part is that 5K support loses all resolution options except for full 5K and Retina 2560x1440.

CUDA update makes CUDA work, noticed some amazing high numbers in the "Host to Device" and "Device to Host", almost like they enabled PCIE 3.0.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Hi, just ran these. Oddly I don't see a speed increase with Titan-X.

The disappointing part is that 5K support loses all resolution options except for full 5K and Retina 2560x1440.

CUDA update makes CUDA work, noticed some amazing high numbers in the "Host to Device" and "Device to Host", almost like they enabled PCIE 3.0.

iirc, nvidia invested a lot in data compression algos for maxwell, guess it sends compressed data over pcie bus hence why faster speeds for decompressed

Does glviews now shows proper renderer name for titan x? not just nvidia graphics device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.