Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
A while back one of the users talked to the lead members of Linkin Park who said they had no problem with online music purchasing, so I'm more inclined to think it's the managers saying they need to retain their "Artistic Reasons".

sosumi

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2003
Gothenburg, Sweden
Greed Day?

If their whole album is a great piece of art, maybe they should trust their customers to come to that conclusion. We don't hear any complains from artists like Bob Dylan and Alanis Morisette who really creates true albums. I would never by a single song from Blood On The Tracks, I would by the album. I mean Linking Park and Greed Day.... Com'on! I think the Music Store really has a chance to improve the quality of music in the long run.

I just saw Iron Maiden on the Roskilde festival (Denmark) and Bruce Dickinsson made a great speach. Something like: "We're now gonna play a song from our forthcomming album and I'm sure somebody here is gonna record it and send it out on the net... But that's just fine. Download it all you can because they ain't gonna play it on the radio. And if our next album is crap, download that too. But if it's great, promise me you will buy it. Do we have a deal?"

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i can see both sides of this argument - look at a band like Radiohead, who obsessively labor over track running orders in order to create a complete *album* and not just a collection of songs. i believe their one album on the iTMS was pulled because they weren't comfortable with allowing people to purchase individual songs.

OTOH, as a number of people have already stated, taking away the legitimate option for people who want to get single tracks ensures that they will look elsewhere, to kazaa or wherever, and then the artists lose income, and the riaa can moan some more about stealing music.

as for metallica, i never liked them or knew much about them so i can't really say it's a huge loss, but the rhcp definitely had albums that would have benefitted from some editing. bloodsugarsexmagik was about 25 minutes too long...

CheekyGit

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2002
Alabama
Forget about them anyway...

If they don't want to play then...screw em. I hope Kazaa, Morpheus, LimeWire and company send you all to the poor house.

Metallica's latest album sucks royal. You hear that Lars and James ... you suck!!!

I never understood the RHCP music anyway.

Greed Day is still around???

I thought the Van Halen brothers were egotistical, but Metallica takes the cake. At least I see Van Halen music in the ITMS. I don't hear them complaining.

C'mon boys, the 80's and 90's are dead. Time to grow up like the rest of us.

Just my 99 cents worth...

CheekyGit :D

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Well, if artists won't allow their music to be distributed through legal channels - then I have no sympathy.

-> Let the illegal distribution continue

They get no money for their work. Tough

The music market has changed, its about time artists catch up with consumer demand.

X-Baz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Leeds, England
surely they're missing the point - if the album works as a complete piece of "art" (and I'm fully behind them saying that) then people will buy it as an album. If it's a piecemeal collections of songs then people will pick and choose. It's not like any of these bands refuse to sell singles is it? Or have a three minute video on MTV?

SlowX

macrumors regular
May 16, 2001
Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN
i WANT albums (sometimes)

Me, i WANT to buy entire albums very often. In fact, I hate that there are (still?) so many "Partial Albums" in the store.

But that's when the album, as a whole is good. When just a few tracks are good, then maybe artists need to reeaxmine what they do.

I mean, I always wondered about artists who release "Greatest Hits" albums. Shouldn't EVERY song be a GREAT HIT in the eyes of the artist? Or could it be that (GASP!) some songs on CDs, well, suck?

:)

SlowX

macrumors regular
May 16, 2001
Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
i can see both sides of this argument - look at a band like Radiohead, who obsessively labor over track running orders in order to create a complete *album* and not just a collection of songs.

That's why I'd ONLY buy an entire Radiohead album.

leenoble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Whole Album

Since 'The Bends' I'd be hard pushed to listen to an entire Radiohead album from start to finish since by about the third song I'd have slashed my wrists.

I need someone to pass me the prozac whenever I hear a single one of their songs on the radio.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Re: Ummm...

Originally posted by midifarm
Are these "artists" heads so far up their ass that they really think because they sell a million CD's that every song is fabulous? There are few and far between albums that are flawless. I'm all for the guys getting paid. Let's face it, compared to the label and the distributor and even the retailer the guys you actually write and perform the music get nothing, maybe $.03 per disc. Apple is offering you $.12 per song! Do the math guys. That's typically $1.20 per disc if they buy the whole thing. Something's not wired correctly!

Are those numbers accurate? Just wondering.

I think an album like "The Wall," for instance, should be listened to in its entirety. But even that album had singles.

Squire

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
It would be nice if these fat cats suffered for their art again. Maybe it would remind them of where they came from and their product would improve.

As a few others have said, I don't begrudge them the right to control distribution of their "art." Just as Apple refuses to change the way it does things to gain more of the mass market (going cheap, abandoning design, following rather than innovating), these music acts are self-selecting a smaller audience.

Good for them. I hope it works out the way they think it will. Otherwise...

enjoy the government cheese, boys.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I am confused, Green Day does have albums for sale, 6 in fact... and one of them is their biggest seller, Dookie. So what is their beef?

I know it is the artist option to sell through iTunes but I think as the audience and fans, we should encourage these artist by emailing them from their web sites.

I also think that their statements regarding single song sales ends up looking very foolish due to all the over priced cd singles that they flood the market with.

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Why cant they at least offer their older albums up for singles sales, they would still be making money and probably more for instance, where people who would not normally listen to thier music will have a try at 99c...hardcore fans have already got their whole collection for Gods sake..I mean do Metallica really think they can increase their audience to anyone under 25? geezz

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: Re: Ummm...

Originally posted by Squire
Are those numbers accurate? Just wondering.

I think an album like "The Wall," for instance, should be listened to in its entirety. But even that album had singles.

Squire
Same with Dark Side of the Moon, but it's on iTMS. (so is The Wall, btw)

Pink Floyd get's it - why don't those other guys --- oh yeah, they're idiots!:rolleyes:

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Re: Greed Day?

I just saw Iron Maiden on the Roskilde festival (Denmark) and Bruce Dickinsson made a great speach. Something like: "We're now gonna play a song from our forthcomming album and I'm sure somebody here is gonna record it and send it out on the net... But that's just fine. Download it all you can because they ain't gonna play it on the radio. And if our next album is crap, download that too. But if it's great, promise me you will buy it. Do we have a deal?"

Comments like that make me want to buy the album no matter how bad it is.

About bands mixing tunes together and stuff...I personally believe there's a less noble reason than for the sake of art. I was thinking, a few months back, how a band could get more album sales and dissuade people from downloading. After listening to the latest Oasis album (which has a lot of songs "running into" the next one), I realized that they would be crappy-sounding downloads. (Kind of like recording stuff off the radio.) The latest Foo Fighters disc has a DVD bundled with it. Cool idea. Audioslave's CD will unlock other tunes from their website if it's in your drive. As Jack Welch said, "Change before you have to."

Squire

By the way, can anyone recommend some Chili Peppers albums? (Seeing as the ITMS doesn't run here, I have to buy albums anyway.)

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: What about radio?

Originally posted by moby1
Soooo...These these bands don't want their music played on the radio either since most stations won't play an entire album?

Why don't they have the "artistic integrity" to tell us the real reason; they're holding out for more money.

I think an album is a work of art - and to be viewed as a whole. If I really wanted it, I'd buy it.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
Re: Re: What about radio?

Originally posted by gotohamish
I think an album is a work of art - and to be viewed as a whole. If I really wanted it, I'd buy it.

I certainly think an album can be a work of art (e.g., Supernatural by Carlos Santana) but more times than not, they are simply a collection of songs.

Artists who don't contribute to iTMS also deprive themselves of the ability to expose the audience to the excellent 30 second samples. To get that kind of exposure the artists need to depend upon customers visiting brick and mortar retailers who offer that service. For me, I don't think I'll ever buy music from a physical store again.

merge

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2002
THIS IS SUCH A LOAD OF CRAP!!

seriously...

#1... Thosse bands have been putting out really crappy albums with 1 or 2 "good" songs...
They know that.... we know that... and they want us to spend $15 to listen to those songs, and skip the others???
That is crap..

The Apple music store lets you preview all songs for 30 seconds, and those bands all know that no one will buy the songs if they get to hear them first...

I hate Metallica...
It is funny how the bands with too much money are such little bi#ches about their songs... but the bands with no money just want to be heard...

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
hehe I never liked linkin park anyway.. and rhcp has become pretty lame from the old days :p

I don't mind.. I usually listen the whole album through since most of the music I buy I know there's no tracks I don't like. and if there is, they are very few.

still the thing I want is iTMS to europe and european labels onboard..

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Re: Some Bands Say No to iTunes

"When our artists record a body of work, it's what they deem to be representative of their careers at that time."
How about we agree to buy their albums, if they agree to offer a money-back guarantee that the album doesn't suck?

'Cause I'd sure like to return a couple recent Metallica CDs.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Most CD's only have a few good songs anyway, so they failed on their part. Just like the RIAA, they fail to see that the consumer dictates the market, not anyone else.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Some Bands Say No to iTunes

Originally posted by Macrumors
[BThe Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Green Day and Linkin Park are
[/B]

...all old, dated, crappy sounding bands.

Plus we all know about Metallica and their witchhunt on the napster kids.

RHCP and Green Day will continue to release clichéd albums, metallica will continue to lose bassists and Linkin Park will be forgotten in a few minutes.

No big loss. :)

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
They WILL Change...

Originally posted by QuiteSure
These bands will eventually have to change. As an earlier poster pointed out, the single tracks are available on Kazaa and similar services. Although illegal, they do offer the "singles only" choice.

But these bands are missing out on a much deeper level. I look in my 400+ CD collection and I see:

Red Hot Chili Peppers: 0
Metallica: 0
Linkin Park:0

I also see 0 Dixie Chicks, Thorns and Coldplay, but thanks to the iTMS I have purchased several of their tracks and will certainly buy more. So the three "rebel" bands will lose me as a "sampler" of their music, because I have already demonstrated a reluctance to buy a complete album of theirs.

When at the end of this year itunes hits Windoz and becomes global, the bands opting out now will see how much they're losing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.