Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppEzzy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
iOS 4 (as well as 3.1 on the iPad) don't just drop a wallpaper behind, there's a large shadow that is drawn bottom to top over the wallpaper, as well as each icon has it's own dropshadow. In addition the wallpaper reflects into the dock.

In addition there are completely new animations for the homescreen.

Jailbroken wallpapers do not do it the same way. Obviously Apple could have just disabled the dropshadow + effects for the 3G but they chose to either enable or disable features that didn't work as intended rather than strip it down.

Exactly! And that's what happens with tech, new features come out on new hardware, if its important to you then you upgrade.

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
This is absolutely, totally, 100% true.

If you jailbreak and enable the wallpapers/multitasking on a 3G, it slows down the entire springboard. Scrolling from page to page becomes jerky and going from an app to the home page also ruins the animation.

I had wallpapers enabled on my 3G, not through Winterboard or another jailbreak app, but the official implementation, and it was so slow that I had to disable it about a week ago.

Mikeosoft

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
this screams out apple creating software tiers for hardware limitations... I mean we see this in almost every other form of electronic device markets... A simple software limitation intentioned by the manufacture to create levels of product to force the end user to spend money on upgrading an otherwise perfectly useful device. This kind of grey-business practice is something which is appauling to me, but kind of expected by me from apple at some point...

It just makes me sad that day has finally arrived...

Goodbye 1st generation Ipod Touch, you have been deemed useless by apple.

Jamie 360

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Boston
I dunno, the new zoom-in / zoom-out animations are pretty smooth on my 3G. I can see how they would want to keep it as slick as it is...a

Which icons are now animated other than the calendar icon (alright, maybe not animated, but you know what I mean) :eek: Are 3rd party app icons now able to be animated? If my Mr. T "iPity" Icon could be animated, I would be really impressed.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Apple cares only about $$$$$$$$$

$$$$$

recent mac mini pricing is another example and this is another bull.

if it is slow i will switch off the wallpaper, i cannot switch off which is not available...

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
iOS 4 (as well as 3.1 on the iPad) don't just drop a wallpaper behind, there's a large shadow that is drawn bottom to top over the wallpaper, as well as each icon has it's own dropshadow. In addition the wallpaper reflects into the dock.

In addition there are completely new animations for the homescreen.

Jailbroken wallpapers do not do it the same way. Obviously Apple could have just disabled the dropshadow + effects for the 3G but they chose to either enable or disable features that didn't work as intended rather than strip it down.

You get out of here with your facts and accurate information! What you said isn't sensationalist at all and most people here won't want anything to do with your legit information!

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Christ not this again.

Steve is right, the collection of wallpaper animations, zoom in and out effects, drop shadows and reflections is simply too muhc for the 3G to run well.

Multitasking lags it less than trying to render these effects.

Get over it, I have. As stated above your phone is no less than it was.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Some of you folks are being ridiculous.

Apple has very high QA standards. Much, much higher than the Cydia folks. I think that's obvious. If it doesn't meet their standards, then it was probably subpar.

Nobody is losing any functionality, and I doubt anybody runs out to buy a new phone just for this one stupid feature, so the whole upsell argument doesn't resonate with me.

Edit:

Goodbye 1st generation Ipod Touch, you have been deemed useless by apple.

Haha, I stand corrected. I guess you're now willing to throw out the device you own because it continues to do the same thing today that it did yesterday? It's so ***** useless now!

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Good News

This is good news for us bottom feeders. You hungry fish can buy up the latest and greatest selling your older 1st Gen, 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen iP devices on eBay or passing them along to family members who will appreciate them. It is fine for Apple to differentiate new products from old with things like this and at the same time it makes the older devices available for those of us who can't spend loads of cash on every new device that comes down the road every year.

Fiddler70

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2010
3GS also slower

My 3GS is also slower with the background enabled. The animation is only just acceptable. I would go back to no background if that was possible. Just to feel the snappiness I had before....

Tried if there is a difference between hires or normal res backgrounds, but there seems none.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Well, now... Given that ON THE WHOLE, the performance of the iPhone 3G after "upgrading" to iOS4 is woefully dragging along at a snail's pace, I would have to say that iOS4, IN GENERAL should not have been deemed as sufficient to "reach the company's standards for performance" -- it CERTAINLY does not meet MY standards.

I wish I could just go back to iPhone OS 3 to get my performance back up to where it belongs.
In effect the only thing I have gained by going to iOS 4 is compatibility with newer apps, but at the expense of a phone that is too painfully slow for me to tolerate for every day use.

In fact, it's SOOOOOO bad, that I can't imagine that Apple did much of any optimizations at all with iPhone 3G in mind. It surely APPEARS that what they did was merely neuter the features at the user-interface level without actually minimizing the underlying OS.

I'll say it again... iOS 4 on an iPhone 3G is a dog!

Apple needs to go back and actually OPTIMIZE the iPhone 3G experience -- there are no appreciable new features for iPhone 3G users, so the performance should be on par with iPhone OS 3.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
In fact, it's SOOOOOO bad, that I can't imagine that Apple did much of any optimizations at all with iPhone 3G in mind. It surely APPEARS that what they did was merely neuter the features at the user-interface level without actually minimizing the underlying OS.

Apple needs to go back and actually OPTIMIZE the iPhone 3G experience -- there are no appreciable new features for iPhone 3G users, so the performance should be on par with iPhone OS 3.

Or they could have just not given 3G owners iOS 4. Do you realize how many Android devices are still on 1.6 due to carriers not upgrading?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
This is good news for us bottom feeders. You hungry fish can buy up the latest and greatest selling your older 1st Gen, 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen iP devices on eBay or passing them along to family members who will appreciate them. It is fine for Apple to differentiate new products from old with things like this and at the same time it makes the older devices available for those of us who can't spend loads of cash on every new device that comes down the road every year.

other than top few well doing countries US, UK, Germany, Aus, Japan, Canada and few other countries people in other countries cannot buy stuff every year, smart phone like iPhone mostly once every three year may be ...

at times apple intentionally screws the hardware also, 2GB RAM in macs are example ...

TrumpetGuy

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
I jailbroke my 3g today just for the wallpaper and I don't think the performance of the icons has changed any. If it has, it's nothing compared to the lag every time I swipe over to spotlight search...but we still got that didn't we?

Jamie 360

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Boston
... A simple software limitation intentioned by the manufacture to create levels of product to force the end user to spend money on upgrading an otherwise perfectly useful device.

I am having flashbacks to my Treo 650 when I dumped a lot of money into 3rd party apps to just get it to perform regular features. I had an app to raise the volume, one to personalize ringtones and sms tones, and even one to create your own wallpaper/themes. I've heard that iToner isn't working properly on 4.0 either yet. :mad: I feel like all I'll gain from this upgrade is shorter battery life due to apps running that I don't even realize they are, or need them to be. NOT on the multi-tasking bandwagon.

darrenbeige

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010

Apple focus on the current-gen models in the .0 releases. The .1 updates always improve performance on the older-gen models.

They must have taken some stuff out though; the 3G iOS4 image is 100mb smaller than the 3GS's.

FFArchitect

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
We are talking about WALLPAPERS, right? Is there anything else more substantive to discuss about ANYTHING?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Why does he care about the performance of the 3G? Doesn't he want everyone to upgrade to the iPhone 4?

What he doesn't want is prospective customers saying "Hey, is that an iPhone? Can I see that?" and then getting what amounts to a tech demo of a product with poor performance. Having no other basis for comparison, it may influence their future decision to buy an iPhone.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
... Your device does no less now than it did the day you got it.

Actually it does MUCH less, irrespective of wallpapers -- the iPhone 3G on iOS 4 is excruciatingly slow compared to iPhone 3G on iPhone OS 3. So on the whole it is doing MUCH LESS per second, minute, hour, day...

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
A simple software limitation intentioned by the manufacture to create levels of product to force the end user to spend money on upgrading an otherwise perfectly useful device.

Let me just list my replies to your nonsensical comment:
  • This just shows that YOU have no self control.
  • Your devices performs the EXACT SAME TASKS as it did WHEN YOU PURCHASED IT.
  • Your device does NO LESS than it did when you purchased it.
  • Any feeling of being forced to upgrade to a new device is your own!
  • Apple isn't taking features away from you, they are just not giving you any new ones.

Grow up.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
What BS! This is an obvious move by Steve Jobs to get people to upgrade to the iPhone 4 from the 3G. I mean, it's not the HD video recording or the retina-display or the forward facing camera that's going to get people to make the switch...it's the fact that their old 3G can't put wallpaper on the screens!

Some of you guys are conspiratorial wackos.

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I'm seriously not understanding why so many people are having performance issues with the 3g and iOS4. I'm not doubting you guys, but seriously, I've had 4.0 on my 3g since the GM was released and it's running probably 25% FASTER than 3.0 did.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
Apple really has no incentive to support legacy products. Just like snow leopard doesn't support and power pc architectures, but guess what, they supported power pcs up until leopard. LEOPARD, people! Sure performance varied among cpu speeds, but they put that support in there.

Now the differences between iphone 3G and 3GS are similar, and apple really had no reason to support iphone 3G, but they put it in. The same people complaining about wallpaper support and sluggishness will probably complain had apple decided to screw all the 3G owners out there by not supporting it at all.

Now at no point does apple hold a gun to any 3G owners heads telling you all to buy new hardware....despite it being a 2 year old product and despite most of the people on the 3G hardware are eligible for upgrades on ATT.

That is the nature of all cell phones.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Read the comment thread here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/review...able.ars?comments=1&start=40#comment-20535549

Apple adds drop shadows to all icons to make them look good when appearing over custom wallpapers. Rendering all of those drop shadows apparently makes the 3G stutter.

Yup. Saw that yesterday, and feel it is actually a pretty good reason. I feel the slowness of my 3G every day now, so I'm actually glad they didn't put it in, though I suppose adding it as an option wouldn't have hurt. Can't wait for my iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.