Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Got it. There's lag. Nailed it. My most common use case, scrolling up and down the control center while I'm barking orders to Siri.
This is completely ridiculous. I understood how some of the other issues I found aren't common use cases but this response is just stupid. It's not even a glitch to have Control Center come up. Maybe if I'm using Siri and, oh, I don't know, I accidentally slide from the bottom? How hard is that?

I KNOW IT'S NOT A COMMON USE CASE BECAUSE IT ISN'T A USE CASE AT ALL. Bringing up Control Center while using Siri should not be possible, therefore being able to do it is a Problem!
iOS 7 and 8 also disabled CC while Siri was active, so iOS 9 messed up by making it possible.

Fixing small issues contributes to something called UI refinement.

And this whole "not common use case" excuse is pathetic. I should never be able to send the whole UI off the rails no matter what I try to do.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is completely ridiculous. I understood how some of the other issues I found aren't common use cases but this response is just stupid. It's not even a glitch to have Control Center come up. Maybe if I'm using Siri and, oh, I don't know, I accidentally slide from the bottom? How hard is that?

I KNOW IT'S NOT A COMMON USE CASE BECAUSE IT ISN'T A USE CASE AT ALL. Bringing up Control Center while using Siri should not be possible, therefore being able to do it is a Problem!
iOS 7 and 8 also disabled CC while Siri was active, so iOS 9 messed up by making it possible.

And this whole "not common use case" excuse is pathetic. I should never be able to send the whole UI off the rails no matter what I try to do.

the fact that this doesn't happen in iOS 8 is the issue.
ios 8 was a basic mess; that it didn't happen in iOS 8 was overshadowed by other issues; none of which however were showstoppers just like this is not a showstopper.

This is a prime example of finding an issue in the corner off to the side that affects....nothing.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
It's not denial. It's the same recycled, pedantic, nonsense from both sides although the "lag noticers" are far more vocal, aggressive, and argumentative than those who are content with their devices.
Yes, this is a forum. It's for discussion, and this topic has gone well beyond the point of "discussion".
I don't get involved in the lag debate anymore.
When iOS 9 launched it was poor, 9.1 made small improvements but 9.2 has seen my 6 and Air 2 run fantastically, so I feel no need to get involved now. If I do notice anything, I report it but I've also added a lot of people to the ignore list simply because I can't be bothered with their mundane arguments clogging up threads.

It is too easy to read emotion into a post ....
Far too often the responses from some "feel" like: "so what? it's minimal so ignore it". Usually the same group.

Too true - it has gone beyond "normal" :D

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

Any way you look at it the issue boils down to sloppy programming. :cool:

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Got it. There's lag. Nailed it. My most common use case, scrolling up and down the control center while I'm barking orders to Siri.

This is because of a layer of dynamic blurring over another layer of dynamic blurring. That's the same thing done with 3D Touch app shortcuts and the App Switcher. Coincidence?

Sounds like everyday use to me.

Reactions: I7guy

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Woo :cool: over 1400 responses.

Hopefully Yahoo news will do an article on how laggy iOS 9 is so Apple will fix their planned obsolescence problem.

It *** (edit) MAY HAVE *** worked for the people claiming motion sickness, It made the news back then. Apple then promptly modified the reduce motion setting to disable the animations.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It worked for the people claiming motion sickness, It made the news back then, Apple then promptly modified the reduce motion setting to disable the animations.
I'm not sure a thread on this site did that. Nor am I sure that effects of essentially physical illness that some people had would be anywhere even close to being treated as small animation stutters that don't cause any actual issues.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I'm not sure a thread on this site did that. Nor am I sure that effects of essentially physical illness that some people had would be anywhere even close to being treated as small animation stutters that don't cause any actual issues.

I'm not sure it did either, but the news people picked up on it.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...sign-causing-motion-sickness-for-some-owners/

Article mentions of complaints in an apple forum, sure it did not specify what forum.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
If it's at 60fps and it drops to 50 you won't notice much difference but for the sensitive people like me I can see it,Besides it proves objectively that iOS 9 is slower than iOS 8.An undeniable fact

The only thing it proves is that the animations are slower. Frame rates do NOT prove objectively that iOS 9 is slower than iOS 8 overall, which is what you actually implied.

So, it's neither undeniable nor a fact.

Reactions: I7guy

itsJoeClark

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
ios 8 was a basic mess; that it didn't happen in iOS 8 was overshadowed by other issues; none of which however were showstoppers just like this is not a showstopper.

This is a prime example of finding an issue in the corner off to the side that affects....nothing.

I am just fascinated by your responses -- I just want to ask you something --

Why are you so strongly, so passionately defending Apple? You try to shoot down every demonstrable anecdote/video of lag/stutter, but to what end? What do you get out of it?

I assume that those of us pointing out the lag/stutter are annoyed and want to get as much attention to the issue as possible in the hopes that Apple fixes it (you know, to make the devices better for ALL OF US). But what exactly do you think you'll gain? I really want to know?

In terms of the control centre lag when Siri is active, yeah, we get it -- it isn't a use case, and it wasn't posted to be illustrated as such. What it is, though, is a demonstrable piece of evidence that Apple are losing their quality standards. Look back to iOS 6 on even a device as old as the 3GS and point out something as sloppy as that. PLEASE.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Not sure where you would really classify it but there is one aspect of iOS9 that is a pita. Animations on or reduced.
In an app > click Home > click another app. It doesn't launch. I was too quick and the animation or the "fade" had not finished. Then I have to click again once I realized the app never launched.
Big issue? Yes.
On every other device I use, (including my Mini and 6+ when they were on 8.x), Surface Pro, Note 5, etc ...; I could close/launch as fast as I could tap/click. I can still do that on all my devices except those on iOS9.x.
It's a little thing to some but a pita to me.

Now is that a lag or a deliberate lag?

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Not sure where you would really classify it but there is one aspect of iOS9 that is a pita. Animations on or reduced.
In an app > click Home > click another app. It doesn't launch. I was too quick and the animation or the "fade" had not finished. Then I have to click again once I realized the app never launched.
Big issue? Yes.
On every other device I use, including my Mini and 6+ when they were on 8.x), Surface Pro, Note 5, etc ...; I could close/launch as fast as I could tap/click. I can still that on all my devices except those on iOS9.x.

Its pure crap if you ask me and I can't see how the folks at apple haven't noticed and corrected it by now. I've submitted feedback to them. We are now up to 9.2 and still not corrected. One of my only two complaints with iOS 9, this and the awful stutter when using the split keyboard on the ipad.

It is really noticeable when you close an app and then try to launch another app immediately that has its icon on the dock.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Big issue? Yes.
On every other device I use, including my Mini and 6+ when they were on 8.x), Surface Pro, Note 5, etc ...; I could close/launch as fast as I could tap/click. I can still that on all my devices except those on iOS9.x.

I had that issue going from iOS 6 to 7, but not since (going from 7 to 8 or 8 to 9) once I had to adjust to how things worked in iOS 7 given that that was the new design going forward (at least the next redesign at some point down the line).

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I had that issue going from iOS 6 to 7, but not since (going from 7 to 8 or 8 to 9) once I had to adjust to how things worked in iOS 7 given that that was the new design going forward (at least the next redesign at some point down the line).

It did not work like that in iOS 8.4.1 It changed again with 9.0, I noticed it within a minute of using 9.0 on my iPhone 6 and my air 2. I honestly do not recall ever having to double tap an icon to launch an app in any version of iOS 8

Reactions: imagineadam

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It did not work like that in iOS 8.4.1 It changed again with 9.0, I noticed it within a minute of using 9.0 on my iPhone 6 and my air 2.
I guess I (and perhaps many others) adjusted enough in the iOS 7 days when that was a noticeable change that my use hasn't been affected by iOS 9.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I guess I (and perhaps many others) adjusted enough in the iOS 7 days when that was a noticeable change that my use hasn't been affected by iOS 9.

Maybe, I do run with reduced motion on all the time ever since iOS 7, so maybe that has something to do with it. I've used iPhones since 2008, never had to adjust to this before.

Reactions: dk001

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe, I do run with reduced motion on all the time ever since iOS 7, so maybe that has something to do with it. I've used iPhones since 2008, never had to adjust to this before.
Same here, never liked the moving/zooming effect that was there since the iOS 7 redesign and have had motion reduced ever since. It was definitely and adjustment coming from iOS 6 and earlier to 7 (for me and many others based on many long threads about it in early iOS 7 days), but not really since then (again, at least not for me, and it seems like quite a few others).

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I hate how random the stutters are too. One minute it could be smooth sailing, then suddenly things that were just working fine start stuttering. I don't understand why it isn't consistent.

Also, with 9.2 beta, sometimes I'll hit the back button and the drop shadow for the page will trail behind the actual page... what? It looks stupid!

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

The whole purpose of being a tester is to TRY to break things so that issues can be fixed. Just because you don't do something a certain way, doesn't mean nobody else ever will.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The whole purpose of being a tester is to TRY to break things so that issues can be fixed. Just because you don't do something a certain way, doesn't mean nobody else ever will.
Given all software has glitches, bugs and issues there are those that are worse than others. Springboard crashes are far worse than display issues was my point in the post. Just like the stuttery recents, which wasn't indicative of anything except the coding on that one screen. Yes, i agree testers should test but every little bug is not indicative that the whole thing is a mess.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

dark_knight177

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
Twitter is the worst for me on iOS 9. Constantly stutter while scrolling on my 6S. While my iPhone 5 on iOS 8.4.1 is scrolling through it at 60 fps not a single stutter. It boggles my mind how no one at Apple realizes what they did. And yes, my iPad Pro has the same frame drops in the same places as the iPhone 6S. I'm starting to think this is permanent since they haven't fixed it by now.

I concur, this is the list of apps that I started to experience scroll stutter on iOS 9 which I didn't experience on 8.4.1:
  1. Google Photos
  2. Google Drive
  3. Twitter
  4. Facebook
Granted, not all people can notice the stutter, just like my grandmother can't tell a difference between 480p and 4k tv. However most healthy people can.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I concur, this is the list of apps that I started to experience scroll stutter on iOS 9 which I didn't experience on 8.4.1:
  1. Google Photos
  2. Google Drive
  3. Twitter
  4. Facebook
Granted, not all people can notice the stutter, just like my grandmother can't tell a difference between 480p and 4k tv. However most healthy people can.
Nice job there at people basically saying something is wrong with them because they have a different experince. Way to stick to the actual issues when discussing things. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.