Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Stacks

I've been using stacks with Leopard this whole time and with the minor modification of ... can't think of what they are called ... those stack cover things ... I think they look great and function perfectly. I wish that was an addition to OS 10.5 - customer stack cover thingys (and I think it should be marketed just like that ... lol)

Otherwise Leopard works great for me, it doesn't feel as stable as Tiger, but I think that is because it looks more "pretty" and Tiger looks more "functional"

Just my 2 cents.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's nice that the incredibly small population of whiners who used dock folders in Tiger and were unhappy with stacks functionality replacing that, are finally getting their whiny way about this (I guess).

Nice meta whine.

Are you really so bitter that an actual common user complaint actually got fixed? And in a way that people who like the new way can stick with it?

Seriously, do you really have that much free time and energy that you're complaining about apple LISTENING to what customers want?

Amazing.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
I'm really sorry, but my first reaction was that it looked like this...

winstart.jpg

...backs away slowly...

:apple:

mixotic

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
Huge Oversight...

I think this was just a HUGE oversight on their part. It's one of those things that, as a developer, you can get all wrapped up in the "coolness" of. It's a common problem for people to get so enamored with something they work on that they forget about other aspects of it.

For all of us, this seemed like slap to the face of usability. I'm sure they just forgot all about it until we started screaming. Kudos to them for doing something about it.

And right quick too!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sweet.

Although not exactly the way I was hoping for it... I guess their way is better than mine though. (I was hoping in fan view, clicking on a folder in a stack would make it so a fan came out of the fan... while cool sounding/looking... I doubt it would be very productive.)

Yeah, but it's probably just a custom dock.

Are you suggesting Apple will make it easier to customize the dock? Or just that the person "hacked" their dock via terminal?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Why the animosity? You just hate having choices? Does the fact that you can buy Photoshop OR Photoshop Elements bug you too?

But sometimes too much choice can be bad. What about the Windows Vista versions for example? In this case however Apple is right to add these new options.

@ mixotic I agree.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I for one am not happy :(

Not because another choice (which happens not to affect me) has been added, but that Stacks are still mostly useless to me, when they could be fantastic; I read the thread title and immediately thought 10.5.2 would bring the Stacks feature that was great in the pre-GM builds - dragging miscellaneous files from around your HD to create one Stack, instead of it basically being a pretty alias to a folder.

Also, you should be able to install an app which is drag&drop by dragging it into an Applications Stack, without the horrible icon given now...

Notice it's not a reflective dock?

I doubt that is Apple's doing, its very easy to change the dock now...pity its not so easy to customise the side dock...

rtcruz1

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
yipee!

So it seems apple does listen to reviews and end-user feedback! This is great! This was pretty much my only gripe with moving to Leopard. I'm glad to see they're going to address it. Thank you Apple!

RKnight

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2007
Kudos to Apple. They are listening!!! And delivering. Look, stacks are an interesting idea, and in theory make a lot of sense. Some people online have came up with really creative uses for them. But there was those few show stoppers that left everyone scratching their heads.

All we ever wanted was options! I'm all for every new feature in Leopard, but give us options to tweak it without having to resort to third-party apps and terminal commands. A simple option for a new feature goes a really, really long way. It's not like not having it the way they wanted it was a functionality issue. It was a matter of taste and not everyone dug the new icon stacks and fan/grid views.

I can't wait for 10.5.2. Its going to fix a lot, and really refine an already killer, slick OS. This is why I own Macs! Thanks Apple!

tartaruga

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2006
Florida
One less stumbling block

I'm very happy to see this change. I love using my applications folder on the dock. I purchased Leopard for my wife's iMac for Christmas, and this makes me less apprehensive about her reaction. I like the look of the solution.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
This is at least a step in the right direction to bring back basic functionality that was removed with Leopard.

Now if they just finish them, and make them work like that pre-release video did where you can drag apps/files/folders and it will make a stack.

This screams of Apple's rush job to get Leopard out the door. Stacks *could* be really innovative and awesome (like in the video). Instead we got a scaled down version with limited functionality.

-Kevin

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
This was one of the major things that me me downgrade to Tiger, if true and they also fix the permissions issue. I'll be more than happy to upgrade

There are no permissions issues. Apple made some KB articles about this and its working properly.

silverbelly

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
thank you apple for changing this as this is seriously my number one complaint about leopard (when the os is so good, you have to pick on something!! :) )

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
So I am a very happy user Stacks. I love them. Sure I would also like the features that used to be in pre-GM stacks, but I use stacks a lot for Downloads and App Folders.

But I want a normal folder list for my users folder and documents folder because they are usually many folders deep.

I think stacks would be better improved by allowing us to click on a folder in a stack and have it open as a new stack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.