Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrThor

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Considering the amount of advertising money they are putting into their "true" unlimited plan with no caps and no throttling, I wouldn't expect the unlimited to go away anytime soon.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I was a Sprint customer for 6 years, and I thought they were fantastic. I never had a problem getting phones replaced that were defective, their corporate store employees were extremely friendly and easy to deal with, and the times I did have to call I ended up getting great deals to stick with them.

Plus, their service -- especially in Ohio -- was tremendous. I rarely had full bars, but I never was without service and I had maybe 2 or 3 dropped calls in the entire time I was with them (compared to AT&T, where I drop a call at least 5 times per week).

I'd still be on Sprint if it wasn't for the iPhone.

You and me both. 7 years Sprint customer and leaving them was hard, they offered me so much! I left for the iPhone 2 years ago, and now I can't wait to go back.

Those dissing sprint, hey to each their own. Let's hope we reach a point were people are evenly distributed over the three networks and everyone is happy with their service.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It's worth noting that anyone with Verizon unlimited data plan keeps it even if they upgrade.

As far as a wifi hotspot, it costs $20/month with Verizon. So 450 minutes + unlimited data + hot spot = $95.00.

Please understand, I am not shilling for Verizon :eek:. It's customer support is abysmal. I'm only assuming Sprint's is better - it certainly can't be worse. :(

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

So is it 99 per line or do they have some sort of family plan? Does that 99 include texts?

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

So is it 99 per line or do they have some sort of family plan? Does that 99 include texts?

Unlimited data and messaging, and given the free mobile-to-mobile regardless of carrier, you'll likely see your minutes barely used (unless you call a lot of landlines). Check their plans here: http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan/plan_wall.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Plans

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
So how cheap can you get a smart phone with data for on Sprint?

The only thing holding me back from getting a smart phone is the monthly bill. I can't justify $100 a month, I don't need unlimited voice AND data. My current phone has a $10 data plan and I get email, google maps, web browsing with opera mini, and that's all I really need these days.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
This.

Sprint is doing this so anyone who currently uses an iPhone on AT&T or Verizon will consider Sprint. That's it. This is probably going to be offered for less than a year, simply as a part of a customer acquisition strategy.

Unlimited data and calling plans aren't new to Sprint. These plans already exist, and the iPhone 5 plans will no doubt be similar. Will they last? That's anyones guess.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
It's worth noting that anyone with Verizon unlimited data plan keeps it even if they upgrade.

As far as a wifi hotspot, it costs $20/month with Verizon. So 450 minutes + unlimited data + hot spot = $95.00.

Please understand, I am not shilling for Verizon :eek:. It's customer support is abysmal. I'm only assuming Sprint's is better - it certainly can't be worse. :(

I've never had Sprint but I've had ATT, Tmobile, and now with Sprint. Sprint is the worse out of the 3 and at times can be quite rude. Tmobile was, by far, the best.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California

The only thing holding me back from getting a smart phone is the monthly bill. I can't justify $100 a month, I don't need unlimited voice AND data. My current phone has a $10 data plan and I get email, google maps, web browsing with opera mini, and that's all I really need these days.

I pay around $77/month ($69.99 plus taxes) and I get unlimited data, unlimited messaging, and 450 minutes (which I never go beyond 100 since 95% of my calls go to mobile phones and Sprint doesn't charge you minutes when calling cell numbers).

Phone costs vary, and they now have a $10 fee added to each plan per month to cover data since January (they don't say it's for 4G, but that what's it for, even if the phone or your are isn't 4G capable). Still, they're the cheapest.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Also, does it include their extra just because we can fee?

jmlg

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Peoria, AZ
Wasn't Sprint working on a way to do voice and data at the same time on CDMA? It was some kind of workaround that their engineers had figured out. Its been a couple/few years since I heard about it so maybe they have abandoned the plans.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

Agreed. Same reason I don't have one.

They need to allow us to have a pay as you go plan.

I don't need the amount of data and voice time that they offer...so stupid we don't have options...so sick of cell phone carriers raping us for $$$.

I mean who the F cares...you are still getting my money. Someone needs to offer it and they will get a TON of new subscribers.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
haha this wont last...dan hesse will have to rethink his unlimited promises soon

bspence

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Official Announcement?

I can't believe we're in the month of September and we still don't even have a rumor as to when it's going to be announced! Last I heard, it was 7 or 8 September. Today's the 9th, so...when is Steve or his replacement going to get on stage and tell us all about it?? You'd think we'd have heard something by now, even an official announcement direct from Apple.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I think they'll keep it for a while, its their strongest selling point.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Verizon launched the iPhone with unlimited data for a limited time. They weren't casual about it, they had announced data caps were coming and that those who wanted to lock in unlimited data had to do it before July, I believe. So to use that as an example that Sprint will do the same is somewhat flawed.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
haha this wont last...dan hesse will have to rethink his unlimited promises soon

Actually, android users can be just as big data hogs, so it's not really a problem. Either they only sell a few iphones and traffic doesn't change all that much, or they sell a lot of iphones and have an influx of high revenue customers. No real big downside to offering unlimited.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not under a contract right now. I mentally jumped for joy when I saw this article, until I saw how hopelessly terrible Sprint's coverage area is when compared to Verizon's which is what I'm on now. I live in New York where it probably doesn't matter either way, but when I go home to Mississippi the coverage drops off the face of the earth.

Enough to where data caps don't seem like the end of the world.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Actually, android users can be just as big data hogs, so it's not really a problem. Either they only sell a few iphones and traffic doesn't change all that much, or they sell a lot of iphones and have an influx of high revenue customers. No real big downside to offering unlimited.

problem is the iphone has a little bit more pull then android. more people are going to buy the iphone on sprint then android phones (probably combined). It's always been that way, I see no reason why this would be any different.

People choose carriers first, and then phones. Sprint's network sucks as it is...they're going to sell tons of iphones and they'll eventually have to move to tiers. If VZW who has the most robust network there's no reason to think Sprint eventually won't.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I can't remember... do they offer voice and data at the same time? If this comes w/o a tether charge, I'm all Sprints.

No, you can't do voice and data at the same time on any CDMA network (Verizon & Sprint). You can only do voice and data at the same time on GSM networks (AT&T & T-Mobile).

Actually, it depends on the data radio they choose. If they go with Sprint's 4G solution, then you can. However, I would HIGHLY doubt that to be the case.

Yeah. They'll offer it for 3-4 months until they figured they've gotten all the switchers they're going to get, then they'll resort to the tiered data plans like the other carriers.

Nothing new to see here. Move along.

This.

Sprint is doing this so anyone who currently uses an iPhone on AT&T or Verizon will consider Sprint. That's it. This is probably going to be offered for less than a year, simply as a part of a customer acquisition strategy.

I disagree. Sprint has never given any indication that they are going to a tiered plan. AT&T and Verizon both gave warning long before switching. I think Sprint needs unlimited data to stay competetive. I think it will be a long time, if ever, before you see Sprint go tiered.

I used to have Sprint several years ago and they were pretty good back then. Unfortunately I can no longer say that any longer. I may give them a try for a bit, but only as a test run while keeping my AT&T phone. AT&T has finally resolved enough issues with their network that I can say I have more confidence with AT&T than I do Sprint. Still thinking I should've jumped on Verizon unlimited data while I had the chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.