Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does Netflix pay a fee to Apple these days?
No because Apple created a special category that allows Netflix to have an app on the store that doesn’t work until you log in. Amazon is able to do the same with Kindle. When Hey tried to do it with an email app Apple refused. Hey ended up having to add a basic free feature just so they wouldn’t have to use Apple’s IAP and pay Apple 30%.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
If Apple designed and built a shopping mall, should vendors expect to be able to set up shop in that mall rent-free? Despite Apple being on the hook for maintenance, security, insurance, etc?
What's the "mall" in this analogy? The analogy is flawed. If the phone is the "mall" then yes, Apple built it and sold it to me. If you are talking about the App Store then, again, the analogy is bad. App Store is not involved in distribution of music. It's all Spotify. If you really want to go with this mall analogy, the correct one would be this one: Apple built a mall and then not only does it take percentage from sales, it demands that when someone buys, say a TV set in the mall and takes it home, they also have to pay the percentage of all the subscriptions they use to watch their TV. Absurd? Nope. Subscriptions are "digital goods" according to Apple.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Every single develper pays Apple an annual Developer's Fee. Every. Single. One.

That's their rent.

It's not enough? Why then is it enough when it comes to other companies such as McDonald's, Starbucks, Uber, Amazon, Netflix, Target, Walmart, etc.?

But let's go back to your shopping mall example.... Does the shopping mall owner get a cut of each retailers sale? No.

If I go to a store in the shopping mall to browse but don't buy anything for some reason (e.g. wanted to mull it over, didn't have my size, no actual inventory) until I got home and ordered it online, does the shopping mall owner get a cut of that online sale? No. But Apple thinks it should.
A tiny number of apps subsidize the majority apps on the App Store. That’s how Apple wants it because they know people won’t pay for apps even if it was just 99 cents one time. Apple should update their policies so the rent seeking only applies to games. That’s where Apple makes most of its IAP money anyway.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Because those aforementioned companies chose a business model that doesn’t require them to get taxed by Apple (namely, they have significant marginal costs, while companies like Spotify and Netflix don’t).

If Spotify were in the business of selling music CDs, they wouldn’t need to pay Apple a cent either.
Why should that matter to Apple? Is there any evidence that somebody in 2024 is subscribing to Spotify or Netflix because of Apple? If you use Apple hardware (that you paid for) to watch video content from Netflix does that mean Apple is the reason you’re a Netflix subscriber? I would argue no.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I don't see why Spotify has to pay anything to Apple here. I pay Apple for my device and my services. Spotify doesn't have to pay Verizon every time I stream a song on an iPhone. I pay Verizon. Honestly why does Apple have this special status of being able to triple dip and demand money for everything that touches iOS? They think devs owe them, users owe them, they want to build out advertising revenue, they want people like Google to pay them to be on the platform... they just want to be in every single entity on Earth's pockets and it's gross. They think they deserve it but always conveniently forget the iPhone would be nothing without the rest of the world (the internet/infrastructure, the third party apps on the platform, etc).
It’s simple. Apple spends billions on their platform build, maintain and marketing to get and keep customers using it. 75% of Apps are free apps paid for by ads or pay apps on the platform. Spotify wants to use app technology and access their Customers for free. Imagine Apple setting up a table in target to sell iPhones, but refuses to pay them for using their store.

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
It is interesting that Apple is forcing all of these developers to agree to new unfavorable terms to brace for some kind of breach of contract argument. Good for Spotify for reading the fine print. Clearly Apple feels it can take a 27% cut using these new terms even without a link, simply by stating to customers that they can pay on Spotify’s website, or Apple would have approved the update already.

It is also interesting that Apple’s review team keeps choosing to risk breaking the law and cost Apple billions in fines instead of just accepting the law. The ego on the app review team that they know better than the EU is going to take a couple billion more hits…

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
It’s simple. Apple spends billions on their platform build, maintain and marketing to get and keep customers using it. 75% of Apps are free apps paid for by ads or pay apps on the platform. Spotify wants to use app technology and access their Customers for free. Imagine Apple setting up a table in target to sell iPhones, but refuses to pay them for using their store.
Spotify does not need Apple customers. They have their own customers. Apple does not own iPhone users and thus it can't sell them to Spotify.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Spotify does not need Apple customers. They have their own customers. Apple does not own iPhone users and thus it can't sell them to Spotify.
That thought really is quite funny. For a long time, when talking about companies like Google and Facebook, Apple fanatics were quick to shout, “when using those companies products, you are actually the product.” It appears Apple takes the exact same view. Their users are the product.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
When are people going to stop repeating this fallacy. If someone wants to distribution their app on Apple's App Store, they have to join Apple's Developer Program. Membership in the Developer Program is NOT free. Only after paying the developer fee are you allowed to use the App Store to distribute your app.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
If Apple designed and built a shopping mall, should vendors expect to be able to set up shop in that mall rent-free? Despite Apple being on the hook for maintenance, security, insurance, etc?
Do you think malls get 30% of everything sold in them?

Hint: they do not. They get a flat rent fee. *Which is exactly what developers have been asking for!!*

Spotify wants to profit off of Apples services backend and customer base without paying. The real world doesn't work that way and Spotify needs to either pay or remove themselves from Apple services.

Spotify is like that impossible-to-please ex-girlfriend that keeps texting you “AND ANOTHER THING” long after you’ve cut things off due to irreconcilable differences.

I think Apple is owed something, but the problem is that Apple also benefits from this when competing with Spotify. It is a tricky situation that Apple decided to put themselves in when they decide to compete with other services that also utilize their platform. For Words With Friends....pay the piper. For Spotify.....Apple may have to make some concessions if they want to compete in the same space or face anti-competitive inquiries.

Yeah but the mall doesn't rent spaces and then also open a sunglasses store to compete with Sunglass Hut. For the apps where Apple doesn't sell a similar app/service than no one should be complaining. But when Apple starts to compete in those spaces it makes it a much different situation.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Why should that matter to Apple? Is there any evidence that somebody in 2024 is subscribing to Spotify or Netflix because of Apple? If you use Apple hardware (that you paid for) to watch video content from Netflix does that mean Apple is the reason you’re a Netflix subscriber? I would argue no.

It is my opinion that the App Store does play a role in facilitating a transaction between the company and the consumer. Apple put in a lot of effort in getting users to trust in the safety and security of the App Store. They make it easy to pay using iTunes and biometrics and convenient to create a new account via Sign in with Apple.

I am not sure how relevant that still is today. I guess we could debate till the cows come home as to what a reasonable cut entails, but the point is that Apple does deserve something over and above that users have already paid for their hardware.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
It is my opinion that the App Store does play a role in facilitating a transaction between the company and the consumer. Apple put in a lot of effort in getting users to trust in the safety and security of the App Store. They make it easy to pay using iTunes and biometrics and convenient to create a new account via Sign in with Apple.

I am not sure how relevant that still is today. I guess we could debate till the cows come home as to what a reasonable cut entails, but the point is that Apple does deserve something over and above that users have already paid for their hardware.
Deserves is a strange way to put it. Do they deserve a cut for applications installed on macOS? Does MS deserve a cut for Windows applications?

PhoenixAnhart

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2023
Verizon doesn’t develop the tools and APIs Spotify uses to build its app, Apple does. Without those tools and APIs the Spotify app couldn’t exist. It costs Apple a lot of money to design, develop, and maintain those APIs. Apple doesn’t think companies like Spotify should get to use the tools Apple creates for free. Spotify thinks they should be able to force Apple to give them those tools without paying anything. Spotify is wrong.
Yeah I'm sure basic OS features are worth a third of Spotify's revenue. Do you people ever listen to yourselves?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Deserves is a strange way to put it. Do they deserve a cut for applications installed on macOS? Does MS deserve a cut for Windows applications?

Does Nintendo “deserve” 30% of game sales? Or is it their “right” to charge whatever they want by virtue of offering an integrated product where they control both the hardware and software?

TonnyM

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
’Spotify does not currently pay Apple any money, and it does not want to.’

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You could try answering my question first instead of misdirecting.

I thought I did.

Basically, I have laid out why I feel the iOS App Store is entitled to a cut of app revenue, because Apple does more than simply provide a repository for apps. They aggregate the best customers in the world and grow the overall pie for everyone. 70% of a larger number of sales can still work out to more money than 100% of a smaller number of sales.

For the Mac App Store, I will say there is the convenience of not having to navigate to an external website. Perhaps not enough to justify 30%, but I guess nobody’s complaining because there are other ways of downloading the apps you want.

I am not familiar with the windows App Store. How actively is it policed by Microsoft? What’s the value add? But knowing Microsoft and seeing the state of their windows phone App Store back in its heyday, I will say - not very much.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I thought I did.

Basically, I have laid out why I feel the iOS App Store is entitled to a cut of app revenue, because Apple does more than simply provide a repository for apps. They aggregate the best customers in the world and grow the overall pie for everyone. 70% of a larger number of sales can still work out to more money than 100% of a smaller number of sales.

For the Mac App Store, I will say there is the convenience of not having to navigate to an external website. Perhaps not enough to justify 30%, but I guess nobody’s complaining because there are other ways of downloading the apps you want.

I am not familiar with the windows App Store. How actively is it policed by Microsoft? What’s the value add? But knowing Microsoft and seeing the state of their windows phone App Store back in its heyday, I will say - not very much.
And you’ve highlighted the crux of the issue. Both macOS and Windows have alternate ways of getting apps onto consumer devices, while iOS does not. Apple’s “deserving” of a cut as you put it, is oh so conveniently a situation of their own doing.

Reactions: gusmula

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
And you’ve highlighted the crux of the issue. Both macOS and Windows have alternate ways of getting apps onto consumer devices, while iOS does not. Apple’s “deserving” of a cut as you put it, is oh so conveniently a situation of their own doing.

Which is why I posed the Nintendo question to you. Nintendo owns and controls their own switch platform. There is no law preventing them from charging developers more, like say 50%. We just assume that the market will work itself out somehow. Nintendo chose 30% because it felt right at the time and everyone else had copied that “magic number” ever since.

I guess my point is that because Apple owns and controls their iOS platform as well, they are free to charge developers however much they want and I don’t see them flouting any laws (short of the government creating new laws like the DMA).

Unlike on macOS, I do also feel like Apple does do more for their iOS App Store. I can accept an argument that perhaps 30% is too much, but i feel that Apple is entitled to monetise their platform, and they are entitled to something at least.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
A reminder of what is happening on Spotify and the contribution to the biggest wave of gun violence in Europe

So the question is…why is everyone currently fighting Apple so badly tainted by crime, corruption and harming society?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.