Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Just found out I have it on my mid 2011 iMac too.
I don't have it on my mid 2011 iMac.
neither on my iPhone 4S.
can't test on iPad cause I've returned my 1 day old Retina mini to buy an Air instead.(size preference).

superlatic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Leeds, UK
Recently returned a White 32GB WiFi iPad Mini with Retina Display for this issue.

I was fortunate enough to be able to walk into John Lewis yesterday and pick one up.

Did the test in this thread and whilst the image retention was not as extreme as this, it was noticeable after having the grids on for 10 minutes, and was also noticeable in the middle of the screen (which isn't really clear in this picture).

Shame, as otherwise was one hell of a tablet, put the iPad 3 that I recently sold to shame speed wise.

However, for anyone in the UK still wanting one, John Lewis said to me they are expecting a 'steadyish' supply, and do have them available to purchase in store, but recon they will be completely sold out early December. Also for another week offering a 3 year guarantee as standard.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Recently returned a White 32GB WiFi iPad Mini with Retina Display for this issue.

I was fortunate enough to be able to walk into John Lewis yesterday and pick one up.

Did the test in this thread and whilst the image retention was not as extreme as this, it was noticeable after having the grids on for 10 minutes, and was also noticeable in the middle of the screen (which isn't really clear in this picture).

Shame, as otherwise was one hell of a tablet, put the iPad 3 that I recently sold to shame speed wise.

However, for anyone in the UK still wanting one, John Lewis said to me they are expecting a 'steadyish' supply, and do have them available to purchase in store, but recon they will be completely sold out early December. Also for another week offering a 3 year guarantee as standard.

Is John Lewis like a Macy's?

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Mac Pros are an entirely different beast, and can only sortakinda be compared. That $100 million manufacturing plants are probably responsible for building the chassis, cooling components, the case, and the assembly for the MPs. The two most difficult parts to make, the CPU, GPU, and motherboards, are fabbed offsite by Intel and AMD.

On top of that, the Mac Pro is a much slower seller than any of the iDevices. Apple doesn't need to hire nearly as many employees to churn out millions upon millions in a short amount of time to meet demand.

And a third, Apple has always manufactured some of their own products in their own backyard. The Mac Pro (and some iMacs, I believe) being produced here isn't a new thing, rather a return to the oldschool. And much like now, they didn't do any of the fabbing themselves. They've always outsourced to someone else to make their CPUs, motherboards, and screens.

To put it simply, Apple homegrowing all the separate components of the iDevices under their own umbrella would cost a helluva lot more money than what they're spending producing Pros stateside. Likely by a factor of a thousand. Producing CPUs, motherboards, and LCD panels requires a lot of specializing that costs tons of cash to make. Doing it quickly, efficiently, and massively requires even more money, and a good bit of expertise to do it well.

Yeah, Samsung can do it, but they can subsidize the cost of all their fabbing plants by dabbling in a little bit of everything, from fridges, to TVs, to computers, to stereo equipment, to life insurance. They're a conglomerate in every sense of the world, and are a thousand times bigger than Apple ever will be. Apple, on the other hand, is a company focused on doing a narrow range of products well, as per the wishes of Steve Jobs. For them to grow to the point where they could actually justify making all their components inhouse would destroy what Apple currently is.

Good points. Thanks for sharing.

rmcrys

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
I have just received mine after a week waiting for it in Germany and... Retention issue!!!

I thought the thing was limited to a couple of devices, but as it seems, it is a widely problem :mad:

The problem is also bigger as:
- I bought it through Apple Online Germany
- In Germany (or at least on my area), stores DO NOT have iPad minis retina to sale!
- I bought it now because I need it...now, and if I send it back I need to wait A LOT of time until I receive a new one (and no guarantee that it is "image-retention-free")

So my question is: what can you do for me Apple??? Until I lose the trust that you sell products problem-free / immediate change... :mad:

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I have just received mine after a week waiting for it in Germany and... Retention issue!!!

I thought the thing was limited to a couple of devices, but as it seems, it is a widely problem :mad:

The problem is also bigger as:
- I bought it through Apple Online Germany
- In Germany (or at least on my area), stores DO NOT have iPad minis retina to sale!
- I bought it now because I need it...now, and if I send it back I need to wait A LOT of time until I receive a new one (and no guarantee that it is "image-retention-free")

So my question is: what can you do for me Apple??? Until I lose the trust that you sell products problem-free / immediate change... :mad:

Send it back, and they will send you a new one. If you are looking for more than that you will be dissapointed.

gimarbazat

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
iPad mini Retina 16GB NO IMAGE RETENTION

Hi all,

I just got my iPad mini retina half hour ago as I ordered online within the first 5 min when launched.

I was very nervous reading about the display issues so first thing I ran the test. After 8 min of testing no ghosting on my black 16gb. While making changes to this post I ran the test again for 10 min and no problems at all. The colors are indeed not as saturated as on the iPad Air but that's not a big deal for me. In fact I think the colors on the Air are over saturated.
Here is more info about this device using the serial number with chipmunk.nl:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Name: iPad mini Retina
Family name:
Group1: iPadMini
Group2:
Generation: 2
Screen size: 7.9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Space Gray
Production year: 2013
Production week: 45 (November) (Nov. 4-10)
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 16GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: DQ (China - Foxconn)

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If it happens, Apple will give me a new one. Everything is in iCloud and Dropbox. I can restore from a back up in ten minutes.

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
50% chance of scattered ghosts.

Picked up a wi-fi only 16GB in store the day of release, zero image retention issues.

Picked up a cellular 32GB yesterday and it has horrible image retention issues. I won't be keeping it.

Have another 16GB wi-fi only arriving tomorrow that I'm not going to open and test. It will get returned unopened (or go on fleabay)

Also have another 32GB cellular that should arrive tomorrow that I WILL test. If it's better than the ghosting cellular model, I'll keep it. If it's as bad or has other issues, it's going back as well.

Not a big deal really, I expect quality variance in brand new (Apple) products. If it's a continual issue after 3 or 4 tries, I might just get an iPad Air instead.

cue003

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
Ordered 2 ATT 32GB rMini cellular versions 1 hour after they were available for ordering. Items shipped and received on Monday. Both with very bad ghosting. I ran the test several times waiting almost an hour between runs. The ghosting on these 2 would start at around the 4 min mark.

Ordered 2 more ATT cellular for local pickup. Went and picked them up, ran tests again on those. Also have ghosting. The ghosting would start at around the 7 min mark to be bad.

Returned first 2 and picked up a 16GB non cellular rMini. Ran test. no ghosting at all. This one is a keeper.

Picked up another 32gb ATT rMini from a different store and the ghosting is very faint but still there. Tested while in the mall (mall has wifi) and this was the best of the group by far so I returned the other 2 cellular rMini that I had with me and kept this new one that I just picked up at the store.

So I am at 5 32GB ATT rMini (2 ordered and 3 picked up locally from 2 different stores) and all 5 have ghosting. The one rMini I picked up that was NONE cellular has no issues at all.

I have kept the 32gb white cellular that has very very minimal ghosting and the 16gb non cellular that has no ghosting. All other items were returned to the store for refunds. My credit card is a mess until all the refunds come through.

I am not sure if I could have done exchanges or not but I wanted to do side by side and keep the best of the lot.

Now I am trying to decide if I should keep the one I currently have or try a couple others out until I get the one with no ghosting whatsoever.

I did notice that with the 5 cellular 32gb rMini that I have gone through that the screen temp have been different across the screens. There was one in the first batch that was noticeably warmer than the other with a slight yellowish hue.

Thanks.

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
32GB "VZW" version arrived today. Image retention issues also. So that makes two cellular models with image retention issues, one wifi only without.

After reading this thread, makes me think that it's primarily an issue with the cellular models. I'll probably go exchange both of them tomorrow in hopes that one is better.

Also:

The first T-mo one I got has a higher overall color temp (more blueish) and is more even
The wifi only and the VZW that arrived today both have warmer color temp (more yellowish) and have a yellow tint at the right side corner near the home button.

Not sure which I prefer yet. It's interesting seeing 3 at once though.

Edit: I figured it was a long shot, but I updated one of the cellular iPad minis to 7.1 beta and the image retention issues/burn in is still there. The same iPad has a loose and intermittent lightning connector, so it's definitely getting exchanged.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I tried the test on my iPad 4 ... 6 minutes and I've got a faint image retention, barely noticeable at borders.
This is a non-issue.
If I look at the screen test for 5 minutes my real retina has a worst image retention than my iPad !!!

Are you going to change your eyes until you find a good one ? :D

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
I tried the test on my iPad 4 ... 6 minutes and I've got a faint image retention, barely noticeable at borders.
This is a non-issue.
If I look at the screen test for 5 minutes my real retina has a worst image retention than my iPad !!!

Are you going to change your eyes until you find a good one ? :D

Oh, I also ran that test... DO NOT look at the pattern while it is set to the grid... It's one of those optical illusion tests.

Exchanged the two Cellular models I had today. The new vzw mini also has the issue but it doesn't seem as pronounced as the other one. I will open up the t-mo one and check it in a few minutes, though I suspect that this is an issue with ALL of the cellular ones. If the t-mo one was good, I wasn't going to open the spare.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
There is no optical illusion involved here.
Image retention is something your eyes are experiencing all the time.

In my opinion you are keep changing perfectly functional iPads ....

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
Well, the 4th one seems to be a keeper. The image retention isn't that bad. It's still there, but not as pronounced and seems to fade a bit faster than the others. Out of the two that I got yesterday, it has a more favorable color temperature as well. #3 had a yellowish tint on it, #4 is higher with a more white/blueish white tint.

When I want a yellowish tint, I'll install f.lux (hope the jailbreak comes out soon after 7.1!)

monokrome

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
So let me get this straight. Apple owners purchase a device, then take it home and instead of enjoying it, they run multiple torture tests on each piece of hardware looking for some kind of flaw so that they can return it, get a new one, then go home and run the same torture tests again? At what point does any of this sound fun? How about you just take your new toy home, unbox it, and enjoy the damn thing?

Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.

Yes, because it's only Apple users that want to ensure that they get what they paid for. Taking a couple hours to ensure that investing on your new device doesn't make any sense at all. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Let's just buy stock in 30 companies at random while we're at it. Who cares what we invest in as long as we've invested in it, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.