Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
At which point it wouldn't be historical at all. Good plan.

FWIW, the article contains another error when it implies that the city of Los Altos prohibits the demolition historic landmarks. It doesn't.

Apparently you don't go to too many museums. Relocated structures are quite common. Usually where they were located is not what makes them historic. ;)

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
The world has little understanding of Steve yet

People relate him with his products, with creating expensive gadgets.

But Steve became an amazing person after leaving Apple. He too Pixar and created a huge company out of it, he went back to Apple a came up with the iMacs.

I mean, what ever he put his hands on he transformed it into gold. And it was because of his vision and enthusiasm.

I like to watch YouTube videos of Steve Jobs Keynotes and interviews.

There is one in particular regarding Pixar when he said: If you do something right the first time, it will last for ever. And then Toy Story was born, a movie that will be as legendary as Snow White created in 1937.

Taking care of his house is just respect, better than anybody coming and run over it to build another.

There is so much to learn about him as a creator. We are just barely understanding his approach. But I am so glad many people are doing it.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
On the one hand, it does seem to be going too far….On the other hand, this is an historic site...the world really hasn't been the same since. Maybe it is harder to see something as historic, when you are living contemporary to the people who made history…..

That, plus the fact the possibility of historical designation is more of an acknowledgement of the birthplace of all that history-changing technology rather than a personal idolization of Steve Jobs himself.

Historical protection and a nice plaque describing the former 'occupant' for posterity, are not out of line, imho.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Just remember you Government Central Planner types, this humble house is where a multi-multi-billion dollar enterprise was born, without any help from you.

lol so Steve's education, roads, mail-service, monetary system, fire/police department, and everything else government does didn't help his multi-billionaire enterprise?

Face it: The richer you are, the MORE dependent you are on government.

That is because ALL WEALTH derives from government.

Take away government, and wealth disappears. Just like that. You end up with Somalia.

There is an incredibly narcissistic disease that people like you have, where you only think in terms of your own limited worldview, and are unable to see the entire structure of society.

You people with this sort of narcissistic disease need to be cured of this problem you have. It is this disease of yours that causes people do believe in dumb things like "smaller government", when in reality, a bigger government is better.

----------

No help. That's correct.

We didn't get the services you mentioned for free. We pay for them at ridiculous prices.

And guess what else? When a person who worked his/her ass off and got a bonus. Why does he/she has to pay a 40% tax rate instead of the normal already high tax rate for his income? The government didn't help getting him the bonus. They just take and take.

It's because government helped him get richer.

That is why the richer you are, the more you need to pay taxes, because you are more dependent on government.

Poor people couldn't care less about government - they are just fine being poor with or without government. It is the rich that need government more than the poor.

Don't believe me? Take away government, and see what happens to the rich.

You're welcome.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I am a museum director, and where they are located is usually a big part what makes them historic.

Nixon birthplace home - is location all that important, nope

Henry Ford birthplace home - is location all that important, nope

Berlin Wall - location somewhat important and more powerful seen in Berlin, but still breathtaking seen elsewhere. But the wall couldn't remain completely in tact. It doesn't make the sections not in Berlin any less valuable historically.

Edisto Slave Cabin - not at all. It's the cabin that matters.

Tullie Smith House (Atlanta) - again, more the house that matters.

7 Foot Knoll Lighthouse (moved to Baltimore) - again structure is what's key.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. If you are truly a museum director I'm baffled by your statement. Minor historic structures are moved all the time to save them from destruction. We are not taking about Mt. Vernon here, but structures that still have a historic nature and worth being saved in some form.

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
On the one hand, it does seem to be going too far...

On the other hand, this is an historic site...the world really hasn't been the same since. Maybe it is harder to see something as historic, when you are living contemporary to the people who made history.

The other thing to remember is, this is California. Crap that is 50 years+ is considered historic. My town is going crazy over its 100th anniversary of its founding. I find that hard to really go crazy over, seeing that the county I grew up in in NJ was founded in 1648, and my mom grew up in a house about 250 years old...

To each their own, I 'spose...

Historic and old are two separate things. Historic events happen even in the 21st century. Just imagine how much heritage would be lost if everything was fair game for being destroyed until it was hundreds of years old, only at which point it would qualify for protection.

----------

No help. That's correct.

We didn't get the services you mentioned for free. We pay for them at ridiculous prices.

And guess what else? When a person who worked his/her ass off and got a bonus. Why does he/she has to pay a 40% tax rate instead of the normal already high tax rate for his income? The government didn't help getting him the bonus. They just take and take.

How about we rephrase that 40% as a contribution towards an expensive system that allows you to safely enjoy that other 60%? Unless you'd rather live in somewhere like Somalia...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Wasn't the Hewlett-Packard garage set up as a historical monument?

It can be overkill, but Apple Computer did change the world. If those two hadn't met, we'd all likely be using IBM PC's and living sucky lives sitting in dust filled auditoriums watching dystopian leaders drone on about productivity, and how great our lives actually could be if we died... Just like the commercial...

----------

No help. That's correct.

So you would gladly go back to a time before interstate highways, air traffic control, water purification, nationwide electrification, worldwide internet connectivity...

Taxes are what people pay to maintain our democracy, our society. Without them, we'd be like Ted Cruz's empty head... The world that the Chamber of Commerce, et all, want to create is going to be so spectacular. Research the European aristocracy and how the 'haves' lived. You obviously assume that you will be on the top of the heap. It's very easy to be destitute in this country now... Very way too easy...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
For me, this is a step too far. The guy was a successful business man. He didn't save the world.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Nixon birthplace home - is location all that important, nope

Henry Ford birthplace home - is location all that important, nope

Berlin Wall - location somewhat important and more powerful seen in Berlin, but still breathtaking seen elsewhere. But the wall couldn't remain completely in tact. It doesn't make the sections not in Berlin any less valuable historically.

Edisto Slave Cabin - not at all. It's the cabin that matters.

Tullie Smith House (Atlanta) - again, more the house that matters.

7 Foot Knoll Lighthouse (moved to Baltimore) - again structure is what's key.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. If you are truly a museum director I'm baffled by your statement. Minor historic structures are moved all the time to save them from destruction. We are not taking about Mt. Vernon here, but structures that still have a historic nature and worth being saved in some form.

Just because you say "not important" doesn't mean you are right. In fact, you are not right.

Yes, buildings and even individual rooms are sometimes relocated to save them from destruction. The second part of that statement is the operative one. Relocation of historic buildings is a poor second choice to them being interpreted in situ. This is a very well accepted principle of historic preservation. Historic preservationists often use the derisive term "architectural petting zoo" to describe buildings that are moved to places of refuge from uncaring owners. In short, you see relocated buildings not because their original locations were unimportant, but because they would have been destroyed otherwise.

As for the Jobs house, the garage is not by any means the only significant part of the property. The entire property is associated with the event of the invention of the Apple computer (National Register of Historic Places Criterion A), and also as the home of Steve Jobs during his productive lifetime (National Register of Historic Places Criterion B). The forms prepared by the city of Los Altos are very poorly done, but any half-decent effort at documenting the significance of the property for the National Register would be a slam-dunk for listing.

I am "truly" a museum director (and historian). How good of you to doubt my veracity, apparently for no other reason than you are new to the issues being discussed here.

----------

Wasn't the Hewlett-Packard garage set up as a historical monument?

Yes, it is a California State Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (as well it should be).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just because you say "not important" doesn't mean you are right. In fact, you are not right.

OK, I'm not right which is why all the structures I listed were not relocated. I didn't make the decision to relocate any of those I listed. However, I'm going to put more stock in actions of organizations like the Smithsonian and Atlanta Historical Society rather than an anonymous poster on rumor site claiming his a historical museum curator.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
OK, I'm not right which is why all the structures I listed were not relocated. I didn't make the decision to relocate any of those I listed. However, I'm going to put more stock in actions of organizations like the Smithsonian and Atlanta Historical Society rather than an anonymous poster on rumor site claiming his a historical museum curator.

Nice try, but desperate, and counterfactual.

Edisto Slave Cabin: Building donated, but not the land. Had to be moved.
Nixon house: Moved to presidential library, because they wanted it there.
Tullie Smith House: Donated to Historical Society of Atlanta.
Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse: Abandoned, decrepit, demolition imminent.

And so on. Try sticking to subjects you know something about.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Nice try, but desperate, and counterfactual.

Edisto Slave Cabin: Building donated, but not the land. Had to be moved.
Nixon house: Moved to presidential library, because they wanted it there.
Tullie Smith House: Donated to Historical Society of Atlanta.
Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse: Abandoned, decrepit, demolition imminent.

And so on. Try sticking to subjects you know something about.

Yes, but you miss my point: none of these structures are less historical because they are not on their original site. It would be great if they were, but just because they are moved elsewhere doesn't negate them.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yes, but you miss my point: none of these structures are less historical because they are not on their original site. It would be great if they were, but just because they are moved elsewhere doesn't negate them.

No, I am not missing your point. Moved buildings are less historical, by definition.

If you reread what I wrote, you will see that I clearly said that preservation in situ is always preferred, because where a building was constructed is nearly always an aspect of its significance. I never said anything about moved buildings being "negated," whatever that's supposed to mean. Moved buildings do lose an aspect of their historical significance, often a large part of it -- because historical events occur in places, not in a vacuum. We have a standard method for evaluating this quality of completeness. It's called "integrity" and is divided into seven aspects -- the first of which is "location."

Tearing the attached garage off the house were Steve Jobs grew up would reduce its significance to almost nil because a large part of the significance of the property is not just the garage, but the house where Steve grew up and lived during the time the events occurred. This as I mentioned before is the eligibility under Criterion B of the National Register (association with a historically important individual).

BTW, before you cite examples like the Henry Ford birthplace, it would be worth your while to find out how that building got to be where it is today. Who did it, when, and why is a huge part of that story in particular.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I never said anything about moved buildings being "negated," whatever that's supposed to mean.

Yes, you explicitly did when you first commented on my original post suggesting if the owners of Jobs childhood home ever tore it down the garage could be saved & relocated to a computer museum or such.

Your exact words:

At which point it wouldn't be historical at all. Good plan.

"...at all," you said.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Steve Jobs is a historical figure. A modern day innovator that literally changed the world.

That club is very small. This move is a deserved one.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yes, you explicitly did when you first commented on my original post suggesting if the owners of Jobs childhood home ever tore it down the garage could be saved & relocated to a computer museum or such.

Your exact words:

"...at all," you said.

Read what I wrote. All of it. The answer is there, in multiple instances. Your selective reading is not my responsibility.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Just remember you Government Central Planner types, this humble house is where a multi-multi-billion dollar enterprise was born, without any help from you.

Just remember you Government Only Exists To Bail Us Out types, Steve Jobs actually used a small business loan from the government to start his empire, and every technology that makes the iPhone a success (internet, GPS, touchscreen) was invented by government-funded research projects.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
https://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/23/steve-jobs-childhood-home-to-become-historical-site/
The Los Altos home where Steve Jobs first began building computers may be turned into a protected historical site, reports CNN. Located on 2066 Crist Drive in Los Altos, California, the house was first inhabited by Jobs and his family after they moved to the area when he was in seventh grade. In the garage attached to the house, Jobs and Steve Wozniak famously assembled the first Apple 1 computers, nine months before the Apple Computer Co. was formed.

The Los Altos Historical Commission is set to conduct a "historic property evaluation" on Monday, which could see the house preserved indefinitely upon approval.

As a firm believer in separation of church and state, I disagree with this. Government should not be in the business of controlling religious shrines. "Crist Avenue", indeed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.