Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
That "public organizer" has a stellar educational background and a lot more experience in law and politics than an actor:

Let's recap:

- Columbia University BA

- Harvard Law School J.D. magna cum laude 1991

- Elected to the Illinois State Senate 1996 age 35

Let's take a look at Ronald Reagan's career: (especially impressed with "Bedtime for Bonzo")

Actor

Woo-wee, that Reagan was really qualified for President of the United States.

Nixon, Reagan, GWB - all amazing Presidents ;)

Let me be clear - 1 I cannot stand Obama - so take this response with that in mind.

You left one thing out about Reagan - he was the Gov of Calif when that really meant something.

And let me point out in my list I have democrats and republicans on both list - if you cannot see past party then there is a major problem with your thinking - as I saw your list of bad was all Republicans.

Since the turn of the 20th century I would say that the best presidents we have had were

1) Coolidge - shrunk the size of government - balanced the budget - paid off the debt - remove the KKK and other racist from government
2) Eisenhower - great administrator - tried to warn the country about not getting involved in SE Asia and the Milit Industrial Complex.
3) Reagan - brought down the Soviet Union and freed 100's of millions of people living in Eastern Europe with out a war
4) FDR - won WWII - I don't like some of the civil rights issues he had with interment camps, and trying to pack the courts but running the nation and winning WWII was huge
5) Bush SR - people may disagree - but he was the perfect person in place at the right time - keep the collapse of the Soviet Union manageable - very easily could have seen a major war within the Soviet Union at the time
6) Clinton - was very good at working with all sides and getting things like welfare reform done.

The bottom 6
1)Wilson - progressive - supported the changing of the federal government to a parliament - wanted the president to rule by decree, Was a major RACIST - segregated the government, created the FED,created income taxes, had a philosophy that stated the Declaration of independence was not at all important, and limited personal freedom with anti-sedition act and Espionage acts.
2) Hoover - reinstalled all the large central government programs Coolidge did away with - and through his actions caused a recession to turn into a depression
3) Carter - Iran hostage crisis, Mid East Oil Embargo, huge inflation, nice man but was in way over his head
4) Johnson - Vietnam - massive growth of the nanny state
5) Obama - not able to compromise with anyone, NSA, IRS, massive growth of the Federal Government, after 8 years will have doubled the Debit that took 230 years to occur before him, wanted to make the state more important then the individual
6) Nixon - I am not a crook, mistrusted everyone, if he had the technology we have to day would have done what Obama is currently doing with NSA ect

If you haven't noticed - my biggest problem is presidents who LIMIT our FREEDOM.

Tom

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Let me be clear - 1 I cannot stand Obama - so take this response with that in mind.

You left one thing out about Reagan - he was the Gov of Calif when that really meant something.

And let me point out in my list I have democrats and republicans on both list - if you cannot see past party then there is a major problem with your thinking - as I saw your list of bad was all Republicans.

Since the turn of the 20th century I would say that the best presidents we have had were

1) Coolidge - shrunk the size of government - balanced the budget - paid off the debt - remove the KKK and other racist from government
2) Eisenhower - great administrator - tried to warn the country about not getting involved in SE Asia and the Milit Industrial Complex.
3) Reagan - brought down the Soviet Union and freed 100's of millions of people living in Eastern Europe with out a war
4) FDR - won WWII - I don't like some of the civil rights issues he had with interment camps, and trying to pack the courts but running the nation and winning WWII was huge
5) Bush SR - people may disagree - but he was the perfect person in place at the right time - keep the collapse of the Soviet Union manageable - very easily could have seen a major war within the Soviet Union at the time
6) Clinton - was very good at working with all sides and getting things like welfare reform done.

The bottom 6
1)Wilson - progressive - supported the changing of the federal government to a parliament - wanted the president to rule by decree, Was a major RACIST - segregated the government, created the FED,created income taxes, had a philosophy that stated the Declaration of independence was not at all important, and limited personal freedom with anti-sedition act and Espionage acts.
2) Hoover - reinstalled all the large central government programs Coolidge did away with - and through his actions caused a recession to turn into a depression
3) Carter - Iran hostage crisis, Mid East Oil Embargo, huge inflation, nice man but was in way over his head
4) Johnson - Vietnam - massive growth of the nanny state
5) Obama - not able to compromise with anyone, NSA, IRS, massive growth of the Federal Government, after 8 years will have doubled the Debit that took 230 years to occur before him, wanted to make the state more important then the individual
6) Nixon - I am not a crook, mistrusted everyone, if he had the technology we have to day would have done what Obama is currently doing with NSA ect

If you haven't noticed - my biggest problem is presidents who LIMIT our FREEDOM.

Tom

Very good points, especially re: NSA. I'm very disappointed as POTUS Obama campaigned to retract many of the laws enacted through The Patriot Act, not extend them.

However, I do applaud him for fighting for equal rights and repealing DADT, DOMA, improving higher education access to financial aid, this is the first time we have a Patient Bill of Rights, something John McCain and Ted Kennedy tried to work together on in the late 90's as well as the elimination of pre-existing conditions.

Truthfully, I blame both parties for the mess we are in. It is a shame that party politics have forced many to run back to their constituents/states and not staying longer in D.C. many Republican and Democrat Senators and Congressmen did in the mid-20th Century, working together on many issues across the isle. Read "Broken Government" by ex-Nixon legal aid John W. Dean. Dean touches on this very matter and makes a solid point that partisan politics and cable "news" have driven politics into sensationalized media instead of adults working towards a common good.

We all want the same things, we may not agree on how to achieve them, but as elected officials and adult voters, we need to stop the childish antics in Washington and in our homes and actually work together. Otherwise, if we keep fighting, divided, we will be conquered as our eyes will be off the "ball". It's time we all grew up and remembered who the enemy truly is, it's not each other. :)

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
Very good points, especially re: NSA. I'm very disappointed as POTUS Obama campaigned to retract many of the laws enacted through The Patriot Act, not extend them.

However, I do applaud him for fighting for equal rights and repealing DADT, DOMA, improving higher education access to financial aid, this is the first time we have a Patient Bill of Rights, something John McCain and Ted Kennedy tried to work together on in the late 90's as well as the elimination of pre-existing conditions.

Truthfully, I blame both parties for the mess we are in. It is a shame that party politics have forced many to run back to their constituents/states and not staying longer in D.C. many Republican and Democrat Senators and Congressmen did in the mid-20th Century, working together on many issues across the isle. Read "Broken Government" by ex-Nixon legal aid John W. Dean. Dean touches on this very matter and makes a solid point that partisan politics and cable "news" have driven politics into sensationalized media instead of adults working towards a common good.

We all want the same things, we may not agree on how to achieve them, but as elected officials and adult voters, we need to stop the childish antics in Washington and in our homes and actually work together. Otherwise, if we keep fighting, divided, we will be conquered as our eyes will be off the "ball". It's time we all grew up and remembered who the enemy truly is, it's not each other. :)

I agree with the divide - I will use two different time periods in our government that are not too far apart to show the difference ---( I went to college to teach history - but never did get into teaching )

1) In the 1980's you had a conservative president in Reagan and a liberal speaker in Tip O'Neal- These two men opposed each other on most issues but many friday nights Tip would go to the White House and have drinks with Reagan and swap stories between two old men - the disagreed but were not disagreeable.

2) In the 2000's you had a sorta conservative (not in spending) president in Bush and Pelosi as speaker of the house - they were very much political opposites. Can you imagine Pelosi going to the White House to have tea or dinner with Bush on a regular bases - NOPE - they disagreed with each other and were quite disagreeable with each other - destroying the other side was more important.

My son posted a Hitler photo the other day on FB - basically said when Bush was president those that opposed him called him Hitler - and now people who Oppose Obama do the same - and this is the problem we have today in the nation - today the two parties care about 1 thing - power - there are no more then a handful of senators and representatives that care more for the US then for power.

And on the last post - the Federal Government should not be involved in most of those things you listed - it should be each state - like Colorado and the new Drug laws on Pot. Education, Marriage, Speed limits, Abortion ect should all be up to each state to make standards. That way you could have the conservative people in a state Ban Abortion - but in a State with Liberal residents you could have Gay Marriage ect.

I am a fairly conservative person who lives in a very liberal state - they now tax the RAIN where I live - allow illegals to vote in local elections (not federal) just do tons of things I disagree with - but I like the area so I stay, if however I wanted to move some place that did all the things with the local laws that I like I can move there - just like those that like the laws where I live can move here.

Funny - how a comment on Steve Jobs House has turned into a political discussion :>)

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Will the garage have wax figures of Steve and Woz (provided by Madame Tussauds)? Will their half-eaten pizza be wax too?

I doubt you would have seen anything that was half eaten with Woz around :)

----------

The last things the other people on that street want is traffic due to that particular house.

Indeed, I feel sorry for the poor person that lives there now especially after the movie came out...if anyone saw it that it.

----------

Well, my response meant in jest was inappropriate, sincerest apologies mate. (your english is better than many Americans) ;)

I thought American's only spoke American :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Old article. Bernauer Strasse has been "restored" since then to reflect how the Wall and "no mans" land appeared under communist rule. It's terrifying and fascinating, especially if you view it from the top of the museum. Earlier it was in disarray and mostly an empty plot of weeds.

East Side Gallery is less brutal because of the art work, but still heart stopping when you think the longest connected chain of wall is only about 2% of the total.

I consider myself "lucky" to have seen the wall in Berlin twice, but, and this was my original point, if I had only seen a slab of it somewhere else, like the Newseum in DC, I'd have been grateful to at least see that for some historical reference.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Just because you say "not important" doesn't mean you are right. In fact, you are not right.

Yes, it is a California State Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (as well it should be).

A place doesn't even have to have national significance to get on the NRHP. I owned for a little while a house that was on the Register and basically what that meant was that a) we got a little plaque for the outside and b) we couldn't change the exterior without the permission of the local historical commission. There are some legal protections. The house was really of local significance only. You would not know or care about this house if you didn't live in the area.

The NRHP has 90,000 structures on the list and it's not that big a deal.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
A place doesn't even have to have national significance to get on the NRHP. I owned for a little while a house that was on the Register and basically what that meant was that a) we got a little plaque for the outside and b) we couldn't change the exterior without the permission of the local historical commission. There are some legal protections. The house was really of local significance only. You would not know or care about this house if you didn't live in the area.

The NRHP has 90,000 structures on the list and it's not that big a deal.

Holy thread revival, Batman!

Actually, I know. This is part of what I do for a living. We've listed dozens of properties on the National Register, and only two were at a national level of significance. All of the others were at the local significance level. Documenting a property for national significance is a difficult lift, as it is considered to be only half a notch below a National Historic Landmark. The Steve Jobs house would easily be NRHP eligible, and nothing but the national level of significance makes much sense. Not that anyones seems to be interested in preparing the paperwork.

This discussion was not about the NRHP, though. It was about the city placing the Steve Jobs house on their local list of historically significant properties (something below even landmark designation).

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
This discussion was not about the NRHP, though. It was about the city placing the Steve Jobs house on their local list of historically significant properties (something below even landmark designation).

Jeez, around here every third house has one of those. Why would that even be worth a news item>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.