Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

165905-cydia_icon.jpg

Over the weekend, a new jailbreaking tool known as "Spirit" was released, offering users the ability modify their iPhone OS devices to run third-party applications not approved or distributed by Apple. Notably, Spirit is compatible with all three iPhone OS devices: iPhone, iPod touch, and now Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G iPad models. Spirit also offers an untethered jailbreaking solution, allowing users to restart their jailbroken devices as necessary without the need for a computer to assist with the booting process.

In addition to the usual jailbreaking caveats regarding Apple's disapproval of the process and the possibility of unexpected behavior requiring the user to restore his or her device, Spirit's author notes that the iPad jailbreak remains in beta form and that certain application packages can cause problems for users' devices.

Spirit is a jailbreaking tool only, and does not unlock locked iPhones for use on other carriers than those officially supported by Apple. It does, however, install Cydia, the popular application store where users can obtain apps for jailbroken devices.

Article Link: 'Spirit' Jailbreak Tool for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch Released

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
That was fast. Though not overly unexpected considering that the iPad OS is basically the same as the iPhone.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Holy freakin' crap, that works quick! I plugged in my iPod, hit "Jailbreak", and it whirred for second and my iPod restarted, already jailbroken!

If it's stable, then I'm going to be very impressed.

jW

EDIT:
is there Any Instructions on how to Do this?
Look at the beginning of my post. Not that it requires any instructions...

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Resale value killer

Well, that just killed the resale value of my early 3GS. The market just got flooded with many more jailbreakable phones. Oh well, at least mine is still able to be unlocked, and now I can jailbreak my iPad if I ever want to.

(not entirely serious, but partly fwiw)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Couple good reasons to jailbreak I've found:

Themes (some really nice ones out there, I'm a fan of Buuf2)
Quick Application launchers (although many of these need updates yesterday)
Apps that Apple disallows

Bad reasons to jailbreak:

Stealing apps
Just because

One thing to keep in mind is that jailbreaking certainly can cause your iPhone/iPod to be less stable. I've found that to be the case sometimes, though it depends on the apps I've installed. Anything that doesn't function like a normal app, but can be accessed while using another app, or that modifies another app, has the potential to decrease stability. Don't jailbreak unless you are willing to take the risk, and preferably can troubleshoot such issues yourself.

jW

pazimi

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
I have a 3rd gen, 64GB iPod touch with firmware 3.1.2 installed and i've ALREADY jailbroken my pad with blackra1n. ( and I have a MBP, for that matter )

I don't want to screw anything up, 'cause I don't have time right now to fix it (in case anything goes wrong). so, I wanted to ask you WHICH SCENARIO IS MORE LIKELY TO WORK?

1. I let iTunes to download 3.1.3 and restore the device ( I don't care about contents of my iPod ).
2. Just download 'Sprint' and hit the button.

OR

1. to download the 'iPod3,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw' manually, then install it through iTunes ( by holding option when clicking on 'Restore' Button. and of course the iPod is in DFU mode ).
2. Run 'Sprint'.

???

thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.