Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
The picture is starting to come together for the 6.1" iPhone and 3D Touch. It seems Apple is replacing the 3D Touch module with a cheaper sensor layer which allows them to rely on software for pressure sensitivity.

In January, Kuo reported the 6.1" model would be using an out-cell touch display sensor. Out-cell is more expensive to manufacture. This may be due to limitations of using Japan Display's thin-bezel Full Active LCD panels. All current LCD models of iPhone use in-cell touch sensors. To offset this cost, Apple is removing the 3D Touch module.

Last week, Kuo predicted the 6.1" display would have a new cheaper, mystery sensor layer in place of 3D Touch.

He is now suggesting:

Kuo said the 3D Touch module may be removed from 2H18 6.1” LCD iPhone, but pressure sensing function, simulated by software, is likely to be retained.

"In our view, pressure sensing (3D Touch) has not been critical to user experience," he said. "Therefore, despite the performance of software simulation lagging that of 3D Touch module, it should
still be sufficient to deliver on user experience."

If software 3D Touch is accepted by consumers, Apple might try to implement this on the OLED models and iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluecoast

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This Make sense to me. Back when the iPhone 6s launched and when 3D Touch was introduced, Tim Cook talked about the difficulty with 3D Touch implementing it into the iPhone. If this is a cheaper method to allow the software for pressure sensitivity, then I think this is going to be geared towards the iPad line as well, which would be highly welcomed. (And much needed).

The problem with 3D Touch is most consumers have no idea what it does and they don’t use it, and when they do inadvertently use 3D Touch by invoking an action, they are confused. Why should Apple keep investing in this technology knowingly that Kuo is correct, which seemingly offering a cheaper alternative seems more appropriate.

Do we know if this software still might use the haptic engine for the initial feedback?

Julienne

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Texas
I always assumed that 3D Touch was taking a while to reach iPads because the current gen Pencil tech was incompatible, but if this rumor is to be believed and it really is Apple’s intention to only include 3D Touch in their highest end iPhones, I don’t think it’s worth it anywhere.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I always assumed that 3D Touch was taking a while to reach iPads because the current gen Pencil tech was incompatible.

3D Touch has nothing to do with the Apple Pencil, because the iPad never offered 3D Touch to begin with. To Incorporate 3D Touch on the larger display likely has his technological difficulties, and it lacks the haptic engine for feedback as well. As I mentioned, Cook already mentioned the difficulty implementing 3D Touch on an iPhone, so imagine the challenges with a larger 10.5 or 12.9 inch display.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I still can’t believe that 3D Touch was the major feature of the 6s phones. Or that the battery was made smaller to support it.

Julienne

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Texas
I still can’t believe that 3D Touch was the major feature of the 6s phones. Or that the battery was made smaller to support it.
I like the 3D Touch... problem is I always forget it's even there, so I don't use it much. Just can't seem to make it a habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.