Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware
Speaking of carrier salesmanship, I've often read that part of it is that the Verizon salesforce are much more likely to push Android (or as they'd put it, Droid) over iPhone whereas AT&T sales people are usually the opposite, is that true?

On the other hand poor Windows Phone devices usually get strong dis-recommendation from sales clerks it seems.

Yeah they pretty much do. I guess the logic is that if someone is going to buy an iPhone, they've already decided that before they walk in the door so iPhones essentially sell themselves.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
So much hype and fanfare when Verizon got the iPhone. I remember those threads, "AT&Ts death".

Yet surprisingly AT&T is doing just fine and beating two carriers. Seems to show that the vocal ones were just a minority. If AT&T would be problem ridden as we were led to believe, there would be mass exodus. Something that has yet to be seen.

I left AT&T with 3 iPhones

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
So much hype and fanfare when Verizon got the iPhone. I remember those threads, "AT&Ts death".

Yet surprisingly AT&T is doing just fine and beating two carriers. Seems to show that the vocal ones were just a minority. If AT&T would be problem ridden as we were led to believe, there would be mass exodus. Something that has yet to be seen.

I think there are a lot of people like me, who have been with AT&T since iPhone 1 and would switch to Verizon in a second, but AT&T makes that near impossible. I have five lines on my AT&T account, all with contract expirations at various times of the year. We can't afford the ridiculous term cancellation fees, and we keep signing new contracts because some of us (me) need to have the new iPhone every year! So we're stuck!

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I love Sprint, been a customer since Sprint acquired MCI WorldCom. In a family of 5, we pay less than $40/person/month for unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited mobile to mobile (to all carriers) and more shared minutes than god would need.

For all those people who cry "Verizon is better": Where Sprint is lacking, I can roam all day long on Verizon (including data) for free, and still pay less.

I obviously don't speak for everyone, but we always buy our phones on Sprint's own website. They ship overnight for free, and often the best promotions on prices are on there (this doesn't really apply to the iPhone as it's rarely discounted anywhere).

Also Best Buy, Apple Stores, and retail Sprint Stores always charge an "activation fee" which we have waived if we buy online (though this was something we had to ask for).

It's too bad they got rid of Sprint Premier and all those perks, but it's still the best carrier around here (Boston) imo.

Sprint works well in Atlanta too

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
Speaking of carrier salesmanship, I've often read that part of it is that the Verizon salesforce are much more likely to push Android (or as they'd put it, Droid) over iPhone whereas AT&T sales people are usually the opposite, is that true?

On the other hand poor Windows Phone devices usually get strong dis-recommendation from sales clerks it seems.

I can see that .. Yes, I have never had anyone recommend a Windows phone to me lol

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
no sprint is just a rip off. at least half if not most smart phone users are on a family plan which means everyone has different contract end dates. second sprint is a rip off on family plans and smart phone plans in general.

i know since i price out leaving AT&T once in a while. i would pay A LOT more at Sprint than AT&T. i'm looking at going pre-paid later this year.

Sprint has the dumbest management in the entire wireless industry, has had for at least a decade. and this is just the latest evidence of it.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
take the chill pill buddy... judging people as "stupid" on the basis of their carrier's reliability is... not very clever, is it ?

I'd run my iphone on any network honestly really. I use most my data on my home wifi personally :D

----------

Sprint works well in Atlanta too

I agree. I use AT&T and most my friends have Verizon or Sprint. Hands down, the best, and honestly the only network that works, in Atlanta is Sprint. Especially if the Falcons, Hawks, or Braves are playing that night, or the weekend in general. AT&T and Verizon both suck tremendously in the Big ATL.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If Sprint gets its LTE network out the door and maintains true unlimited data, then I might be tempted to leave my faux AT&T unlimited data plan behind.

healage

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
This excuse has been overused so much I don't even think its true anymore.

How is that an "excuse"? There are a lot of iPhone 4 customers who didn't find the iPhone 4S a compelling enough model to update to, who are waiting for the next generation to come out before locking themselves into a new contract. I know many people in the same situation as me, personally.

I've never had any issues with AT&T and if I had to update to the 4S I would go with AT&T because data speed matters to me. This is why when I upgrade next, assuming that the next iPhone will have 4G LTE capabilities, it will be with Verizon (who has a much more advanced LTE network than AT&T.)

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Could this be an indication of the types of customers that visit these venues?

I had Sprint decades ago and suffered for it. I'm not apt to trust/believe their advertisements, and wouldn't think that an iPhone with their service would be a good thing. But at the time I had Sprint their service was spotty through mid-Michigan at best. On the way to a client's office, there was a dead zone that lasted about a half hour that made life a little less than great... Oh, plus I had to do the Lion King in the middle of this client's parking lot to get anything close to a reliable connection. I'm sure I looked pretty bizarre standing in the parking lot offering my phone to the gods to talk on the phone... :D:):eek::rolleyes::confused::eek:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
How is that an "excuse"? There are a lot of iPhone 4 customers who didn't find the iPhone 4S a compelling enough model to update to, who are waiting for the next generation to come out before locking themselves into a new contract. I know many people in the same situation as me, personally.

I've never had any issues with AT&T and if I had to update to the 4S I would go with AT&T because data speed matters to me. This is why when I upgrade next, assuming that the next iPhone will have 4G LTE capabilities, it will be with Verizon (who has a much more advanced LTE network than AT&T.)

Let's keep the insults to a minimum shall we? I didn't insult you I see no reason why you should insult me.

As per the excuse it is an excuse. Every year I hear the same story over and over. People wait for next new thing, don't like it and still end up buying it on the same carrier just to later complain and whine about their decision and blame the carrier. It's a nice circle. And it happens every year with everyone.

There is just that vocal minority who already did us the favor of shutting up and leaving AT&T.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

Insulting the help isn't winning friends... I saw little value in upgrading to the 4s as well, except for the opportunity to purchase an unlocked iPhone, finally.

I've had issues with AT&T sporadically since I have had them. One that plagued me for years was that their 'micro-cell' wouldn't work right. If I roamed into, or out of, the 'cell' created by the device, I'd lose the call. EVERY TIME!!! It was driving us nuts... I was at the AT&T store many times, and even the Genius Bar. Now, after popping my 'toy budget' for six months, and getting the 4s, the problems have disappeared. No longer do I have to sit at the end of the driveway to save my in-process call from being booted.

So upgrading has been 'interesting'.

Lately I am getting the old 'no ring, and no idea you missed a call unless they leave voicemail that causes the phone to chime' shtick. I am familiar with that one from an earlier phone...

As for Verizon: I stood in their showroom once, the only person there, for over 20 minutes while sales people buzzed around as if I was invisible. I don't want them to wash my feet, but acknowledging me as a customer with a question, someone seeing me, would have been damn nice...

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Here we go again with more: "My choice brand is better than your brand because of XYZ and so forth and so on."

Does every thread on Macrumors have to be turned into a brand battle?

I have Sprint, only because it's the cheapest. Talking and surfing at the same time is moot for me, and if I needed super fast internet speeds I'd stick with Android, or just use my EVO as a hotspot and connect my iPad. Or I'd just go back to my Macs at home or the 108 MacPro and HP Z series workstations at my job.

There, see, I just gave a scenario where I used like four different brands. What kind of fanboy am I?

Some people like to blindly over pay for things. I guess thats why we are on MacRumors :D

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
Been with Sprint now for over 7 years and have never had the cll reliability issues that both AT&T and Verizon have had.

I have had both family member and coworkers who could not get enough signal to place or keep phone calls at their homes, workplaces etc. where my phone had plenty of signal. That is why i have stuck with Sprint for this long.

And according to the emails Sprint has been spamming me with the past couple of weeks they have begun the rollout of their own LTE network so hopefully by the time the new iPhone rolls out it will be available in my area and I will continue to use it with my first ever iPhone.

For me at least the reason why I bought a smart phone was first as a phone second as an alternate data device for when I need things like maps and directions of quick google searches. Not for streaming media onto a small screen. That is what my iPad is for and I use wi-fi for that.

blumpkin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Um, isn't it obvious that Benita simply doesn't have an Apple store within a 200-mile radius? How can you go that far when your welfare check will only take you ~30 or so miles before you have to tap into your crack reserves? To the Sprint store it is.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
This has to be the most MEANINGLESS article I've seen on MR in 2 years.

There is absolutely no point to having an article state "More people buy an iPhone on a Sprint system at big box retailer instead of the Sprint store."...on this website.

Upcoming articles we're likely to see on MR:

1)AT&T Sells 1.5x More iPhone Case Covers at AT&T Stores Compared To Walmart

2)Air Conditioning At Apple Stores 2 Degrees Cooler Than Other Retailers

3)Best Buy Carpets Necessitate 60% More Vacuum Cleaning Than Walmart

4)AT&T Stores' Weekday Hours 3 Hours Longer Than Big Box Stores

5)Farting In Phone Stores Occurs 70% More Often If Store Exists In Mall With Food Court

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Sprint's issue is purely it's network. Their CS is miles away from the atrocity it was a few years ago but their lack of a real 4G network, and declining 3G speeds, are killing their sales.

In my area I've seen my 3G data speeds drop from an average of 500-700kps to about 100kpbs in the same region with 4-5 bars of signal. This has been a well known issue and continues to be.

I actually really like Sprint as a company. They gave me a free Airave because my home is in a dead zone (5 minutes out and it's full go figure) and waived the monthly fee. They even upgraded me to a new one when the Airvana came out. Despite this I'm still jumping to Verizon next month because I get dropped calls and little to no data speed even in best-coverage zones.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
AT&T isn't beating Verizon. Verizon is the largest American carrier. There's no prize for winning the iPhone sales battle.

Verizon is only "larger" because of their last merger/takeover of Alltel (Dec 2008).

----------

Just upgraded my EVO4G to a 4S.

I am happy with Sprint.

Then you are a lucky Sprint customer. See link below....Sprint's own forum on iPhone issues (almost 1 million hits)....speed is a major issue.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78766?start=0&tstart=0

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Verizon is only "larger" because of their last merger/takeover of Alltel (Dec 2008).

----------

Then you are a lucky Sprint customer. See link below....Sprint's own forum on iPhone issues (almost 1 million hits)....speed is a major issue.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78766?start=0&tstart=0

I live in one of the largest Metros in the country. The issue is people are expecting the NEW IPHONE to make everything faster and better and have no clue how the technology really works.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Frankly, Sprint is cheapest (and some would argue that you get what you pay for), so the people who would use them would probably shop at places that have a lower price point than an Apple Store in general.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
On what planet is AT&T "beating" Verizon? Verizon covers more area. When the iPhone with LTE comes out, all of the AT&T speed arguments will be moot point, won't they?

"Coverage" is a non-issue for 90% of people.

I can get "coverage" on any of these carriers, anywhere I go.

All I care about is data speed. Its 2012, for crying out loud. 1.5 Mbps from Sprint is garbage....3.5 Mbps from Verizon is also junk.

Varying speeds of 4 Mbps to 12 Mbps on AT&T is all I want to hear about. Apparently, the overwhelming majority of customers agree, unsurprisingly.

People with "coverage" issues can make their own decisions. Clearly, its not (and never was) the fantasy that people on forums made it out to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.