Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nice job there at people basically saying something is wrong with them because they have a different experince. Way to stick to the actual issues when discussing things. :rolleyes:
Yep, that was so blatant As to not respond. The only thing is to change the word healthy to ... Retentive.

Last edited:

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I have an 5s and oh boy, how bad experience it is. A device who was supposed to be powerful lags/stutters. I disabled animations but still suffers sometimes.

I have faith it will improve in 9.4 or something like that. Doubt they'll fix it in 9.2. Probably planned obsolescence like many say. Gonna stick to my 4-inch device (no pun intended) for as long as I can.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I have an 5s and oh boy, how bad experience it is. A device who was supposed to be powerful lags/stutters. I disabled animations but still suffers sometimes.

I have faith it will improve in 9.4 or something like that. Doubt they'll fix it in 9.2. Probably planned obsolescence like many say. Gonna stick to my 4-inch device (no pun intended) for as long as I can.
I cannot agree, my wife has my old 5s and my son has her old 5s. These phones have neither lag nor stutter.

sampai

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2015
Switzerland
Yes I7guy, we've already established that you don't see the lag/stutter.

I've seen four 5S on iOS 9.xx including one restored to factory settings and every single one lags/stutters.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes, and we've already established there are varied experiences across the board and lag and/or stutter might manifest itself in various random places. And we also get the "broken record" by virtually everyone that is part and parcel of this and some other threads.

Last edited:

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Yes, and we've already established there are varied experiences across the board and lag and/or stutter might manifest itself in various random places. And we also get the "broken record" by virtually everyone that is part and parcel of this and some other threads.
For clarity you should state that almost all features are off here as that was stated your prefered use in another thread.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I've examined at least 20 of my friends' iPhones with iOS 9 now - iPhone 5s, 6, 6s, etc. They all have various individual settings. None of them was perfectly smooth in Spotlight pull-down menu. I also noticed that scrolling and typing did lag in some apps (keyboard input would be displayed on the screen a couple of seconds after the input). And I also asked some of them to try the phone with parallax effects off. Same result. Exactly 2 (6 and 5S) had almost everything off for max battery - notification, location, cellular, etc (only a couple of apps installed). Same stutter.

I've also examined quite a lot of iPhones at Apple Stores on several occasions, and not a single one had no stutter in Spotlight. There was only one exception, and it was iPad Pro. But I used command + space to trigger Spotlight instead of gesture. And even that wasn't perfectly smooth.

That being said, ios 9 seems to be a stable system compared to 7 or 8. But on the subject of animation, there definitely is stutter.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
It did not work like that in iOS 8.4.1 It changed again with 9.0, I noticed it within a minute of using 9.0 on my iPhone 6 and my air 2. I honestly do not recall ever having to double tap an icon to launch an app in any version of iOS 8

iOS7 had the issue and then an update allowed us to turn stuff off and it was gone. Even with animations I could tap / close / tap and the taps registered. With 9 the taps no longer register. o_O

I guess I (and perhaps many others) adjusted enough in the iOS 7 days when that was a noticeable change that my use hasn't been affected by iOS 9.

That's the problem. iOS 9.x devices are the only devices where I have this issue. I don't plan on adjusting my "global" habits just because iOS has an issue. I am just using those devices far less (iOS) than I was. Hope Apple fixes it soon.

The whole purpose of being a tester is to TRY to break things so that issues can be fixed. Just because you don't do something a certain way, doesn't mean nobody else ever will.

in the world of software development THAT is one of the "set in stone" commandments. :D

Last edited:

dark_knight177

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
He says the iPad 2 is smooth.Get it?iPad 2.....and SMOOTH!!!!!

Just like i said earlier, not all people can notice the stutter, just like my grandmother can't tell a difference between 480p and 4k tv. However most healthy people can.

I7guy is one of the people who can't see the difference in stutter, I can't blame him, there's nothing he can do.

But I am starting to doubt his motives, because he seems to be the most vocal and tries to downplay EVERY flaw of Apple products, not just stutter.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Is this the same person that says chrome = safari and that its the exact user experience.

Have you used an iPad 2? Much better on iOS 9 than iOS 8 or iOS 7. Period. Just as an aside it would be better to stick to the topic and not the poster.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Is this the same person that says chrome = safari and that its the exact user experience.
Yup.I checked all of my sites on both and it was the same.There is no lag on Chrome and the single benefit it grants me which Apple cant ever is that I sync my bookmarks,history,and even live tabs across all of my devices including Android,Windows,Mac and Chromebook.The tab size is much friendly to the finger (Safari's tabs are indistinguishable from the main interface and have smaller close buttons) and to top it off Chrome offers pull down to refresh,swipe backwards and forwards gesture.The Safari experience is not even close.Only thing it has is a faster java engine which is immaterial as I dont see any difference.Unless you are completely into Apple's ecosystem "only" Safari offers no benefits whatsoever.I will take USEFUL features like tab sync,gesture support and continuous updates over a faster java engine.

On a side note,you should try Firefox.Its smoother at scrolling than both Safari and Chrome (for some wacked up reason although I am guessing it uses the Swift 2 framework).Unfortunately Firefox is **** on Windows so no use for me

Have you used an iPad 2? Much better on iOS 9 than iOS 8 or iOS 7. Period.
Actually I have a iPad Mini 1 which I bought when it was on iOS 7 and all of the subsequent releases are a nightmare on that device.Cant open more than 2 tabs and there is keyboard input lag everywhere.It takes the device a 3 whole seconds after my finger finishes typing a word

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yup.I checked all of my sites on both and it was the same.There is no lag on Chrome and the single benefit it grants me which Apple cant ever is that I sync my bookmarks,history,and even live tabs across all of my devices including Android,Mac and Chromebook.The tab size is much friendly to the finger and to top it off Chrome offers pull down to refresh,swipe backwards and forwards gesture.The Safari experience is not even close.Only thing it has is a faster java engine which is immaterial as I dont see any difference.Unless you are completely into Apple's ecosystem "only" Safari offers no benefits whatsoever.I will take USEFUL features like tab sync,gesture support and continuous updates over a faster java engine.

Actually I have a iPad Mini 1 which I bought when it was on iOS 7 and all of the subsequent releases are a nightmare on that device.Cant open more than 2 tabs and there is keyboard input lag everywhere.
Okay putting aside this other nonsense 512 meg of memory was a problem with iOS 6 and safari. I lived with it and didn't complain and it was a work horse. It was a work horse until iOS 8, in which the safari issues just made me put it down. I didn't pick it up again to use as a work horse until iOS 9. People were complaining about the number of tabs and reloading for years; I could live with the reloading not the webpage crashes.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Okay putting aside this other nonsense
Not nonsense.Just pure facts.Safari is only useful if you are into Apple's ecosystem.Otherwise its alternatives are JUST better
512 meg of memory was a problem with iOS 6 and safari. I lived with it and didn't complain and it was a work horse. It was a work horse until iOS 8, in which the safari issues just made me put it down. I didn't pick it up again to use as a work horse until iOS 9. People were complaining about the number of tabs and reloading for years; I could live with the reloading not the webpage crashes.
And here I keep telling you the problem lies on the single app.This is completely different from iOS 9 dragging the entire hardware down compared to a single app crashing which can be avoidable.Unless you know a ALTERNATIVE way I can actually keep these animations minus the lag just like how Chrome is for Safari
iOS 6 and 7 were the pinnacle of performance for iPad Mini .Its all a craphole from there

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not nonsense.Just pure facts.Safari is only useful if you are into Apple's ecosystem.Otherwise its alternatives are JUST better

And here I keep telling you the problem lies on the single app.This is completely different from iOS 9 dragging the entire hardware down compared to a single app crashing which can be avoidable.Unless you know a ALTERNATIVE way I can actually keep these animations minus the lag just like how Chrome is for Safari
iOS 6 and 7 were the pinnacle of performance for iPad Mini .Its all a craphole from there
so is there really anything new to say about this?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
so is there really anything new to say about this?
Yeah.Just calling out untrue statements which you keep repeating over and over

Have you used an iPad 2? Much better on iOS 9 than iOS 8 or iOS 7. Period. Just as an aside it would be better to stick to the topic and not the poster.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Cant believe this guy denies factual evidence
K48UFtS.png

Wins-
iOS 9 =2
iOS 8 =5

The Ars Technica reviewers opinion

"The keyboard often needs time to catch up to your input. Tab reloading in Safari is a fact of life, and the constant reloading is something you'll notice even more if you're using iOS 9's new hardware keyboard features and its alt-tab app switcher. There's often just a hint of hesitation for common tasks—pulling up the keyboard, flipping from portrait to landscape, pulling down the notification shade. Again, none of this is new to iOS 9, but iOS 9 doesn't do much to fix it either."

One more

The above video shows how AWESOME the tablet was on iOS 6 and what Apple turned it into

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I forgot to mention in my previous post:

Spotlight can be smooth if pulled down very slowly. Maybe taking 2-3 seconds.

Furthermore, Spotlight also stuttered on 4 iPad Pros I played with. I tried everything - closing all apps, reduce motion, reboot/hard reset, etc. Same stutter. If iPad Pros with beefy hardware display such stutter, then it is software issue.

Reactions: miknos and dk001

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Cant believe this guy denies factual evidence
K48UFtS.png

Wins-
iOS 9 =2
iOS 8 =5

The Ars Technica reviewers opinion

"The keyboard often needs time to catch up to your input. Tab reloading in Safari is a fact of life, and the constant reloading is something you'll notice even more if you're using iOS 9's new hardware keyboard features and its alt-tab app switcher. There's often just a hint of hesitation for common tasks—pulling up the keyboard, flipping from portrait to landscape, pulling down the notification shade. Again, none of this is new to iOS 9, but iOS 9 doesn't do much to fix it either."

One more

The above video shows how AWESOME the tablet was on iOS 6 and what Apple turned it into
Who cares about iOS 6 vs iOS 8, really now. That safari opens up .2 seconds slower in iOS 9 according to one test? This is your "evidence"? That iOS 9 is head and shoulders above iOS 8 in stability, so iOS 8 crashes more fluidly?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Keep in mind people that 17guy has all of his effects off. He has reduce motion on and reduce transparency on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.