Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
You get 10 songs you purchased for $10.

or

You get 15 million songs if you pay $10 a month.

Spotify has "off-line" mode for up to 3,333 songs. Which mean you can listen to any of the 3,333 songs you designated without any internet. Save a lot of mobile data.

Look at it this way....

Would there still be a need for buying digital movies on Itunes if paying $9.99 a month for a Netflix-like service that give you access to all the movies and TV shows in the world?

Which is a better choice?

Netflix-like service that has all the movies/tv shows in the world for $9.99 a month (with offline mode for playback without internet connection)

or

use Itunes to download movies and owning the movies

Movies and songs are different. Movies I rarely watch more than a few times in my life. Music I've listened to some songs for decades.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
I had Netflix and then trashed the streaming service after the first month. They are FAR from having every movie. Hell, if they had 25% of the movies out there on streaming I would be surprised. It was such a waste of money, because I could hardly find any of the movies I wanted to watch.

Spotify has like 99% of all music (a few notable exception like the Beatles etc..)

Netflix has maybe 25% of movies/tv shows

Spotify has 3 million paid subscribers (but growing at fast rate). Netflix has 23 million paid subscribers. For music lovers, Spotify is nirvana (opposed to Netflix for movies/tv shows lovers).

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Will gapless playback come to the iPhone app as well?
It seems that in general most iPhone apps with looping or continuous music don't support gapless playback.

The update has added both gapless playback and a crossfade slider to all iOS devices supported (iPad, iPhone and iPod touch).

Stellarola

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I'm a former music pirate and I have stopped pirating music thanks to Spotify. It's that good. Well worth the $9.99/unlimited. I don't go a day without discovering new music.

true+story.jpg

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Ah right. Paying all that money each month to be tethered to an internet connection all so you can stream low quality mp3 tracks.

Just buy your music.

Those circular things with the hole in the middle, you can buy those for literally a few £££ or $$$ from places like Amazon. And guess what! They're yours to keep, forever, in the best possible non-vinyl quality.

Heck, you can even access them in the same way as you do with Spotify, but in a much higher quality, for £20 a year.

wake6830

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
I have to laugh at all the subscription-service hate in this thread. I suppose none of the critics have a gym membership (buy your own equipment!), subscribe to SiriusXM radio, subscribe to Netflix, subscribe to cable/satellite tv or do anything else that doesn't provide them with ownership over the product, like renting an apartment, going to the movies or taking out a loan to buy a car.

I like Spotify. I signed up for the premium membership on the first day it became available in the US. I have a couple weeks' worth of music in iTunes and I still purchase albums I love, but Spotify's extensive library lets me browse through and listen to songs and artists that I might not check out otherwise - particularly new releases or when I only like one or two songs off an album. I have Spotify streaming most days at work, and I use it on the train for my daily commute. I like sharing stuff with my friends and checking out what they're listening too as well.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Ah right. Paying all that money each month

Only £9.99/$9.99

to be tethered to an internet connection

Spotify supports Offline playback on all platforms it has Apps for (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS, Android, Web OS, Blackberry, Windows Phone 7, Windows Mobile 6, Symbian)

all so you can stream low quality mp3 tracks.

320kbps Ogg Vorbis tracks

The iTunes Store is lower quality than that.

Looks like someone should do a little research!

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I have no idea how anyone can complain about spending $10 dollars a month for full access, anywhere to practically and song or album you might care to listen to. At good quality, with no ad's and the ability cache all of this stuff on your device as well!

Yet you spend just as much on a coffee and sandwich!!

Radio is bonarding you with ads every other miniute and cable/tv is ad or subscription based as well, yet people complain about $10 for music. You pay less for a damn drink in a bar!!!

Peoples value systems are so way out of wack its unreal!
People are just too cheap, seriously.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
You don't need a Facebook account to have it work... I use spotify and I don't have a Facebook...

You probably signed up before the new rule was implemented in September of last year.

To those saying I can sign up through the site: I clicked "Sign Up," and it says it's not yet available in my country. I'm in the US. So I can't even find out if that's true or not.

And to those saying "Make a dummy account": No. I don't want a Facebook account. Amazing how many people can't seem to grasp that.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
looks great, time to punish apple for not allowing streaming in itunes, and do away with it for good. $9.99 a month is a steal.

Two questions though, is there a recording feature (probably not) even if it won't allow you to export, no problem with that.

and b. what's the quality like?

edit: answered, thanks to dave, 320kbps Ogg Vorbis tracks much better than 256 aac, and offline streaming. Sounds superb, I am on it. :)

bye bye itunes rip off.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
You probably signed up before the new rule was implemented in September of last year.

To those saying I can sign up through the site: I clicked "Sign Up," and it says it's not yet available in my country. I'm in the US. So I can't even find out if that's true or not.

And to those saying "Make a dummy account": No. I don't want a Facebook account. Amazing how many people can't seem to grasp that.

It's definitely possible. The whole "not available in your country" thing seems to be a bug.

pointy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Please. I don't know where people get the idea that Facebook is not required for new Spotify accounts. It absolutely is required.

The only way around that is to have been grandfathered in through having a Spotify Premium account before the Facebook requirement was initiated.

This is their months-old statement on the subject, posted in their support forums and sent by email to anyone who asks about this:

As most of our users are had already connected to Facebook, we chose to integrate Spotify and Facebook logins. We already use Facebook to power our social features and by adopting Facebook’s login, we've tried to create a simple and seamless social experience.

This means then, that all new Spotify users will need to have a Facebook account to join Spotify. We like to think of it as like a virtual 'passport,' with one less username and password to remember. You don't need to post your listening habits to Facebook and if you do decide to, you can always control what you share by changing your Spotify preferences at any time.

We introduced Private Listening mode, for example, to let you hide what you're listening to for a particular session.

Feedback is very important to us, so we always try to listen closely to what our customers have to say. Let us know if you have any further questions.Best Regards,

Edward

Spotify Customer Service - Cambridge

As for opening fake Facebook accounts, what do you do when Facebook deletes your account for breaking their Terms of Use by opening a fake account?

Last edited:

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
How much data does a stream of a 320kbps 4 minute song use?

just calculate it buddy 320/8 X 4 X 60 kbytes, and div by 1024 for mbytes.

----------

Please. I don't know where people get the idea that Facebook is not required for new Spotify accounts. It absolutely is required.

The only way around that is to have been grandfathered in through having a Spotify Premium account before the Facebook requirement was initiated.

This is their months-old statement on the subject, posted in their support forums and sent by email to anyone who asks about this:

one can always make a dummy account in facebook and never use it though, right?

Cue

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Still don't get why Spotify on your iPad over WiFi is considered "mobile" and requires a premium subscription to listen to the library you already have on your desktop with an unlimited one.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Still don't get why Spotify on your iPad over WiFi is considered "mobile" and requires a premium subscription to listen to the library you already have on your desktop with an unlimited one.

The mobile versions all use aggressive caching, even when on WiFi. Once that song is on your device, it's pulled directly from the cache, not the server. Therefore, you'd be able to play the songs when you _weren't_ on WiFi. There would need to be extensive re-engineering to allow the mobile app to work differently.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Spotify has like 99% of all music (a few notable exception like the Beatles etc..)

Netflix has maybe 25% of movies/tv shows

Spotify has 3 million paid subscribers (but growing at fast rate). Netflix has 23 million paid subscribers. For music lovers, Spotify is nirvana (opposed to Netflix for movies/tv shows lovers).

99% of all music?? Really? Really???! :rolleyes:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

The Spotify desktop applications use P2P (peer to peer) networking to distribute songs. When you play a song, a small amount of it is streamed from the Spotify server and the rest is streamed from other users near to you. If the song isn't available from other users, the entirety of it is streamed directly from Spotify's servers (and cached). This model costs very little money in terms of bandwidth.

In the mobile application (including Tablets), P2P wouldn't really work. Many carriers don't allow P2P applications, on those carriers that do allow it users would use more of their data allowance, some of the App Stores (iOS?) wouldn't allow it and there would be the obvious performance and battery hit.

As such, the mobile applications stream directly from the server, substantially increasing Spotify's costs - hence why it costs the consumer money to use it on mobile.

----------

How much data does a stream of a 320kbps 4 minute song use?

About 9.4MB (megabytes).

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I'm a former music pirate and I have stopped pirating music thanks to Spotify. It's that good. Well worth the $9.99/unlimited. I don't go a day without discovering new music.

Yep. Likewise. Finally the iPad app is out! It looks great and I've found no bugs so far. A very welcome addition.

I still pirate stuff I can't find on Spotify, though. So you might wanna get on that, record labels.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
First off, people need to stop making the comparison to other subscription type of services like leasing a car, renting a home, having a gym membership. That's an awful comparison. Hell, even the argument that Spotify is akin to cable/direct tv is specious.

Music is its own unique medium and that brings along with it attributes that don't translate to other mediums.

Having said that, it seems as if I'm one of the few that likes both streaming services and the concept of ownership. I'm not a premium member yet, but I love listening to Spotify at the office or at home. It (along with podcasts) has essentially replaced radio for me. But I still think it has issues with its reliance on things like data providers, recording company contracts, etc. I know that the CD or iTunes album I purchase will work for me 10 or 20 years from know. But I can't say for certain that the music I have access to through Spotify today will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

I don't think streaming services will overtake physical downloads/purchases like others are claiming. Music is a different world than Film and TV. I might watch a movie I purchase a couple of times a year. Same with a favorite tv show, maybe even less. But I can listen to a great album several times a week. It's also not dependent on using both your eyes and ears, and sitting in front of a screen for long periods of time. There's a lot more freedom with music as a medium. Of course this can expand into an entirely new discussion.

I'll continue to both buy and stream music because that seems to work best for me. Obviously it's different for everyone, but the extreme negativity towards one side or the other seems ignorant.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
First off, people need to stop making the comparison to other subscription type of services like leasing a car, renting a home, having a gym membership. That's an awful comparison. Hell, even the argument that Spotify is akin to cable/direct tv is specious.

In what way is it awful / specious? You need to at least give SOME support to your claim, you know? :) I'd say it's an extremely apt comparison, but would be willing to listen to arguments to the contrary.

I know that the CD or iTunes album I purchase will work for me 10 or 20 years from know. But I can't say for certain that the music I have access to through Spotify today will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Agreed, but you're paying handsomely for that privilege. For most of my post-college life, I bought 10-20 cds a month, every month. Now, I pay a flat fee every month, and have unlimited music to consume. Even if I only added my previous minimum of 10 albums a month, I'm still saving over £100 a month. In reality, my music listening habits have radically changed, and I'm adding many more albums a month to my "collection".

I don't think streaming services will overtake physical downloads/purchases like others are claiming. Music is a different world than Film and TV. I might watch a movie I purchase a couple of times a year. Same with a favorite tv show, maybe even less. But I can listen to a great album several times a week. It's also not dependent on using both your eyes and ears, and sitting in front of a screen for long periods of time. There's a lot more freedom with music as a medium. Of course this can expand into an entirely new discussion.

While I agree with your statement about listening habits being different from watching habits, there's nothing in the "rental" model that discourages / prevents those habits.

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK
Anybody experiencing very slow speeds for spotify over iPad? I can only guess that it is the influx of people using the free trial?

(Midlands, UK)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.