Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Man, I can't believe there is so much blinding white, didn't Apple ever think we would use our phones in the dark? I know we can invert colors with accessibility options, but that's a poor solution as it also inverts colors. Something like windows high contrast mode would be nice. I see an increased contrast option, but I can't figure out what it affects.

Apple should consider the darker themes like Android, better yet give us a choice of a light AND dark theme. The phone borders on unusable in the dark.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
I'm more concerned about the 'blanding' white not the 'blinding'.
It all seems a bit flat and 'samey' to me.

gogo2

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Man, I can't believe there is so much blinding white, didn't Apple ever think we would use our phones in the dark? I know we can invert colors with accessibility options, but that's a poor solution as it also inverts colors. Something like windows high contrast mode would be nice. I see an increased contrast option, but I can't figure out what it affects.

Apple should consider the darker themes like Android, better yet give us a choice of a light AND dark theme. The phone borders on unusable in the dark.

does this means battery life will suffer?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I just reduced my screen brightness a little.

It is not that big of a deal to me.

No doubt that Apple would be "bending some noses" as 7 is a huge change after many years.

I suspect most will adapt! There is really little choice.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I totally agree. It seems like everything is white. Hate the notes look. I so wish there were options for some themes. The bright white makes me tired. Otherwise I like the changes.

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
+1 here too.

A real lack of subtleness that iOS6 had in places. Frightened to think OSX might go this way too. :eek:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It does take some getting used to...especially in mail. I turned the contrast up and the brightness down...that helps a lot. I guess I'll get used to it over time. The rest of the new features I like a lot..The pull up menu for volume / brightness, Airplay etc. The way photo's work, and the new camera layout are all better IMO.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Keeping the brightness low now helps. Hope Apple are taking note of these forums and how us users feel. Bring the changes to IO7.1 please.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE

Have you tried wearing sunglasses when using…..:D

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

Black or white makes no difference on iPhone screen (IPS LCD). It uses constant backlit unlike Samsungs OLED displays, which use much more power for white (or very bright colors).

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Try turning the brightness down when in the dark.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Gives me a headache. Really.

I have to turn down the brightness. I've never done this EVER, and if been a heavy computer user for 20 years.
It's just that iOS UI doesn't tweak enough.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
No, Apple uses IPS technology screens, color black, white, red, graphic make no difference to battery life other than backlight brightness.

Many Android handsets use AMOLED displays. Black uses less battery than White for that technology. Hence, they use more black.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Apple should consider the darker themes like Android, better yet give us a choice of a light AND dark theme.

I agree completely with your points, but let's be honest, Apple will NEVER do that. They would rather die than give us customization options.

Gives me a headache. Really.

I have to turn down the brightness. I've never done this EVER, and if been a heavy computer user for 20 years.
It's just that iOS UI doesn't tweak enough.

Same here, on all accounts.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Let me state right off I HATE to complain.

Yet, I can't help thinking there is going to be a **** storm coming.

I had pretty much switched to just using an iPad. I was happy :)

Then this?

Oh well......

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I totally agree. It seems like everything is white. Hate the notes look. I so wish there were options for some themes. The bright white makes me tired. Otherwise I like the changes.

Themes would be fantastic. They wouldn't have to go over board...just one 'bright' them and one 'darker' theme. Give the darker would be nice if it had black folder boxes and darker default icons...but that's probably asking too much.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Also another thing. Cook signed off on this. I don't think he knows what he's doing.

I guess they can say "just turn down the brightness, and gain another hour of usage"

Really rub it in :D

Last edited:

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
. . . I guess they can say "just turn down the brightness, and gain another hour of usage"

Really rub it in :D

That sounds like something dismissive such as Phil Schiller would say.

He's the exec that when asked why unopened slate coloured iPhone 5's were arriving at customers already chipped said,

"Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.