Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I am reading this on my iPhone at the moment but I have bought it on a few platforms. Just incase I need a bit of inspiration, or to prove something that is Apple's, when a PC user accuses me of not being like him.

:D

Thank you again Steve. Literally You are the only CEO whom I cared about.

:apple:<3:apple:

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
My hardcover arrived, but it's humongous and heavy. I think I'm gonna have to buy an e-version of this to actually read.. Unless you really like big heavy books, I'd suggest just reading the electronic version of it.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I just downloaded the book on my iPad. It shows up on my iPhone, but isn't downloading. The download bar is there but it isnt doing anything. I have deleted and reinstalled iBooks, restarted the phone, and the same thing happens. I tried the suggestion of downloading another sample which worked fine, but Steve jobs still won't download. Any suggestions?

Check to make sure you're using the correct Apple I.D. If you're like me, you created a second one when iCloud came out. Took me a while to figure out what was wrong.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
It's extremely sequential and pedestrian (i.e., ordinary) and perhaps that was intentional as the book becomes a quick read.

That's some seriously ordinary and bland writing.

It reminds me of following the bouncing ball, until there is some color in writing style that only comes from Steve.

It's odd, because Isaacson's Benjamin Franklin most assuredly has flair and I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that he's writing to the period, instead of using his own style regardless of the period in which he's recalling.

MIGHT HAVE SPOILERS BELOW

I've read the book from cover to cover and I'd give this a B. With all the opportunity Walter had, I think he misses a ton of interesting stuff out. This is played so safe considering the access he had. Walter was inside Ive's studio, he could speak to anybody and he did, but this is what we got!

Anything about Job's private like is fascinating, no question, the book benefits from the family dynamic because it hardly been covered elsewhere. Stuff about his parents at the beginning are probably the best bits. His relationships are also great to read. Anything that added a human element to SJ was all good.

Anything before SJ's time with NeXT isn't really that enlightening, but it's so well covered already. I would argue iCon does a better job in a lot areas. There are a few cute moments though. Especially with Paul Rand.

Early Pixar stuff is good but again, iCon reveals more about the deals with Disney and with nov clever he his.

The chapter about Steve coming back to Apple reveals a little here and there and strangely introduces Larry Ellison without any sort of reason or motive for the way Ellison acts. Boom he's first mentioned in 1997, never before and this is a good friend of Steve's. The book doesn't go into why people are his friends. Only Jony Ive is really explored. Everybody else just floats in and out. I wouldn't even say Steve W gets enough of a mention, but read iWoz and it makes a great companion book.

The last 300-400 pages cover a lot of the stuff already reported from articles and the AllthingsD conference.

SJ's stubbornness and what he went through regarding his treatment however is frightening and you really feel he could have pulled through if he just listened.

Walter misquotes the "Google are out to kill us" speech and talks about SJ's reaction to Siri, just like Campbell did at the SJ memorial. That was weird.

The last meeting with Bill Gates is really sad but so touching, you could tell there was so much between them and they both knew and discussed what else they needed to do within the computing world, it's obvious where Apple is going after Apple TV, maybe Microsoft with a nudge from Gates. I came away respecting Gates more as a person in this book.

Anyway, I hope this isn't the only source used for the movie. It's a good book but it could have been so much better.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
AcoY2pTCEAARZpE.jpg

Just seen that on Twitter.

zup

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Yeah I got that, just waiting for Apple to respond as to whether the update deletes the notes and highlights I made.
My highlights are not ok.
I still have them on the index page (and I think they're synced with iCloud because I see them on both the iPhone and the iPad), but when I click on one, I get sent to different page. Even if I go to the right page, the text is not highlighted anymore (in some cases, there's something else highlighted).

This sucks. Well, at least I have the index and I can rebuild them...

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I bought Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson as an Audiobook. But after purchasing it, I realized I bought the abridged version. So I went on to buy the actual unabridged version and emailed Apple. They told me they would refund the abridged version purchased.

Another +1 for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.