Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Dr.Gargoyle said:
I don't think so...
I'll say this, then:

Every one I know who has even considered switching to a Mac ... their first question, always, is "Can it run Office?"

"No," is not an option. "Full compatibility," for most folks, is not an alternative or an option. They want Office. OS X can offer that, so OS X suddenly becomes an option.

Take away Office, and I strongly suspect that Apple will cut their potential convertable userbase in half.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
An iPod with WiFi that will stream to an AirPort Express, or, a RF remote w/ LCD screen for AirPort express that will let me control iTunes without having to go up to the computer.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
ChrisBrightwell said:
I'll say this, then:

Every one I know who has even considered switching to a Mac ... their first question, always, is "Can it run Office?"

"No," is not an option. "Full compatibility," for most folks, is not an alternative or an option. They want Office. OS X can offer that, so OS X suddenly becomes an option.

Take away Office, and I strongly suspect that Apple will cut their potential convertable userbase in half.
I agree. As it is now, pages is NOT an alternative for word.
Since Apple never make any ads for Macs people have no idea. If peoples knowledge about Apple was a bit better and if Apple had a 100% compatible suite then it might be posible to convince people to use this instead of office.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 21, 2005
ChrisBrightwell said:
I don't think you understand, though, that iWork is not Office.

People ... want ... Office.

I DONT WANT OFFICE! :)

Theres something about Microsoft Office for Windows or Mac that I just can NOT stand! I think it is the UI and the the way in which the program responds to user actions.

I do like Corel Word Prefect. Had to drag out my old Marocrap system and install the trial version of Word Perfect for a class I was taking a year or two ago.

I havent spent too much time with Pages though, seemd a bit too ?vacant? with a lingering hint of Appleworks. I REALLY want Apple to work hard Developing iWork. Work harder on UI (get away from Appleworks), user interaction with the programs, integration of programs, a feature of being able to hide/unhide options and features that the user may or not need or use. A control panel would work for this under Preferences, an on/off switch for features, if you dont use and have never used the ?Mail merge? feature, HIDE IT, what good is it to have options and features available at my fingertips if I never use them? ........

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
biohazard_6969 said:
a cool feature would be to be able to close windows while they're minimized in the dock, somewhat like windows.
You can do that, but only with Finder windows, I think...

biohazard_6969 said:
i'd also like to see a small little thing...when i right click on a document in finder, i want an option that says 'mail' so it will put the doc right in an email
There is two ways out of the box ways to do that, either just drag the file to the Mail icon (in the Dock or Applications folder) or choose in the Finder menu -> Services -> Mail -> Send File...

(I also think I actually have seen a way to make Send File a part of the context menu in Finder with a 3rd party plugin, but I cannot find it right now... :()

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
...or you can just make your own Automator Finder context menu (works like a charm):

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 136

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
cube said:
- FireWire <-> Ultra320 SCSI converter
Ultra320 SCSI is so much faster, a FireWire 800 converter wouldn't even do it justice. Ultra320 SCSI has 320 MB/sec max rate, as opposed to 800 Mb/sec max rate. Notice the capitalization of the 'b'. FW800=~100 MB/sec... 3.2 times slower than Ultra320 SCSI. :eek: Ultra2 SCSI would do fine, that is only 80 MBps.

cube said:
- real-time OS and file system
Not sure what a real-time OS is, but isn't Spotlight kinda close to the real-time file system?

cube said:
- remove 128GiB disk limit in older Macs
That is hardware. You can get a different driver, but that is an extension and is kinda iffy. OS 9 only. (It is the ATA controller, you can get a PCI ATA-133 card to get around this issue)

cube said:
- better QA for OS releases
The world is a beta tester. Apple can't have every single hardware/software configuration in the world. They just can't. So they hope they did a good enough job they won't have any issues. But there are ~5 bugs per thousand lines of code for any piece of software (ignoring Windows ;)). I haven't have any major issues with Tiger... I'd say Apple did an overall pretty good job.

cube said:
- 12-bit per component gfx
Not sure what you mean, but 32-bit color has been around for years... so I think I don't understand.

cube said:
- worldwide AM/FM radio in iPods
I don't listen to the radio. This is an unneeded feature for me and a good after-market add-on thingy. Plus, often times the reception of the AM/FM radio of small devices sucks. Why? No or small antennae. The iPod would look pretty fugly with an antennae on it IMO.

cube said:
- Bluetooth in iPods
It takes a looooong time to sync my Shuffle over USB 2.0 anyway. Bluetooth would be a million times slower. Well, close to a million anyway.

cube said:
- "clock iPod" with radio, programmable snooze, good detachable speakers, and replaceable speaker cables
This would be pretty cool.

cube said:
- standard Bluetooth 2.0 EDR in iBooks
- SuperDrive option for iBook 12"
These would eat into the 12" PowerBook sales.... and the 12" PowerBook needs some serious work!

cube said:
- don't cripple video outs
Assuming you are talking about the iBook and iMac, (and eMac) those are so the "Power" lines look better.

I'm not attacking what you said, just explaining why.... so please don't get defensive...

I'd like to see GigE, Lighted Keyboard, and FW800 on the 12" PowerBook. Make it a PowerBook and not a glorified iBook. PCMCIA would be nice but due to size, I could give it up. Also another USB port would be nice to have!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
cube said:
- remove 128GiB disk limit in older Macs
Speedtools.

I want a headless 2GHz G5 for around $1200-$1500. Thought about the iMac, but I need my own screen and a second (if not third) hard drive. Not to mention future video card and PCI slot upgradeability. I can't believe they're still selling that single 1.8 for $1499. WWDC maybe?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
solvs said:

You have to abide by their safe partitioning guidelines. If you want to be able to straddle the 128GiB boundary, and have a boot partiton greater than 128GiB, one needs new firmware.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Mechcozmo said:
Ultra320 SCSI is so much faster, a FireWire 800 converter wouldn't even do it justice. Ultra320 SCSI has 320 MB/sec max rate, as opposed to 800 Mb/sec max rate. Notice the capitalization of the 'b'. FW800=~100 MB/sec... 3.2 times slower than Ultra320 SCSI. :eek: Ultra2 SCSI would do fine, that is only 80 MBps.

Ultra2 Wide SCSI is 80 MB/s. OK, we can do with it for now (just because I want it for FW400, otherwise it would have to be Ultra160 to saturate the FW800). So, FW800 but compatible with FW400 (saturated at 50 MB/s)

Not sure what a real-time OS is, but isn't Spotlight kinda close to the real-time file system?
That has nothing to do with a real-time filesystem. See XFS.

That is hardware. You can get a different driver, but that is an extension and is kinda iffy. OS 9 only. (It is the ATA controller, you can get a PCI ATA-133 card to get around this issue)
I have a Cube. The firmware needs to be updated. See previous post.

The world is a beta tester. Apple can't have every single hardware/software configuration in the world. They just can't. So they hope they did a good enough job they won't have any issues. But there are ~5 bugs per thousand lines of code for any piece of software (ignoring Windows ;)). I haven't have any major issues with Tiger... I'd say Apple did an overall pretty good job.

It doesn't have the same quality as other Unix vendors.

Not sure what you mean, but 32-bit color has been around for years... so I think I don't understand.
12-bit per component color is 36-bit RGB, and 48-bit RGBA.

I don't listen to the radio. This is an unneeded feature for me and a good after-market add-on thingy. Plus, often times the reception of the AM/FM radio of small devices sucks. Why? No or small antennae. The iPod would look pretty fugly with an antennae on it IMO.
I don't want add-ons. Others put radios. If you don't like like it, don't use it.

It takes a looooong time to sync my Shuffle over USB 2.0 anyway. Bluetooth would be a million times slower. Well, close to a million anyway.
Who wants to syncronize the iPod using Bluetooth? We want headsets.

These would eat into the 12" PowerBook sales.... and the 12" PowerBook needs some serious work!
Sorry, but if I have to order an iBook from a shop in Spain, I cannot customize it. Just make the PowerBooks better.

Assuming you are talking about the iBook and iMac, (and eMac) those are so the "Power" lines look better.
People who buy them don't care about that.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
cube said:
You have to abide by their safe partitioning guidelines. If you want to be able to straddle the 128GiB boundary, and have a boot partiton greater than 128GiB, one needs new firmware.
Oh, I didn't notice that. You're right. That kinda sucks. I go to http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso and have noticed that other similar models can have larger drives, but I guess Cube owners aren't so lucky. Sorry about that.

Try e-mailing Apple. Probably won't do any good, but couldn't hurt.

treysmay

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
toronto, ontario, canada
amen

solvs said:
Speedtools.

I want a headless 2GHz G5 for around $1200-$1500. Thought about the iMac, but I need my own screen and a second (if not third) hard drive. Not to mention future video card and PCI slot upgradeability. I can't believe they're still selling that single 1.8 for $1499. WWDC maybe?

amen, thats exactly what i want. the imacs are to restricting.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
1. Much cheaper prices, and even larger educational discounts. Seems like every time I want anything from apple, I have to plan to live off instant noodles for another month.
2. G5 powerbooks or at least something to remedy the FSB bottleneck.
3. A ton of myth-debunking commercials. I was drawn in by the halo effect, but if it weren't for the iPod, I would never have even explored the possibility of a mac.
4. Even more integration, especially with more cell phones
5. Less focus on games, and more focus on productivity software. Not really looking for a jack-of-all-trades mac - I just want to get my work done, period. (And sneak in a little WoW.)

But honestly, things are already pretty sweet. The only one I'm really deperate for is the lower costs. And a G5 powerbook would be a nice thing, but from what I've read, the current G4s get the job done. Everything else is pretty much just icing. :p

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
neildmitchell said:
I DONT WANT OFFICE! :)

Theres something about Microsoft Office for Windows or Mac that I just can NOT stand!

I don't want it either. It crashed on me today as I scrolled through a document (and not the first time.) 2 crashes today, 3 on Friday. Just because the industry uses it doesn't mean it's a good product, just look at IE. :rolleyes:

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
A Bang & Olfsen esk home everything. Stero, Video, telephone, home theater, common remote.

Apple pda/cell phone with 6g hd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.