Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnnys2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
Yes, I did it and im crying inside, I've spilled a full 500ml of whey, creatine and water on my MacBook Pro 2017 without Touch Bar keyboard. my keyboard feels a little bit weird now, but no key is sticking to the end anymore, and the trackpad stopped working properly for 2 days but it looks normal now. Im afraid that I could cause some damage that occours overtime, and since I live in Brazil, we don't have apple stores around here. what should I do? continue using careless, or send it to an ''clean up'' some place authorized by apple? I dont know if the whey made its way to the motherboard. but every time I turn on my fans the smell it exales is the same of the whey.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I would get it cleaned ASAP. If no Apple Store then from an authorized repair facility. Corrosion has an impact on electronics long after the water has dried.

I can't imagine creatine and whey cooking down to a bubbling paste and beyond on a hot circuit board could end well.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Ouch. Yeah that cannnot possibly be good. That sounds like a bad spill and I would be getting a repair.

Do you have household insurance that might cover it?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I recommend that you not use the machine anymore, disconnect the battery cable from the logic board, dismantle the machine, clean all affected parts with pure isopropyl alcohol, let dry for a few days, look for corrosion and clean again if necessary before reassembling.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
**** happened to me too!! Sucks so much. I didn’t clean my 2015 pro thoroughly with a professional and it died after a week (screen, but SSD lived)

Reactions: SDColorado

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Yes, I did it and im crying inside, I've spilled a full 500ml of whey, creatine and water on my MacBook Pro 2017 without Touch Bar keyboard. my keyboard feels a little bit weird now, but no key is sticking to the end anymore, and the trackpad stopped working properly for 2 days but it looks normal now. Im afraid that I could cause some damage that occours overtime, and since I live in Brazil, we don't have apple stores around here. what should I do? continue using careless, or send it to an ''clean up'' some place authorized by apple? I dont know if the whey made its way to the motherboard. but every time I turn on my fans the smell it exales is the same of the whey.

You'd think the MBP would get stronger now but seems Apple didn't think of making their computers being able to digest proteins yet.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Too late now but I have a firm rule about food and drink around my laptop. They have to be far apart!

A little bit of salad sauce on the screen and chassis is ok but anything more dripping into the MBP should be avoided.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Too late now but I have a firm rule about food and drink around my laptop. They have to be far apart!
I have to re-work my desk, but I used the Rain Design mStand. There's too much crap on the desk to accommodate the stand since getting the laptop but that will change shortly.

The advantages to that is that its physically raised off the desk in case of spills. I do drink coffee but I use an external keyboard and the laptop is away from any risk and is typically in clamshell mode.
2018-08-24_06-39-58.png

[doublepost=1535107432][/doublepost]
m afraid that I could cause some damage that occours overtime
There is a risk of corrosion, that can occur.

we don't have apple stores around here. what should I do?
I would find an authorized apple dealer, or a computer repair shop that is reputable and have them clean it out, and/or try to clean up the mess yourself if you are comfortable with opening up the laptop and have the tools. If you never did this before, I don't recommend it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Someone is going to get a hell of a buff laptop! Don't forget to do some sets of Cinebench with progressive overload :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Super sorry that this happened. As others have said, make sure to properly clean it).

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have to re-work my desk, but I used the Rain Design mStand. There's too much crap on the desk to accommodate the stand since getting the laptop but that will change shortly.

I keep any food on the credenza behind me so I can have accidents and not damage my laptop. I had a friend who accidentally poured his coke on his laptop and it was the end for it. Sad as it was less than a week old.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would get it cleaned ASAP. If no Apple Store then from an authorized repair facility. Corrosion has an impact on electronics long after the water has dried.

I can't imagine creatine and whey cooking down to a bubbling paste and beyond on a hot circuit board could end well.

You’re right. And somebody as myself who uses protein weigh and creatine, it hardens like liquid cement when it dries. So likely there is more damage here that can not be fully rectified by cleaning it. This is a really difficult situation, especially if it’s mixed with liquid and powder form, it literally hardens like rubber cement. Either way, I would say its a matter of time before it affects other components, ect.

Reactions: SDColorado

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Next time don’t waste money on useless supplements based on dodgy broscience :p

I take issue with this statement. Creatine is very well researched in medical and sports science and its effects are well established and well understood.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I take issue with this statement. Creatine is very well researched in medical and sports science and its effects are well established and well understood.

Have you got any links to anything? I just searched (Briefly, I don't care that much...) some medical journals but could only find small sample size, best case studies. I couldn't see anything conclusive, or far reaching, of anything but 'marginal' gains. I'm just curious, not a dig :)

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama

You’re talking to a guy who was deadlifting 860 for reps three decades ago.

But you know....on the internet we all genius level with equal opinions.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Have you got any links to anything? I just searched (Briefly, I don't care that much...) some medical journals but could only find small sample size, best case studies. I couldn't see anything conclusive, or far reaching, of anything but 'marginal' gains. I'm just curious, not a dig :)

I really like this website for supplement research, as its the most comprehensive organised collection on information I am aware of: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

Sure, sample sizes are small, but there are a lot of studies that all have similar conclusions. And of course any gains will be marginal. All supplements can do — at best — is to help to optimise the biochemistry.

You’re talking to a guy who was deadlifting 860 for reps three decades ago

And you have my sincere respect, I am sure that my own achievements will aways be at least one astronomical distance away. But I don't see what this topic has to do with personal athletic performance. I see it as an issue in the academic domain. And there are enough academic studies to argue towards a specific conclusion — at least according to what I've seen.

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
I really like this website for supplement research, as its the most comprehensive organised collection on information I am aware of: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

Sure, sample sizes are small, but there are a lot of studies that all have similar conclusions. And of course any gains will be marginal. All supplements can do — at best — is to help to optimise the biochemistry.

And you have my sincere respect, I am sure that my own achievements will aways be at least one astronomical distance away. But I don't see what this topic has to do with personal athletic performance. I see it as an issue in the academic domain. And there are enough academic studies to argue towards a specific conclusion — at least according to what I've seen.

Even though it is off topic now I can answer from a science perspective and also from usage (almost all the top bodybuilders from the 80s and 90s are friends).

The effects are very limited in most people. Its effects are greater in people who have deficiencies in the first place, hence these things are called 'supplements'. The studies that are normally cited are done on subjects who are in a fasted or depleted state.

If you have a well balanced diet then supplements like these mostly cause water retention - one of several reasons (including drug misuse) why heavy users look so bloated these todays compared to their counterparts 20-30 years ago.

Anyway I'm not super proud of my strength achievements when I was younger. I wake up in pain every day and am on painkillers. Many people who do that suffer from the same fate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.