Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
talk about first world problem :D most people on average get 500 mb to 1 GB a month here in Germany. those are all UNLIMITED but you get throttlesnto 64kbs for the rest of the month. i have 3GB and people are already jealous lol now i read about people using 80 GB of mobile data in here and i am like o m g

streaming video on mobile data doesnt even occur to us lol one time i played a YouTube Video without wifi by mistake and my heart nearly sank

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonKnight

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Holy **** 23 gb, here in my country the most expensive you can get is 10gb and runs you 45 euro a month.

My plan right now has 6 hours of phone calls and unlimited MMS/SMS, but i don't use that, i also have 12 GB of data. There is an option to double it for 3 bucks (converted to US). I pay in total 13 USD.

talk about first world problem :D most people on average get 500 mb to 1 GB a month here in Germany. those are all UNLIMITED but you get throttlesnto 64kbs for the rest of the month. i have 3GB and people are already jealous lol now i read about people using 80 GB of mobile data in here and i am like o m g

streaming video on mobile data doesnt even occur to us lol one time i played a YouTube Video without wifi by mistake and my heart nearly sank

It is a known fact that Germany is behind most of the Europe in this respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Throttle sounds kinda dirty. As in Stop using so much data or Sprint is gonna throttle you good!

I don't have an iPhone or smartphone, but I am grandfathered in on AT&T's unlimited data plan for the iPad. I regularly use 60 gigs a month! At home I use wifi, but outside I use cellular. I'm Always surfing the web & listening to Pandora on the train commuting to work and while at work. If I didn't have unlimited data, I'd be paying $600 a month!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Only 50 hours of 4G streaming video before I would have to start watching it an almost imperceptibly lower bitrate, streamed at 3G instead???!!!

#madenoughtokickpuppies
#NOTa1stworldproblem...realissue
#jkthisisretarded

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
It took me 2 seconds to find from DuckDuckGo. They're not hiding it. If you don't do research before spending money on a plan, it's your fault alone.

We all know if advertising was about truth vs selling a product, nothing would sell.

scjc

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2015
While using 2000 gb a month is ridiculous, the fault is on the Sprint who lure customers in with ridiculous and false promise of unlimited and no throttling.

If they truly cannot continue to uphold their promise they should offer compensation to customers in exchange for turning their unlimited no throttling down to 23gb. The customers get penalized for breaking a contract, so why dont carriers get penalized for breaking the contract

Reactions: Morod

Ladyc0524

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
do some of you guys live in the boonies or something?

Sprint gives me the best service at home (out of my VZW, Straight Talk, T-Mo & Metro services). I even got rid of my home internet because it. I averaged about 120GB+ a month (mostly during my tenure). my speeds are about this (indoors)...

View attachment 593269

I guess when they do throttle, it'll still be Unlimited Data. just it'll be throttled down. now, if they advertised Unlimited High Speed Data...

No. I live in St. Louis and these are the speeds with Sprint
eecb47bcbb6d1aa17abf813bbbcf5555.jpg

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
No. I live in St. Louis and these are the speeds with Sprint
eecb47bcbb6d1aa17abf813bbbcf5555.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445185236.914143.jpg

Pacific, Mo ? That's not the city and your coverage and speeds will be effected. Sprint most likely has you on band 25 and 26 which isn't as fast as their Spark Speeds on Band 41. Big difference. There isn't a demand for large amounts of bandwidth outside of cities. 2M and up is sufficient in rural areas.

Ladyc0524

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
View attachment 593604

Pacific, Mo ? That's not the city and your coverage and speeds will be effected. Sprint most likely has you on band 25 and 26 which isn't as fast as their Spark Speeds on Band 41. Big difference. There isn't a demand for large amounts of bandwidth outside of cities. 2M and up is sufficient in rural areas.

And these are speeds on a St. Louis server
f7cb78113286290e623936015a6fa086.jpg

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
And these are speeds on a St. Louis server
f7cb78113286290e623936015a6fa086.jpg

That just means you're connecting to a server in Saint Louis hosted by someone which is not sprint. Your connection is only as good as the tower you're connecting to, which isn't in Saint Louis as no tower can reach that far.

If you want to test the speeds in Saint Louis.. You need to GO TO SAINT LOUIS and run some speed tests. You can't test the speeds in Saint Louis being in the outskirts of the city.

For example.. I can't say that Texas is slow because I decide to change my speed test to a location in Texas and my location is Colorado. That doesn't make sense. I'm only testing the speed in my location using the server in Texas.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445186986.025770.jpg

Last edited:

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
What about people who would legitimately like to use more than 23gb, and are willing to pay extra for it?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
So what do they throttle it to? Maybe I missed that part.

Like if that person's getting 73Mbps and it gets throttled to 20Mbps, is that really that bad? The fastest home internet I can get is 12Mbps.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
View attachment 593604

What you're saying doesn't even make sense. St. Louis has roughly 300,000 people in the city and another 700,000 in the suburbs. What you're saying is only the 300,000 in the urban areas (many of whom probably can't buy expensive phones) need fast data, while the suburbs don't present a demand? When I tried Sprint and returned the device, I was testing in Chesterfield. It's another suburb in this area and it's where a lot of money is. I don't actually live there, but that's where it fell in its face for me. And I'm not talking obscure areas, but on major highways and roads.

Pacific is an outlying suburb, but it's along I-44 (major highway) and near Six Flags. It's far from some remote area that wouldn't expect to get good cell coverage.

Regardless, you can get excellent data service from AT&T and Verizon in these areas, and that's the real litmus test imo.

verizon_pacific.jpg
verizon_pacific.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyc0524

dmarkman

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
MA, USA
These companies should be fined or sued or both for continually lying about what customers are really getting. Just about every one of these guys has been caught lying with regard to "unlimited" plans. If it's not 100% unlimited, you shouldn't be allowed to call it that, period.
no one promises any downloading/uploading speed. They promise unlimited data amount, and they keep that promise. Yes it is 100% unlimited, period :)

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
These companies should be fined or sued or both for continually lying about what customers are really getting. Just about every one of these guys has been caught lying with regard to "unlimited" plans. If it's not 100% unlimited, you shouldn't be allowed to call it that, period.

They aren't lying (Not like AT&T did). IT's for new customers or renewing customers.

And sue for what? Unlimited Data implies you can use as much data as you want.
Throtteling isn't cutting you off. It's slowing you down.... so you do still have unlimited data.

T-Mobile for instance, has always said "Unlimited data.... XGB at 4G speeds and any data use over that at 2/3G speeds."

AT&T reverted throttled users even when networks were not congested and to below Edge speeds rendering phones useless. That was VERY different than what Sprint is stating they will do. They are also stating they will only Throttle after 23GB when network congestion in congested areas is an issue, not all the time.

But sure, let's sue everyone. They'll just charge more to recoup the damages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.