Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subaqua

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Minneapolis
I can't remember... do they offer voice and data at the same time? If this comes w/o a tether charge, I'm all Sprints.

I'm also curious about this. AT&T is holding this feature above verizon's head today in many of their ads and promotions. It would be nice if Sprint's network/iPhone can do both voice & data at the same time.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
wow

my AT&T contract ends tomorrow.

I regret pulling the plug on my unlimited data/phone plan for the AT&T iPhone, but if Sprint's network cannot handle data and voice at the same time I'll stick with AT&T. I need that duality for school.

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I'm also curious about this. AT&T is holding this feature above verizon's head today in many of their ads and promotions. It would be nice if Sprint's network/iPhone can do both voice & data at the same time.
Sprint and Verizon are both CDMA networks. IE - No data during a voice call.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
If that unlimited data included mobile hot spot access, I would definitely be interested!!

Holy crap could you imagine?!

----------

Sprint and Verizon are both CDMA networks. IE - No data during a voice call.

Not true if they include a radio in the new phone for data/voice. All Verizon LTE phones do it (Thunderbolt can even do it on 3G).

summitRun

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Let me be the first to say so long to the Sprint lovers out there....I won't miss you on my network :)

lol...switch away and dont let the screen door hit you in the arse...:p

Would love it to see less data mongers on my network!

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
I would go ATT before I went Sprint.

Those of you who want to go Sprint Go ahead I warned you.

Sprint has the worst customer service ever. Did Then Does Now. Horror stories I have heard of late show me they haven't changed 8 years. Never will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
It will stick around

Mark my words, Sprint has every incentive in the world to keep its unlimited data. AT&T capped the data last year because they were still the only carrier with iPhone, Verizon did the cheap trick of getting people to switch and then cap data because they are America's biggest network.

Sprint has always been the smallest and the one to stick it up to big carriers. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Sprint was the first to offer nights starting at 7, unlimited web on Windows and Palm phones for only $15 (same plan used to cost $30 on Verizon), and free calls to any network mobile.

Coming as the THIRD carrier of the iPhone, Sprint has every incentive to keep unlimited data plans.

I wouldn't be surprised if later down the line they keep the unlimited data AND offer cheaper option capped data, just to stick it up to AT&T and Verizon.

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Holy crap could you imagine?!

----------

Not true if they include a radio in the new phone for data/voice. All Verizon LTE phones do it (Thunderbolt can even do it on 3G).

There will be no separate radio in the new iPhone and it won't be LTE.

Whats all this nonsense of "will it last"? Technical innovations and infrastructure automation SHOULD result in cheaper and greater data access...not the other way around. If anything, limited data plans should be things of the past. Bravo Sprint for providing customer value.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Just remember that Sprint has gone on record that data caps are coming as network usage increases, but not anytime too soon.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
As a former Sprint customer, this is great news. I'll switch back in a heart beat once the details, and the phone, are out. I only left Sprint to get an iPhone 3-4 years ago. In my area, they had the best coverage, never dropped a call, and absolutely the fastest, best data network I have used.

This is fantastic news.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

Sprint has the worst customer service ever. Did Then Does Now. Horror stories I have heard of late show me they haven't changed 8 years. Never will.

I was a Sprint customer for 6 years, and I thought they were fantastic. I never had a problem getting phones replaced that were defective, their corporate store employees were extremely friendly and easy to deal with, and the times I did have to call I ended up getting great deals to stick with them.

Plus, their service -- especially in Ohio -- was tremendous. I rarely had full bars, but I never was without service and I had maybe 2 or 3 dropped calls in the entire time I was with them (compared to AT&T, where I drop a call at least 5 times per week).

I'd still be on Sprint if it wasn't for the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

subcritical71

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
I thought I read an article recently where Sprint data users are already surpassing that of the Verizon and AT&T data users. I can't find the article now, but Sprint users were paying on average around $0.08 per MB, where Verizon and AT&T users where paying much more due to their respective plans structure. The data usage was also higher on Sprint, and their network is not falling apart (yet)... I for one will at least look at Sprint if this rumor proves to be true....

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
Of course it won't last, but that's no reason not to grab it if you're up for a new contract. Nothing lasts forever; it's all about making hay while the sun is shining.

If you're still grandfathered on ATT or Verizon, then stick with that.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
I was a Sprint customer for 6 years, and I thought they were fantastic. I never had a problem getting phones replaced that were defective, their corporate store employees were extremely friendly and easy to deal with, and the times I did have to call I ended up getting great deals to stick with them.

Plus, their service -- especially in Ohio -- was tremendous. I rarely had full bars, but I never was without service and I had maybe 2 or 3 dropped calls in the entire time I was with them (compared to AT&T, where I drop a call at least 5 times per week).

I'd still be on Sprint if it wasn't for the iPhone.

Good Luck My Friend!!

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Although I won't be getting a Sprint (or any) iPhone anytime soon, this is great news for competition and customers regardless.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Sprint Can Kiss my Hairy ASS.

F*@K Sprint.

So you're basing your hate on second hand and third hand stories? Well done. As a very long Sprint customer in the past they did nothing but help me as best they could with every issue I had. They were the best by far and AT&T customer service pales in comparison.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is very tempting if true. I have AT&t but capped right now, and I absolutely hate it. I travel for a living ad heavily rely on streaming over the network. I can't tell you how many times I get charged for extra gigs. My parents have had sprint for years and have like a 30% discount and barely pay anything for being premium customers. However, the only thing that concerns me is speeds. I know for a fact that Sprint speeds are terrible compared to AT&T. Will I even be able to use my iPhone for what it's meant for? Such as streaming Hulu, HBO Go, Netflix, etc. The most I see out of my dads sprint phone is maybe 1 mb/s in huge cities, whereas my AT&T will be getting like 3.6mb/s. There's no pleasure in trying to watch a Netflix movie and having to wait for buffeting every other minute....

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
An iPhone on a "budget" carrier is what the market needs. With the iphone 5, verizon should have the $50/100 iphone now too. The only question is how it will play with apple vs. android marketshare. I don't think there's any question RIM is ceding theirs, but will WP7 increase at all with mango? My guess is not a lot, at least at first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.