Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
It would be a tougher merger due to different cell bands and technologies, but overall I think it would be a good thing so they can finally knock on the doors of Big Red and AT&T and finally do some competing to bring the overall costs to consumers down.

Sorry, competition is what brings prices down.....a merger would result in fewer companies out there, which would mean an increase in costs.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Steve Jobs said a lot of things... Doesn't mean it was the truth, then or now. He was a master at deflection.

I think you may be off quite a bit on margins for most everyone you've listed. Would be interested in your source.
But of course.

Enjoy...

the profit margins under the profitability section. Operating margin is pre-tax, profit margin is after taxes are paid.

Of course, all of these figures come from the respective companies' SEC filings.

Also, as mentioned, there are a lot of assets with these two companies, especially spectrum. AT&T wanted T-Mobile for theirs. Sprint has a lot that it acquired from Clear. There's also the IP. Don't ignore the value all of those assets might provide.
Assets and intellectual property are two very different things.

There is very little innovation coming from telecoms. There are only a handful on this planet that actual do substantial R&D (NTT DoCoMo is one).

The telecoms' assets are pretty fixed for their purposes. Something like >90% of AT&T's capital investment is locked in the subscriber loop, the last mile from the central office to the individual's house or business. Stuff like copper wires, fiber optic junction boxes, cellular tower transmitters. This stuff isn't worth much to Apple.

If you're going to peruse the Yahoo Finance links above, why not take a look at Apple and AT&T's balance sheets. You can see that AT&T has a huge amount locked up in Property Plant & Equipment. Apple has very little of that category, most of their assets are in Long Term Investments (like real estate).

AT&T also has a sizable amount of long-term debt. As a matter of fact, they have a decent pile of cash in the USA, and a huge pile of it overseas. Apple's long term? Very little, less than their cash on hand. They could probably pay back their loans tomorrow, but the interest rates on those loans are probably so favorable, it's cheaper to use someone else's money than their own.

Again, being in the telephone industry is much less profitable than designing smartphones. Heck, Apple stepped away from manufacturing its own products; that's not a particularly profitable business either.

Apple could have built their own network from scratch. They could have acquired someone else. They could have functioned as an MVNO like Straight Talk. They could have done this for any cellular market on this planet, not just the USA. In the end, they decided not to do this anywhere.

Buying mobile network operators does not fit Apple's business strategy. At the end of the day, the mobile network is a dumb pipe.

Go ahead. Go to the library, switch on WiFi, turn off cellular data, then ask yourself what you are missing.

Last edited:

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Guess I'm one of the few on here that's all for it.

I've alternated between AT&T and Sprint for the past 15 years (8yrs AT&T and with them currently, 5 yrs Sprint old red logo and new yellow logo) and have had great service with both. Never had Verizon except for FIOS but know their phone service is great too. As far as T-Mobile goes, it seems people complain about their less than stellar service but let it slide due to their lower prices. They could use Sprint's help instead of being the perpetual 4th place that they always are. If it eventually happens, I'll like seeing Sprint compete against AT&T and Verizon on a more level playing field.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Wow! So the crappiest USA CDMA carrier wants to buy the crappiest USA GSM carrier, WOW!

I'm assuming we would want to use that Sprint Spectrum and turn it into a decent-competitive to AT&T GSM carrier and not the other way around. CDMA is crap, GSM rules the World!

-Mike

----------

True! But looking at these two particular companies is like looking at a chicken without a head. They both need serious help here.

-Mike

Sorry, competition is what brings prices down.....a merger would result in fewer companies out there, which would mean an increase in costs.

----------

They are both crap so this is a perfect marriage here.

-Mike
Oh, great. The crappiest of the already crappy Big Three wants to buy the only half-decent major carrier.

T-Mobile's new, fairly transpared "Un-carrier" stuff was what actually got me to switch from prepaid to a contract on my iPhone. Sure as hell not going to bend over for Sprint.

----------

I agree!

-Mike
I honestly believe by 2020 the networks' bread and butter services, voice and text messaging, which are already in decline will be totally deprecated by the data messaging services like iMessage/FaceTime/Skype/Facebook etc. At least in the US the big 4 carriers see the writing on the wall and roll up voice/sms in all their current plans so they don't have to account for minutes and instead data usage. The data usage is where they see their future, that is less obvious to customers exactly how much they are using. I've been wishing for years the carriers would just become dump pipe utility companies. Well, if that's the way they go then we need to make sure they have reliable networks and hopefully a heaping serving of government regulation with it.

----------

Saving money no but better service from two crappy carriers combined yes. But even if this happens it will take years for things to be migrated and working properly. Look back at the Cingular/AT&T mess and Cingular was already GSM weren't they?

-Mike

Well, it can't be any worse than the Sprint-Nextel merger.

Also, T-Mobile USA and MetroPCS are using two different cellular technologies. The legacy MetroPCS network is CDMA based.

It may eventually improve cellular reception coverage from the combined towers and larger spectrum allocation.

I'm not convinced this merger would help consumers save money though.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
If they end up combining together, then they should not be able to buy any spectrum in the upcoming 600 mhz auction.

Sprint already owns significantly more spectrum than the rest of them. Combining with TMobile makes their holdings even larger.

Leave it to AT&T and VZW.

I don't think Sprint buying TMo is the way to go. They need to slowly buy the little regional carriers, like US Cellular, etc. However, that doesn't seem like it will happen. VZW and AT&T can offer much more money and are willing to pay just for the spectrum.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
It always is no matter what and takes a long time. Look back at the Cingular/AT&T merger.

-Mike
To echo the other poster above, this is a seriously bad idea. The Nextel merger proved that trying integrate two large networks based on different technologies is a painful experience.

----------

No, not even close and they have a really crappy/slow over crowded network too.

-Mike
This is very different from the blocked at&t/T:Mo merger because Sprint doesn't have nearly the market share that at&t has.

Regarding technology differences - it would not be like iDEN/CDMA merger that happened with the Nextel purchase. Every mobile carrier (att/vz/s/tmo) is moving to full-LTE (voip) in the near future.

----------

Ahhah, broke ass Tmobile is buying nobody...

-Mike

Interesting, it has been speculated, mainly within T-Mo, that they would be buying Sprint, not the other way around, and converting everyone to GSM.

----------

GSM is out the door, what? Have you traveled outside of the USA? Most of the rest of the World runs on GSM networks not crap CDMA!

-Mike

QUOTE=mpantone;18497919]Unlikely.

T-Mobile USA's parent company Deutsche Telekom wants to divest itself of its majority stake in the US subsidiary.

Sprint is the larger company and is owned by Softbank Corporation of Japan. Softbank recently upped their Sprint ownership stake from 78% to 80%, so it does not appear likely that Softbank is trying to divest itself of Sprint.

I don't know who your T-Mobile sources are, but they are likely delusional.

In any case, the merger would not result in immediate consolidation and redeployment of network technology. Users of the legacy networks would still be supported for many years to come. Note that eight years elapsed between Sprint's acquisition of Nextel in 2005 and the shuttering Nextel's iDEN network in June 2013.

Converting everyone to GSM would be a massive waste of money as GSM is headed out the door. GSM and CDMA are circuit switched networks, incompatible with LTE (a packet network). Future voice communication protocols will be packet-based.[/QUOTE]

----------

There we go, lets send it over to AT&T they have the money to buy it.

-Mike

If they end up combining together, then they should not be able to buy any spectrum in the upcoming 600 mhz auction.

Sprint already owns significantly more spectrum than the rest of them. Combining with TMobile makes their holdings even larger.

Leave it to AT&T and VZW.

I don't think Sprint buying TMo is the way to go. They need to slowly buy the little regional carriers, like US Cellular, etc. However, that doesn't seem like it will happen. VZW and AT&T can offer much more money and are willing to pay just for the spectrum.

ledermanStudio

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
488143_10151241850601746_1194916919_n_zpsdcf1e58e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Huh? Where exactly is this far superior LTE network you speak of? I went searching for it but didn't find much. Maybe you are talking about their new 20+ LTE network which is available almost nowhere yet.

-Mike
what a hilariously terrible idea. Two completely opposite networks trying to integrate, haha what a joke. Sprint just wants Tmobile's far superior LTE network.

sergey19

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2010

But this merger would mean more very large carriers that can compete with one another (3 vs 2).

Jadeite312

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2005
Nah, it's cool, I didn't want competition anyways. Bring on the monopoly!

However I find it hilarious that everyone here who wants Samsung killed and for Apple to be the only phone/tablet/pc/tv/watch manufacturer now suddenly don't like monopolies. Ignorance is bliss.

Huge difference. I have no problem with Samsung they make great TVs but when it blatantly copies from Apple there is a problem ergo the lawsuits

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
And you might try monopony.

I wholeheartedly approve of this. :)

I mean.. DAWWWWWWW!

----------

Not just no, but HELL no.

Sprint refuses to allow unlocked phones not sold by them onto their network, AND refuses to unlock their phones for domestic use, period, even out of contract.

I'd rather not such an anti-customer company buy out one that gives you so much freedom to unlock and use any phone you wish.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Yes! This will even the field out and the merger will benefit both Sprint and Tmobile. Keep the unlimited everything plan for 65 and a greater network, boom success.:D

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
the feds blocked the AT&T - T-Mobile merger but let the AA & USAir go through, which will probably result in higher air fares for all... :confused:

Bribes and political influence in the right places....works wonders. The regulatory agencies are very open to "influence"..

----------

Huge difference. I have no problem with Samsung they make great TVs but when it blatantly copies from Apple there is a problem ergo the lawsuits

I'm fully in agreement with you. Samsung makes great TVs.

mizzouxc

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
If this happens, I'll likely just do without a cell phone. I won't do business with Verizon, Sprint or AT&T. People complain about t-mobile's coverage, but Sprint takes the cake when it comes to crap service.

Sprint's service, management and customer service is only slightly worse than that of the Federal Government.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
If this happens I guess I will keep my business with AT&T, I really liked T-mobile but Sprint customer service is ultimate crap and I won't be dealing with them or their ridiculous unlocking policies. Besides with all the great strides Tmobile has been making is it really wise to give up all that?

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA

With the current system, pricing is completely out of control. MVNOs and T-Mobile are the only ones that are even remotely making sense, but pricing should still be lower than what it is. How could things get worse?

The playing field needs to be leveled a bit. One cell phone standard (LTE) for all carriers/phones. No subsidies on phones. Only then will there truly be competition. Right now it's all a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

----------

If this happens, I'll likely just do without a cell phone. I won't do business with Verizon, Sprint or AT&T. People complain about t-mobile's coverage, but Sprint takes the cake when it comes to crap service.

Sprint's service, management and customer service is only slightly worse than that of the Federal Government.

One emergency later, and you'll be regretting that decision. Better to go with some sort of prepaid / by the minute service than not carry a phone at all.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Wait a minute wasn't the CEO of Sprint one of the most outspoken people trying to ban the AT&T - Tmobile takeover? But yet now he is trying to do the same thing? He even went as far as to say that if the government allowed this it would be an outrage and a disservice to consumers. :rolleyes:

This is not a good counterargument at all, oh eye rolling one. Sprint plus T-Mobile added together are still smaller than AT&T. And yes, size does matter (or more accurately, market share) in the approval of mergers. The government does not have good cause to block this.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Bad. Sprint is garbage, I will never subscribe to them. T-Mobile is superior, esp. pricing and customer service.

Also, this is Exhibit A concerning why I purchase my cell phones unlocked and contract-free. If this merger does go through, I am gone in a minute and will sign with a low-cost GSM carrier. Could also do CDMA.

Just another reason why the unlocked "Verizon" version of the iPhone 5s was the smart unlocked purchase choice. Great phone, all radios unlocked, maximum flexibility and resale value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.