Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I support fair usage practices. You have people running their entire business of a single mobile data plan then wondering what the issue is. Same with people that only have a mobile connection at home then run all their downloads and streaming through the smartphone.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
8V3e2jJ.png
Here we come. :)
Hit what they have promised.
Guess since advertisement has no actual law effectiveness or enforcement, they can put anything on an ad without worrying about even a bit.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Stop whining about customer experience and start upgrading your network. Why is this so hard for US networks?
Maybe sprint need to learn something from Chinese government, to know how to further press workers to work harder. :p

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
It's funny how carriers get mad when people use, well, unlimited amounts of their unlimited data plans... never will understand that one.

Not sure you can "not understand" that one. It's called "companies not really meaning for people to use their services as their marketroids sell them" It's been going on since "unlimited dial-up" internet was around. :rolleyes:

It wont stop until people band together and take the companies to court over false advertising. Only once companies can no longer use the word "unlimited" when talking about services that change depending on how much you use them will you see this go away.

Reactions: Aston441

spiffers

Suspended
Apr 12, 2009
If they did not specify with fine print they could alter plans as they see fit, they could probably get a couple of law suits on their hand soon..

Reactions: JosephAW

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle
do some of you guys live in the boonies or something?

Sprint gives me the best service at home (out of my VZW, Straight Talk, T-Mo & Metro services). I even got rid of my home internet because it. I averaged about 120GB+ a month (mostly during my tenure). my speeds are about this (indoors)...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445076090.257040.jpg

I guess when they do throttle, it'll still be Unlimited Data. just it'll be throttled down. now, if they advertised Unlimited High Speed Data...

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Here we go again... It would all be perfectly reasonable if they didn't call it (and market it and sell it as) 'unlimited'.

Maybe they should be called 'Walk' instead of 'Sprint' once you hit 23GB then... !?

Reactions: jayducharme

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I support fair usage practices. You have people running their entire business of a single mobile data plan then wondering what the issue is. Same with people that only have a mobile connection at home then run all their downloads and streaming through the smartphone.
If they're paying for something called "unlimited" then they should get it unlimited.
If it's "23GB, then throttling", it's not unlimited, unless we're changing the definition of the word to mean it's complete opposite.
I don't have a problem if they advertise it properly, but to call it unlimited when there are clearly limits is unreasonable and anti-consumer.

Reactions: Aston441 and Porco

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Well a lot of people like to stream their music in lossless quality. I listen to a lot of concerts and a 16k flac file is at least 1gb. It adds up.
What tracks are you listening to that are 1gb at 16bit flac? I have albums that are 24bit flac that're less than a gig. Also, where do you stream flac?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Unlimited means without limits. Putting some caveats and exceptions in the small print doesn't make it ok to still call it 'unlimited', it necessarily contradicts the definition of the word. I note they also sell a plan to get a new iPhone 'forever', which I feel is an equally suspect abuse of language...

Sounds terrifying. Being strangled to death simply for using a lot of data....

Your comment plus your current avatar combined for extra hilarity! :D

Reactions: Shirasaki

NYCphone

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
I had an unlimited mifi plan from Sprint. When the company dropped this plan they changed my account without my permission. I hope ftc/fcc are looking at them.

Reactions: JosephAW

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well a lot of people like to stream their music in lossless quality. I listen to a lot of concerts and a 16k flac file is at least 1gb. It adds up.
Whoa didn't notice your comment before.

I love listening to lossless too. But my main source is downloading and then listening. Streaming is too hard for me.

Plus, I don't have unlimited data.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Whoa didn't notice your comment before.

I love listening to lossless too. But my main source is downloading and then listening. Streaming is too hard for me.

Plus, I don't have unlimited data.
Yeah, I have a 3gb plan and I wouldn't dare to try to stream it on lte. I mostly download and listen too. But I can see a scenario where people would want to use their unlimited data to stream flac files, especially those with 16gb phones.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yeah, I have a 3gb plan and I would dare to try to stream it on lte. I mostly download and listen too. But I can see a scenario where people would want to use their unlimited data to stream flac files, especially those with 16gb phones.
Oh, yes. Yes.
So I rush to an 128GB phone.
Next one would be the maximum amount I can get, too.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
It doesn't matter if that's what they advertised two years ago or last week. It matters what they advertise from now on.

It basically said this is for accounts with changes after today.

If they were smart, they'd rename their accounts to "unlim" and make it clear that at 23GB they lower you in the priority queue...

Although they are still using the work unlimited (with no asterisk) as of today...

Gary

As long as it's not for grandfathered accounts, I'm fine with this too. I do, however, think the word unlimited with an asterisk is ridiculous. In advertising, you shouldn't be able to call something unlimited unless it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.