Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I don't think that "ownership" is the issue with Sharp. It's having the right technology, equipment and engineers who can produce the desired quality. Apple as the owner will still have to work with the same people, machines and processes as before - unless they can poach some Samsung engineers en masse....

Is that an issue? They bought that semi-conductor company so they could design their own chips to give them a competitive advantage. They could do the same with displays. Do the R&D work in house so they own the IPO and Patents and then farm it out to be manufactured. I don't see the problem with that. If you think how many displays they must use in a year across all their products I bet it's a lot.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
So many pixels packet with low build quality.

I think the real issue here is Apple chopping and changing it's suppliers and always going with the lowest cost supplier rather than the most reliable and best quality suppliers in order to maintain their margins regardless of the cost to customers. This could just be an isolated problem but it's part of a pattern in which every Apple hardware and software product released over the past few years has had problems which are discovered just after release. What on earth is their quality control department doing.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
So many pixels packet with low build quality.
"Apple is like BMW"

We only have ourselves to blame. The consumer ultimately decides what's important.

Watts/channel became the most important spec on stereos (at the expense of distortion and signal processing), even though most people would be shocked to hear how loud it is when using 1 watt.

Megapixels became the most important spec on cameras (at the expense of low light performance and sensor quality), even though most people don't use the pictures at their full size anyway.

Horsepower became the most important spec on cars (at the expense of torque, which is more meaningful for acceleration), even though most people never hold the RPMs high enough to use high horse power.

Now resolution is the most important spec on screens (at the expense of color accuracy and contrast), even though resolution difference isn't nearly as perceptible as color and contrast.

I continue to shake my head at people wanting to buy cheap Chinese 4K TVs with terrible contrast and color... when the resolution difference is not even visible at their viewing distance.

Bistee

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Same issue on iPad air

I experience the same issue on my iPad air. Is there anyone out there who don't have the issue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 169

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
...my retinas retain a image of the the sun too...wow...

Yeah then tell me why no complaints of IR on iPhone display, or iPad display, or Macbook display, or HDTV display? Even plasma TV barely has IR now.

Yes our retina balls retain images when staring at high contrast images. Doesn't mean our sceeen has too, right?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Is that an issue? They bought that semi-conductor company so they could design their own chips to give them a competitive advantage. They could do the same with displays. Do the R&D work in house so they own the IPO and Patents and then farm it out to be manufactured. I don't see the problem with that. If you think how many displays they must use in a year across all their products I bet it's a lot.

PASemi were quite successful and were in a working relationship with Apple before their acquisition. They were not screw-ups. All that changed was ownership - good work was being done by their engineers before and the added resources took them to do better things.

Sharp has been having trouble with its design, manufacturing and quality - just how would Apple buying them fix it? Does Apple have a crack team of display design & manufacturing experts sitting in house? If yes, they could just as well help Sharp, as consultants, without buying the whole company. If not, Apple would become the boss of a bunch of people and factories that are having trouble turning out a good product now. Not sure how Apple would magically change the situation.... without bringing in new talent or processes, as I had mentioned earlier.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
No. What you perceive in your daily use is the real test. Don't feel you need to return it over an edge case requiring a special test to see. You might end up with a noticeably worse replacement.

I was thinking the same thing. How often will I actually notice anything like this in real usage. How often will a single image be on the screen for any length of time to 'burn in'? If I'm not using it then the display is off.

Seems to me that this is, for the vast majority, a non issue. And it is being trumped up as a huge deal by haters and hit whores.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
i'm sure that, like for the iphone, Tim will brag about how fast they'll reach record sales for the new iPads

it will be like XX millions the first weekend

from now on, he should communicate on what percentage of this figure is defective

"it's amazing, millions of people lined up in order to buy their defective iPad Mini Retina"

followed by the email to the employees:

Team

We've screwed lots of people again, i am so proud of all of us. Let's do it again

Tim.

:rolleyes:

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I was thinking the same thing. How often will I actually notice anything like this in real usage. How often will a single image be on the screen for any length of time to 'burn in'? If I'm not using it then the display is off.

Seems to me that this is, for the vast majority, a non issue. And it is being trumped up as a huge deal by haters and hit whores.

That's why I think apple allowed these sharp displays through. Most customers won't notice and people are eager to buy them. It's only for the people that it does affect in real-world usage that it will annoy. The LG displays from the first batch are mostly sold by now I'd reckon, only Sharp displays will remain.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I tried Arment's test and my rMini DOES NOT have the retention issues. So the issue is not with all rMini devices.

That's the catch with basically all verified 'defects'. They are never all devices. Often a very scant cut of devices.

But the blogs want hits so they will trump it up to be a huge design flaw as if every possible unit is affected

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
LG sucks.I've never been a fan of LG products in general ,they are miles behind Samsung in terms of quality.
but doesn't Air also have LG display? and iMacs also?

why doesn't Apple use Panasonic displays by the way? their displays are among the best just like Samsung's.reliable and very high quality.

I remember I read somewhere that Panasonic were interested in manufacturing LCD displays for Apple products.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I really don't know what it's like in the US or anywhere outside of europe, but in the netherlands, when you become aware of image retention, apple is simply abligated to either refund or replace your device, this is how warranty works. You can easily show any apple store employee that this is obviously a problem and that it is one you didn't cause. I don't get how you can possibly be caught with your pants down...

If you can show it exists and sticks you will have no issues anywhere.

But something that is barely noticeable and disappears in no more than 20 seconds. And only happens if you intentionally force it by leaving a single image up in a fully bright screen for 10 minutes, 20 minutes. Well almost every consumer law has clauses about standard use, normal behavior etc and it would be pretty easy for Apple to say that the usage wasn't normal and the device is within spec so therefore not defective.

Now they might be nice and swap it anyway if you are in warranty to shut you up and get rid of you, or they might not if you act like an ass.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
If you can show it exists and sticks you will have no issues anywhere.

But something that is barely noticeable and disappears in no more than 20 seconds. And only happens if you intentionally force it by leaving a single image up in a fully bright screen for 10 minutes, 20 minutes. Well almost every consumer law has clauses about standard use, normal behavior etc and it would be pretty easy for Apple to say that the usage wasn't normal and the device is within spec so therefore not defective.

Now they might be nice and swap it anyway if you are in warranty to shut you up and get rid of you, or they might not if you act like an ass.

I agree with you about normal use. But remember this are being used to read material, look at pic and other static images that could be present for extended periods of time and image retention could be a pic issues

Not to mention Apple has shipped many of my products with brightness very high increasing the chance of image retention

Also there is an implied expectation by Apple that their products just work and are of high quality. We do pay a price premium for their products.

So I do not feel bad for Apple(even as a shareholder) if people make excessive returns. I love the integration of their products but their quality is not the best and CS in my personal experience as been not top-notch either and I buy Applecare + mainly because the repair costs are so high on many of their products.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I had heard that this was why they were delaying the minis. If they released it without solving the burn-in problem then shame on them and users should get a free replacement.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
That's the catch with basically all verified 'defects'. They are never all devices. Often a very scant cut of devices.

But the blogs want hits so they will trump it up to be a huge design flaw as if every possible unit is affected

Yes from what I hear this only affects a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of iPads. Something like 0.001%. I don't think this tiny number warrants a front page story on MacRumors. We're just feeding the haters here. :rolleyes:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Yes from what I hear this only affects a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of iPads. Something like 0.001%. I don't think this tiny number warrants a front page story on MacRumors. We're just feeding the haters here. :rolleyes:

And I hear that it's about 40% of all rMinis. I wonder why New York Times has not picked up on this one yet.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
I have both the Rmini and the Air side by side

I have both the Rmini and the Air side by side

if you look carefully it looks like the mini has a bit less colour saturation. That being said, if you rise brightness a bit more on the mini then they look exactly the same... imo thats a non issue...

----------

40%? Where did you get that information??

probably is butt...

wrightc23

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Given that I've just spent the last few weeks using my Macbook Pro 13" retina as a paperweight due to Apple shipping it with a serious software defect that caused it to lock up several times a day it would be great if Apple could ship a new product without significant defects just once in a while.

Not surprising, eventually this will all chip away at Apples reputation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.