Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Ok, today's security update 2015-004 for OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion broke my Nvidia web drivers…

Now waiting a few days for new drivers.

Howsoever, no big problem with my GTX 680, using now Apple drivers.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I doubt that Nvidia will be updating drivers for Mountain Lion. You need to update your OS or do the build number change hack.

Lou

Hugbrother

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Hi all,

Have pretty much followed advice on here with no luck.

Running GTX 970 non EFI
OSX 10.10.2

Current webdriver 346.01.01f01

Can boot to Mac fine but won't boot to bootcamp on separate drive, worked fine until (I stupidly) updated something. Time Machined back, didden't work, then have tried all update/driver combos on this thread with no luck.

Any help appreciated...really want to get back to Elite!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hi all,

Running GTX 970 non EFI
OSX 10.10.2

Can boot to Mac fine but won't boot to bootcamp on separate drive, worked fine until (I stupidly) updated something. Time Machined back, didden't work, then have tried all update/driver combos on this thread with no luck.

I'm unclear, are you saying it doesn't work in OSX or Windows?

On our website we have a list of all Nvidia drivers broken down by build numbers. Important to pay attention to details.

Hugbrother

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
I'm unclear, are you saying it doesn't work in OSX or Windows?

On our website we have a list of all Nvidia drivers broken down by build numbers. Important to pay attention to details.

Thanks for replying, will check out the website for details.

Currently works fine in OSX, just won't boot to Windows on the 970. Did a time machine restore back to a time it last worked, will try that before doing anything else.

*Edit* Time machine did not work either and used your site to install the correct driver for my version (10.10.2 no security updates + 343.02.02f02) - Still cannot boot to Windows.

Would it be worth re-installing my bootcamp drive?

Last edited:

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
Hi all,

Running GTX 970 non EFI
OSX 10.10.2

Haven't been following the advice you've been getting, but have you tried disabling SIP?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Generally I've done all security updates through the App Store, as these don't change the OS X version number. Today, I installed a security update, and upon reboot, my Mac with GTX 980 is black screened. After screen sharing into it, turns out the nVidia driver is disabled on purpose and somehow not compatible with my OS version, even though I'm using 10.10.2.

This is incredibly stupid behavior and I will definitely not install any security updates again until I can obtain 100% verification that they won't cripple my machine just for fun. Beware of this update.

Purposefully broken?

No. Apple updated something that the third party drivers do not work with. If you're running the web drivers it is standard operating practice to switch to the built in driver before updating, and then install the new web driver post update.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Purposefully broken?

No. Apple updated something that the third party drivers do not work with. If you're running the web drivers it is standard operating practice to switch to the built in driver before updating, and then install the new web driver post update.

GTX 980 is not supported by built in drivers. I guess you have to update to 10.10.5.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
GTX 980 is not supported by built in drivers. I guess you have to update to 10.10.5.

GTX980 was not available when Mavericks was released, so of course the built in drivers don't support it.

A third party driver will perhaps need updating when you update your OS. Nvidia need to update the driver for Mavericks. If they do not offer a driver for 10.9.x any more that's not Apple's problem, it is Nvidias.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.