Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texan78

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Remember, they are supposed to be shipping 600,000 units.

They could only take 600K in pre-orders. That doesn't mean what the have made in production. This is all a marketing ploy to milk the launch date to help the market shares. Man, come on people. How many times have we seen this from Apple??? They have well over 600K. All you had to do was watch the WWDC and know that.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
All of that fun, surrounded by unbathed smelly geeks talking about their favorite Babylon 5 episodes!

Oh, look, there's one nodding off. Quick, skip him while he dreams about touching a girl for the first time. Take his can of Red Bull while you're at it. Quick, quick!

Oh, look, there's Steve Wozniak, who'd be nothing today without Chuck Peddle. Chuck who? Never mind! Get Woz's autograph. Oh, Woz, sign my palm in reverse with this sharpie so I can press it against my Apple II+ and leave an imprint. *le sigh*

Oh, look, a gi-gi-girl! Nobody make eye contact!

... Lol. :cool:
\says the guy posting on an online message board:confused:

feri

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
London, UK
Inside Apple in Bristol (UK) and can't get it!

Pan European problem with Barcode make it impossible to sell unlocked iPhone at this time. 7.30am

blastedbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Context matters

They could only take 600K in pre-orders. That doesn't mean what the have made in production. This is all a marketing ploy to milk the launch date to help the market shares. Man, come on people. How many times have we seen this from Apple??? They have well over 600K. All you had to do was watch the WWDC and know that.

Okay, let's say they have 2,000,000 they are shipping or only 300,000. In either case, there are bound to be some that are not quite as good as others. I don't care what company you are. Go back and read both what I wrote and what I was responding to. Not every unit will be perfect, so don't count on your iPhone 4 having brown spots and this and that problem just because some other people's did. I bet there are more people like me who got one that seems to be 100%.

Still using a G4 Cube daily ;)

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I figure if you're someone committed enough to stand in line overnight outside you'd be committed enough to spend all day on the 15th trying to get your preorder in!

At the time I was waiting on my roommate/main account holder to make up his mind. I reserved on the off chance I'd be able ot work something out with him (it was great, gave me a week and I didn't commit to it). Lucky me, he decided he did want it (after it was too late to even try to pre-order). Course now I eventually have to go wait in line.

But you know what, I'm looking at it as more of an experience. Might as well make a positive out of it. Waiting for it to be delivered just isn't quite the same.

jamesrt2004

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I did receive my iPhone 4 today (pre-order from Apple) even though I did not get the letter from Apple. It has no screen problems. No brown spots. I enclosed it in my hands and the only single that dropped strength was the WiFi (which is to be expected). Some people might be having problems, but I am thinking it might be limited. Remember, they are supposed to be shipping 600,000 units. 99.9% perfection translates to 600 unfortunate phones.

Oh, while I don't care to stand in line for the iPhone, those who are complaining about those who chose too, what about the crazy people who stand in lines for concerts and sporting events? They are not any more important (and don't last as long)... It is all a matter of personal choice. Be glad you have it :)

you seriously think they are getting a yield of 99.9% ... LOL

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hmmm, should I head up to the store now, or get a few hours of sleep? I think getting there at 5:30 should be plenty early, especially since I have a preorder. Right? Time to go to bed for a bit. I just hope I don't have any screen issues. One of my main reasons for upgrading is to get rid of my yellowish 3GS screen. I love my iPad screen! IPS FTW.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
hahah. its funny cause i have a reserved one and can cut the whole line :D

I heard a rumor, and yes this is serious, that there will be two lines. One for those that already ordered ahead (preorder), and then a separate line for the people that wait overnight because they didn't preorder. In fact, I think a MacRumors main news post said this (a line for those that preordered).

blastedbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Literalism is not always a feature

you seriously think they are getting a yield of 99.9% ... LOL

Wasn't talking yield, actually, was talking about the quality of units shipped. But the number 99.9 was a for example. At 99.99% 600,000 units give you 60 bad ones and at 99% there are 6,000. At 90% there are 60,000. The point is simple. There are bound to be some stinkers. One bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bushel in this case :)

You folks are just too funny with how you read things!

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Isnt standing in line for hours upon hours to pick up a ... phone on the day of its launch just a teensy weensy bit futile and frankly - a bit sad?
Well NO!!!
Of course not!
How dare you even suggest such a thing!
Me? Im off to work ... found out I'll be noticed if I dont turn in ...
:p

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Why would you do this?

What part of iPhone 4 did you not understand?

Many people weren't ablt to get through on pre-order so it's either camp out or go without for quite a while. Also, camping out can be kind of fun. I live just down the street from the Palo Alto store. So far the line is longer than any other iPhone launch, but the crowd tonight is made up more of normal people...less geeks, less bloggers, just regular folks who want an iPhone.

blastedbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
One ring to rule them all

I heard a rumor, and yes this is serious, that there will be two lines. One for those that already ordered ahead (preorder), and then a separate line for the people that wait overnight because they didn't preorder. In fact, I think a MacRumors main news post said this (a line for those that preordered).

Is it possible that it might be different in different locations?

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Wow... I am really a fan of new high tech toys that I actually don't really need... But this is crazy! I would never do something like that.

Maybe I'll get one when the first rush is over. Maybe... I survived without an iPhone so far, so I can make it another few months.

Those poor people waiting in line like this for a PHONE with some bells and whistles should get a life.

groovebuster

gmlangesq

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Why You Aren't Getting a White iPhone 4 Today... Reason for Delay!

So I discovered a plausible explanation for the manufacturing difficulty!

The white, which is screenprinted onto the glass, doesn't regularly generate a perfect white. Apple sets really high standards for its products, so the white ones that aren't white enough are rejected. Simple as that. It's taking them forever just to make white enough glass.

Source: TheWhiteiPhone4Blog

blastedbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Wow... I am really a fan of new high tech toys that I actually don't really need... But this is crazy! I would never do something like that.

Maybe I'll get one when the first rush is over. Maybe... I survived without an iPhone so far, so I can make it another few months.

Those poor people waiting in line like this for a PHONE with some bells and whistles should get a life.

groovebuster

Then again, they might be saying the same thing about you!

iPhanatic

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Cupertino, CA
AT&T Stores

AT&T stores in my area have posted on their doors that there will be no walk-in sales until the 29th, as stated in the memo. I'm in the South Bay, California. Hope this helps potential campers at the AT&T stores from wasting their time

Drewtwentytwo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
What part of iPhone 4 did you not understand?

Many people weren't ablt to get through on pre-order so it's either camp out or go without for quite a while. Also, camping out can be kind of fun. I live just down the street from the Palo Alto store. So far the line is longer than any other iPhone launch, but the crowd tonight is made up more of normal people...less geeks, less bloggers, just regular folks who want an iPhone.

are you in the stanford shopping center? or university?

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Is it possible that it might be different in different locations?

I'm sure it depends on the population. If you go to the Apple Store in the middle of New York City, there will probably be hundreds of people trying to get a phone. But if you go to the Apple Store in a small town, there might only be ten people waiting - in that case, there may not be a need for a line.

TonySCV

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
A few years ago when pre-ordering wasn't an option, standing in line for hours on end for a 3G iPhone was a tolerable experience because it was really the only way to get one right away. Most of the people were nice enough in line, but there's no sugar-coating spending 8+ hours waiting around.

Now that pre-ordering is an option, I look at these photos of people standing in line overnight and I think... I'll never do that again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.