Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChillinNigerian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Yooessay
And ive always been a 'windows' person, as of right now I have a few questions:

1. Can a mac running VirtualPC get windows viruses?
2. Is a new line of macs coming out that will make the current macs obselete?
3. Can i transfer my PC files to a mac using virtualPC?
4. If i want something that will work well (perhaps doping light gaming and editing short videos/ music clips)for the next 4 years, how much will I have to pay?

Thnx

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
ChillinNigerian said:
And ive always been a 'windows' person, as of right now I have a few questions:

1. Can a mac running VirtualPC get windows viruses?
2. Is a new line of macs coming out that will make the current macs obselete?
3. Can i transfer my PC files to a mac using virtualPC?
4. If i want something that will work well (perhaps doping light gaming and editing short videos/ music clips)for the next 4 years, how much will I have to pay?

Thnx

Answers:

1. The os virtual pc is emulating will get the virus, the mac will not be touched.
2. There are always new macs coming out, just like pcs. WWDC at the end of June should have some good announcements, so I would wait until then to make your decision.
3. You can transfer your files without virtual pc... macs and windows computers can be networked together without any other special software. They can even be "directly connected" with a regular ethernet cord and you can just drag-and-drop whatever you want on over to the mac. :D
4. Macs last a lot longer than their pc counterparts, usually have a life span of 4-5 years. If all you are going to do is light computing I would recommend an eMac (if you need portability, I would go for the iBook) and you will spend around $1,100, give or take.

Hope that answers your questions. All in all, the mac is a great computing choice (I switched a year ago and have never looked back). It's stable, cool-looking and a lot more effecient at getting what you want done how you want it done, when you want it done. Good luck choosing!!! :D

- reaper

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
1. Dont bother with VPC, i have the 17" pb and i hate VPC (using XP).
I also was a windows user before i got this, and it was the best decission i ever made; It can handle mild gaming and easily handle video editing. My mac will deffinetley last 4-5 years, (most likely less because i wont be able to stand not having the G5 PB) but that is on my side, not the lifespan of the hardware. Mine was a little more expensive than $1100, but that's just because i had to have the 17" if i was going to make the switch....I had to amaze my Pro-Windows Computer Science friends..
Go for it, you won't regret it at all...trust me

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
Whether to wait for new lines or not depends on what kind of Mac you're considering. If you're thinking of a Laptop, both powerbooks and iBooks were just upgraded. They're brand new and it's going to be 6 months to a year before they're notched up again and/or something like a G5 laptop hits the market. So if you're thinking of getting an Apple laptop, don't wait. They're at the top right now.

Ditto if you're thinking emac, I believe they, too, were just upgraded.

If you're hungering for a G5, however, wait till July. Everyone's been talking about new G5's and they're overdue. So, any time now.

And as said, any Mac you get is going to really last you. G5's most especially. They're made to grow, adapt, develop as needed.

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
For Starters (Especially in Your Case)

Sounds like an eMac is the best for you. They've been recently upgraded, and the SuperDrive offers the best bang for the buck. Right now, the only difference between it and the iMac is the LCD screen. The CRT in your case would be better because it offers most accurate colour representation, good for gaming, photo, & video.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Calvinatir said:
My mac will deffinetley last 4-5 years, (most likely less because i wont be able to stand not having the G5 PB) but that is on my side, not the lifespan of the hardware.

Yeah, all of my macs have lasted 4-5 years and then after selling them used they have made me about 30-50% of the original resale value to put towards my new one so they hold their value!!! I have never had a part fail on any of the four macs I have owned or the 7 different macs I have used in my workpalce. In that same time period I have four siblings that own PC's of all quality/varieties and they have had to replace five mother boards, three hard drives, four modems not to mention a few sound boards, etc. in the time they have owned them. (I am knocking on wood as I type of course) This is not to say you will never have a problem with a mac...not true...but all the parts placed into macs are up to Apple specs...not indivudual computer resellers/manufacturers. Apple has had their share of defective parts such as mother boards, etc, but to my knowledge all the major across the board defects have been covered by apple.

why VPC? would help us advise you as to wether you really need it or not. Could save you lots of cash if not.

Good luck choosing and let us know if you need help with other questions.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
1. The windows install can get viruses and anything else Windows can get. It won't effect the Mac though--except maybe by hogging up your network if something is "calling home". Shutting off VPC will take care of that.

2. Yes, all current Macs will eventually be obsolete. The original Macintosh is pretty worthless right now. It will probably be at least 10 years before anything sold now will hit the "pretty worthless" category. Anything you buy today will probably give good reliable service for at least 4-5 years. Buy then you might want something faster.

3. What do you mean by transfer? You can just connect a Mac and PC with a network cable and tranfer files. You can also burn CDs and email stuff to yourself. What you can do that's cool in VPC is drag and drop files between your Mac and your virtual Windows. That can be convenient.

4. $799. A bit less if you're a student or teacher. More if you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.