Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Seems like a no-brainer for Spotify to just accept the new terms, pay Apple the €0.50 Core Technology Fee, and distribute the app outside the App Store. They could even raise the price by €0.50 to compensate and I doubt anyone would bat an eye. Of course, then they'd lose the talking point against Apple, which seems to be Spotify's main goal at this point.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
This isn't really a "clash". It's just a notice that if Spotify want to place these items in their app they need to agree to the terms.

Reactions: herz3272

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
I can agree if Apple takes 20-30% for Apps which customers purchase from App Store. But they shouldn’t do the same with subscriptions.

But the cost of Spotify is the subscription. If Apple didn't charge for subs, every app on the Store would be free with IAPs and Apple would make literally nothing.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
so why should spotify get access to millions of ios users to market their app? apple spemt millons and years to grow their user base so your saying competitors can just freely access and market to apples customers? what and why would a company do that? its like having mcdonalds required to put a burger king poster adverising for it whopper in its store for free. its nonsense.
What is with this weird sentiment that Apple like owns us or something.

babalougots

macrumors regular
May 5, 2021
Seems like a no-brainer for Spotify to just accept the new terms, pay Apple the €0.50 Core Technology Fee, and distribute the app outside the App Store. They could even raise the price by €0.50 to compensate and I doubt anyone would bat an eye. Of course, then they'd lose the talking point against Apple, which seems to be Spotify's main goal at this point.
Spot-On... pardon the pun. This would work and we all could move one. Of course. Ek has an out-sized ego as do many others so its better to fight.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
I don't see why Spotify has to pay anything to Apple here. I pay Apple for my device and my services. Spotify doesn't have to pay Verizon every time I stream a song on an iPhone. I pay Verizon. Honestly why does Apple have this special status of being able to triple dip and demand money for everything that touches iOS? They think devs owe them, users owe them, they want to build out advertising revenue, they want people like Google to pay them to be on the platform... they just want to be in every single entity on Earth's pockets and it's gross. They think they deserve it but always conveniently forget the iPhone would be nothing without the rest of the world (the internet/infrastructure, the third party apps on the platform, etc).

Verizon doesn’t develop the tools and APIs Spotify uses to build its app, Apple does. Without those tools and APIs the Spotify app couldn’t exist. It costs Apple a lot of money to design, develop, and maintain those APIs. Apple doesn’t think companies like Spotify should get to use the tools Apple creates for free. Spotify thinks they should be able to force Apple to give them those tools without paying anything. Spotify is wrong.

kognos

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Oregon
Frankly, as I'm reading this, this is really snarky on the part of Apple.

Seriously. Apple doesn't have the inherent right to tax everything used by the device. If an app wants to have a link to an external payment system, this should be allowed. It should not, in turn, require an agreement that also, in turn, requires taxation for use of that link.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Isn’t it interesting how this wasn’t an issue and became an issue over time? I think, like most things, companies in the EU figured that some thing that Apple did would be followed by some “open” competitor, possibly Android, and then all the companies would buy into that one. What they’ve found is that people on Android on the whole don’t want to deal in any kind of digital business. For whatever reason. Meanwhile, Apple has steadily been working on a smaller group of people that ARE comfortable with doing business digitally.

It was after alll these years where companies realized that no other vendor is catering to folks with money as much as Apple was, that they decided to change the makeup of the structure of the mobile business in the EU such that iPhones make up more of the phones AND the terms on the iPhone become more acceptable to those countries. It’s no mistake that, after they’ve been pinging on Apple, now they pass a rule which essentially means “fewer non-iPhone devices in the EU”. Yes, Apple’s business in the near term has been altered and they’re having to spend money they didn’t expect to spend to meet these regulations, but, in the end, the EU companies get what they want, a larger, more vibrant mobile economy made up of those that will do business digitally… and, Apple for their efforts are going to get a much larger share of the EU market.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

babalougots

macrumors regular
May 5, 2021
Frankly, as I'm reading this, this is really snarky on the part of Apple.

Seriously. Apple doesn't have the inherent right to tax everything used by the device. If an app wants to have a link to an external payment system, this should be allowed. It should not, in turn, require an agreement that also, in turn, requires taxation for use of that link.
Does Netflix pay a fee to Apple these days?

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
I don't see why Spotify has to pay anything to Apple here. I pay Apple for my device and my services. Spotify doesn't have to pay Verizon every time I stream a song on an iPhone. I pay Verizon. Honestly why does Apple have this special status of being able to triple dip and demand money for everything that touches iOS? They think devs owe them, users owe them, they want to build out advertising revenue, they want people like Google to pay them to be on the platform... they just want to be in every single entity on Earth's pockets and it's gross. They think they deserve it but always conveniently forget the iPhone would be nothing without the rest of the world (the internet/infrastructure, the third party apps on the platform, etc).
Ah! Spotify may not pay your ISP for what you stream, but they are paying an ISP somewhere for their data upload that you are streaming. Someone somewhere is making money while someone else is handing that money over for a service.

Spotify could in theory never pay Apple a dime for Apple’s IP by developing a web app for iPhone. Yet, for some reason they choose to whine and complain then use a a free option.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
If apple sold me the shopping mall first, then no.
They didn’t. The mall in the analogy is not your iPhone, it’s the APIs and developer tools that Spotify uses to build their app so it can run on your iPhone. Apple builds those and lets developers use them to make apps with the understanding that there is a fee involved. Spotify wants to get access to those tools without paying anything for them.

kognos

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Oregon
Does Netflix pay a fee to Apple these days?
No, because the app only requires you to log in. It's cosmically dumb how this has evolved.
Services work around this external-payment-system and apple-tax problem by simply having their services be login only and not have any payment processing within the app. It's a dumb client at that point.

Companies like Spotify have kind of forced Apple's hand (via the EU) to shine a spotlight on just how cosmically dumb that is. App vendors shouldn't be forced to use Apple's payment processing on the app, thus in turn allowing Apple to take a cut of that money. External payment processing does exist, but simply removed by Apple policy under the limp stance of "protection".

babalougots

macrumors regular
May 5, 2021
No, because the app only requires you to log in. It's cosmically dumb how this has evolved.
Services work around this external-payment-system and apple-tax problem by simply having their services be login only and not have any payment processing within the app. It's a dumb client at that point.

Companies like Spotify have kind of forced Apple's hand (via the EU) to shine a spotlight on just how cosmically dumb that is. App vendors shouldn't be forced to use Apple's payment processing on the app, thus in turn allowing Apple to take a cut of that money. External payment processing does exist, but simply removed by Apple policy under the limp stance of "protection".
That's correct. So why doesn't Spotify do the same? It's the largest music streaming app on the planet just as Netflix is the biggest movie/TV streamer.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
In the same vein, I don’t see why game developers should need to pay Sony and Nintendo anything, given that I have already paid these companies for their hardware and officially licensed accessories. If you argue that the consoles are too cheap, then raise the price and sell them at a premium like what Apple has done.

After all, consumers are not going to care about a 30% tax they will never see.

They think they deserve it but these consoles would be nothing with the rest of the world either.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
This absurd entitlement is contrary to the anti-steering mandate, and all consumers should support Spotify's efforts to challenge it.

Apple requires developers who use the entitlement to pay a 27 percent fee (reduced for subscriptions older than one year and for small businesses) on all website purchases referred by Apple.

Meanwhile Phil Schiller thinks you're all morons:

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
I’m not sure why so many are conflicted as to why Apple wants a piece of the pie. To put it simply, iPhone purchases and App Store revenue fund the following: Silicon, device hard costs, device development, free services and SDK/software development.

Apple feels the purchase of your device doesn’t cover the bill for all of these. So some of it is paid through the App Store commission.

Most likely, Apple sees the App Store revenue as the revenue to pay for SDK and iOS development. These come to the user for free, and the SDK, Swift, iOS and all those bits are for the developer to leverage. These are all tools developers commonly use to make their apps. They ensure apps stay compatible with a range of OSes and devices that would otherwise be difficult to implement.

This model doesn’t have to be right or wrong, but it is Apple’s. No one should dictate how Apple models their business or how much they ask for it.

To be honest, as someone else said, it is my opinion that at the minimum Apple should be allowed to charge something just for creating a device and OS that connects developers instantly with so many consumers.

Alternatively, I feel Spotify should be allowed to make an app that uses zero Apple SDKs or support and allow that to be done for free. But we all know how that would likely work out.

Reactions: bigluonei

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
In the same vein, I don’t see why game developers should need to pay Sony and Nintendo anything, given that I have already paid these companies for their hardware and officially licensed accessories. If you argue that the consoles are too cheap, then raise the price and sell them at a premium like what Apple has done.

They think they deserve it but these consoles would be nothing with the rest of the world either.
This is their entire model. Who cares if that’s how they do it? It’s their business. A lot of people would feel more comfortable buying a $500 console and 10 $50 games slowly, then an $800 console and 10 $20 games. It’s a carefully curated system.

And just as I said previously, in your example, the console creators create the OS and dev kits that allow game developers to bring their product to millions effortlessly and lower development time thanks to their OS, SDKs and architecture and hardware that guarantees uniform performance for all. They should be allow to charge for it.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Companies like Spotify have kind of forced Apple's hand (via the EU) to shine a spotlight on just how cosmically dumb that is. App vendors shouldn't be forced to use Apple's payment processing on the app, thus in turn allowing Apple to take a cut of that money.
All of this is related to some other players ganging up on Apple
For example: Epic's major backer is Tencent. They have a 40% stake of Epic in all of this. For Spotify it's only 9.1% of shares. TenCent is a comparable to Spotify in value.

Tencent’s ownership of minority stakes in two of the world’s ‘big three’ music rights companies is made a touch more interesting by the fact that the Chinese giant may soon find itself opposite both Warner and Universal at the negotiating table.
Currently, Tencent Music and its owned digital music services (QQ Music, Kuwo and Kugou) have long-running licensing deals in place with the three major recorded music firms in China.
These deals not only mean that TME’s services are licensed to use music from Universal, Sony and Warner, but also that TME exclusively sub-licenses this catalog to rival digital services in the market.
When you consider the 18% stake of the EU marketplace for Apple Music all these companies are only after the monetary gain of making Apple look bad. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This is their entire model. Who cares if that’s how they do it? It’s their business. A lot of people would feel more comfortable buying a $500 console and 10 $50 games slowly, then an $800 console and 10 $20 games. It’s a carefully curated system.

And just as I said previously, in your example, the console creators create the OS and dev kits that allow game developers to bring their product to millions effortlessly and lower development time thanks to their OS, SDKs and architecture and hardware that guarantees uniform performance for all. They should be allow to charge for it.

Same thing here. It’s Apple’s business model, and that’s how they have chosen to do it, and I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Should Apple not be allowed to charge developers a single cent even on software downloaded to a $400 iPhone SE or an iPod touch or the 9th gen iPad? You speak as though every single smartphone sold by Apple costs over $1000.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020

I see it, some app subscription cost more on iOS than Android counterpart. Therefore, the real Apple Tax is here and people should care about it.

babalougots

macrumors regular
May 5, 2021
I see it, some app subscription cost more on iOS than Android counterpart. Therefore, the real Apple Tax is here and people should care about it.
You are not forced to use an Apple product. If one feels it's a better experience on Android while also saving 30% on a subscription then switch. Consumers have choices. There's a price-point for everyone.

Reactions: gusmula and m7ammed

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Spotify wants to profit off of Apples services backend and customer base without paying. The real world doesn't work that way and Spotify needs to either pay or remove themselves from Apple services.
Replace Spotify with McDonald's, Starbucks, Uber, Amazon, Netflix, Target, Walmart, etc. They're all on the App Store and they don't pay Apple anything beyond the Developer Fee just like Spotify.

Perhaps McDonald's, Starbucks, Uber, Amazon, Target, Walmart, and everyone else should be removed from the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.