Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrHa

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
+1. Weird. Have reset and restarted everything. Maybe their servers are a bit busy this morning...

Happened to me, but found a solution. I downloaded another book to see if the servers were down, and then all of a sudden, the biography downloaded. Try and download a free book, it should jump start your purchase to download.

ThanksSteve

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
A touching quote about his kids. It's tough to balance a super busy work life with an active home life. I'd be interested in hearing a little about his personal life to go along with his impressive public and work life.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Just bought it from the Swedish iBookstore, so i guess it's not only available on the US iBooks.

I bought the english version and iBooks shows about 250 pages... it this really correct since the store says about 600 pages? :S A bit confused here

my iPad says 1.700 pages :eek:

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
my iPad says 1.700 pages :eek:

It all depends on what text size you have set, what device you are viewing it on (iPad or iPhone), and what orientation– vertical or horizontal. There's no hard page count with digital books because a "page" is virtual and subject to size and density variations.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
That's because the market is dictating the price, people are willing to pay that, just look at this thread as an example. I count myself in that crowd as I now have my the book on my iPad.

Yeah right.

If it was $9.99 on Kindle and $16.99 on iBooks, how would the "market" deal with that?

It's no coincidence that the book is priced the exact same across devices.

I think that is the opposite of "the market".

Of course if you are happy paying dead tree + prices, by all means, go ahead.
I won't.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I bought in iBooks (on my iPad). I have sync enabled on my iPhone - but the book isnt' showing up as something I've purchased. Any help is greatly appreciated

Nevermind - FINALLY appeared.. I guess the servers/iCloud is sticky today

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
Yeah right.

If it was $9.99 on Kindle and $16.99 on iBooks, how would the "market" deal with that?

It's no coincidence that the book is priced the exact same across devices.

I think that is the opposite of "the market".

Of course if you are happy paying dead tree + prices, by all means, go ahead.
I won't.

I preordered mine in June from Amazon on Kindle for 14.99. Now its 16.99 but I got it for lower because of the price guarantee. i think the market did determine the price hike when the popularity of the book went up because of Jobs death.

tk187

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
jobs book download error

Downloaded on iBooks but you can't read it all the text is squished up and stacked. Anyone else notice this?

/b

I had the same issue. Called Apple. told me to delete and download again. Tried it 3 times. Still get blank pages and squished words. Cant read it. I can't believe Jobs books can't be read on Ipad2. Jobs would be livid.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
I had the same issue. Called Apple. told me to delete and download again. Tried it 3 times. Still get blank pages and squished words. Cant read it. I can't believe Jobs books can't be read on Ipad2. Jobs would be livid.

A premonition of things to come?

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
For those who pre-ordered but the book didn't download

I had the same issue. Pre-ordered (and got the email telling me so) but when I opened up iBooks it wasn't there.

I realized I had ordered under my original Apple ID and was currently logged into my new one (which was set up when I went to iCloud).

Went to Settings-Store and logged out and then logged back in under my old i.d. then re-opened iBooks and it downloaded.

Hope this helps others.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I never got the allure of books on tape, but then I said the same thing for ebooks, until the iPad came out. For me, I learn by reading not listening so its not a work able solution. I think that's a symptom of ADD, if I focus on a task I'm good, but listening in the background, I'll miss most of what was said.

I personally think that biographies work really well as audiobooks.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
Stumped

I just downloaded the book on my iPad. It shows up on my iPhone, but isn't downloading. The download bar is there but it isnt doing anything. I have deleted and reinstalled iBooks, restarted the phone, and the same thing happens. I tried the suggestion of downloading another sample which worked fine, but Steve jobs still won't download. Any suggestions?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
I have the exact same issue! Re-downloaded a thousand times but pictures dint load properly. Anyone know a fix??

Not sure you have the same problem but I fixed mine by updating the ibooks app.

I was having similar issues and couldnt figure out what was wrong as I'd already tried reinstalling, rebooting and everything else I could think of. Was a bit pissed about the fact that the book wont work properly on an iPad made by freaking apple itself. All I could think of was there was something wrong with the iBooks app itself. Maybe there's a bug. Was praying that it gets updated soon but also realized it might be a while coz it'll have to wait for an iOS update before apple can add a fix for this in the iBooks app. That got me even more pissed that why would apple bundle the iBooks app with the iOS.

Thats when I realized I'm an idiot :eek:. iBooks is NOT a stock app. You need to update it manually. Having the latest OS doesnt mean you have the latest version of app. Mine was v1.2.1 while the latest version available is 1.3.2. It worked fine once the app was updated. Hopefully you're as dumb as me too and dont have the latest iBooks update. Coz otherwise you'll need to figure out some other solution.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
The Steve Jobs biography is now available in the U.S. on Apple's iBooks. The book had been rolling out across the world and is now available in all regions.

Highly ironic that Steve Jobs' biography should be reported with such poor choices in diction and grammar...:rolleyes:

It's either Steve Jobs' biography or the biography of Steve Jobs. As for "had been rolling out"...well...

Arn you make enough money to hire a proper editor.

mlad1101

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Highly ironic that Steve Jobs' biography should be reported with such poor choices in diction and grammar...:rolleyes:

It's either Steve Jobs' biography or the biography of Steve Jobs. As for "had been rolling out"...well...

Arn you make enough money to hire a proper editor.

Get over yourself. Seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.