Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Bought the Macally Bookstand2b yesterday on eBay. $28 shipped. No idea if it uses a magnet but if not I'm going to buy some thin magnet tape to get the backlight on/off working (hopefully it will be strong enough).

BOOKSTAND2B_03.jpg

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Bought the Macally Bookstand2b yesterday on eBay. $28 shipped. No idea if it uses a magnet but if not I'm going to buy some thin magnet tape to get the backlight on/off working (hopefully it will be strong enough).

BOOKSTAND2B_03.jpg

I read in another thread (maybe another forum) that someone contacted Macally and they said it does not have magnets, but a future revision will.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Again, I love the case, but I doubt if we see this case anytime soon. I've been waiting on the Speck Toughskin case to release for a couple of months now. I just ordered the Pixelsleeve to hold me until if and when this case releases.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Again, I love the case, but I doubt if we see this case anytime soon. I've been waiting on the Speck Toughskin case to release for a couple of months now. I just ordered the Pixelsleeve to hold me until if and when this case releases.

I pinged Speck last night on twitter and they responded saying the following:

@Metagamers iPad 2 PixelSkin HD Wrap... 1st half of April, possibly in major US stores before it shows up elsewhere. We'll keep u posted!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
That one looks like the perfect one, I might just order it today. Sigh will be funny in a couple of days sitting with my case but no ipad.

Perfect if you want a ton of your iPad 2 exposed, all sides, corners etc. I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I pinged Speck last night on twitter and they responded saying the following:

@Metagamers iPad 2 PixelSkin HD Wrap... 1st half of April, possibly in major US stores before it shows up elsewhere. We'll keep u posted!

Good info! My Pixelsleeve will hold me till then.

SmittS

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I emailed Speck regarding the magnet feature.

"Not currently.

The Smart Cover from Apples require magnets to sleep/wake up. *This is something that there may be some patent protection on, so we have to be careful before using this type of system on our products."

There must be some sort of licensing agreement other manufacturers are paying into to use the smart cover feature.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010

"Not currently.

The Smart Cover from Apples require magnets to sleep/wake up. *This is something that there may be some patent protection on, so we have to be careful before using this type of system on our products."

There must be some sort of licensing agreement other manufacturers are paying into to use the smart cover feature.

Ugh, that stinks. I don't think I'd get it without the magnets. I don't want to hit the screen off button every time I close the case. I wonder how Marware is getting away with it?

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010

"Not currently.

Haha that is a cut and paste response. They said the same exact thing word for word to me. They must be getting asked it a lot.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
With a big fat lawsuit possibly

Well not necessarily. Speck didn't say that apple definitely had it patented...just that they wanted to make sure before they started producing something.

And honestly pressing the sleep and wake button isn't very difficult to do.

This is still my favorite case so far.

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
Well not necessarily. Speck didn't say that apple definitely had it patented...just that they wanted to make sure before they started producing something.

And honestly pressing the sleep and wake button isn't very difficult to do.

This is still my favorite case so far.

+1. I cant wait to return the smart cover for it. I can live without the magnets.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
Does anyone know what the release date is? I tried contacting them but they responded with a generic email. I read in one article (can't find it now) that they'll ship in mid-April. Ugh...that's so far away.

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
Does anyone know what the release date is? I tried contacting them but they responded with a generic email. I read in one article (can't find it now) that they'll ship in mid-April. Ugh...that's so far away.

I received the generic email as well... I wonder how hard this thing will be to put on and off? I know the pixelskin for ip4 is pretty damn hard.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I do not care if it has magnets or not as my iPad will go to sleep without them.

This WILL be my iPad2 case the second that Speck releases it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.