Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Actually it does MUCH less, irrespective of wallpapers -- the iPhone 3G on iOS 4 is excruciatingly slow compared to iPhone 3G on iPhone OS 3. So on the whole it is doing MUCH LESS per second, minute, hour, day...

Then you shouldn't have upgraded. We have computers here at work that can't handle Windows 7, so we are leaving them out of the upgrade process. You decided to upgrade.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Well, now... Given that ON THE WHOLE, the performance of the iPhone 3G after "upgrading" to iOS4 is woefully dragging along at a snail's pace, I would have to say that iOS4, IN GENERAL should not have been deemed as sufficient to "reach the company's standards for performance" -- it CERTAINLY does not meet MY standards.

I'm sorry to hear this: for me, the performance of iPhone 3G under iOS4 does not appear to have suffered significantly, and it sounds like a number of people have had the same experience as me.

It's true that for the first ten minutes or so after I upgraded, things did seem to go rather slowly. But since then, I would say common tasks (flipping through home screen pages, typing, etc.) are at least as fast, if not faster, than they were under iOS 3. Graphic transitions (when closing programs, for example) seem smoother than before. The only thing that does seem a tad slow so far for me is loading pages on iBooks, particularly ones that have images on them. But in my informal testing, I was going through pages a lot more quickly than I would in real life if I was actually reading them.

Unless there is something (caching, etc.) that would eventually slow down the phone for some reason, I think iOS 4 would be very usable on iPhone 3G. I am getting iPhone 4 on Thursday, but will be recommending to my wife that she upgrade to iOS 3. She has much fewer apps and does a lot less on the phone than I do, so it would go to reason that she should also not have a noticeable performance hit.

Specifically about the background images: I think the look of the home screens is actually better than under iOS 3 (with the change to the dock in particular) even without the background images, so I don't think it's a problem not being able to use custom backgrounds -- especially given Steve Jobs' assertion (along with those of a number of people who tried this feature with jailbroken phones) that it would slow things down. I would definitely be frustrated if the OS were sluggish, so I am glad they didn't add this if that would have been the price.

I would be the first to complain if iOS 4 were slow on my 3G, but fortunately it's not for me at least.

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
Well, now... Given that ON THE WHOLE, the performance of the iPhone 3G after "upgrading" to iOS4 is woefully dragging along at a snail's pace, I would have to say that iOS4, IN GENERAL should not have been deemed as sufficient to "reach the company's standards for performance" -- it CERTAINLY does not meet MY standards.

I wish I could just go back to iPhone OS 3 to get my performance back up to where it belongs.
In effect the only thing I have gained by going to iOS 4 is compatibility with newer apps, but at the expense of a phone that is too painfully slow for me to tolerate for every day use.
My 3G is quite snappy after the update. No stuttering animations, even the spellchecker seems quicker.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
to all you whiners out there...

good god people. so maybe youre right maybe youre not. maybe apple has it out for everyone and is lying through their teeth about why they do or dont do something. IF you think that, and truely believe it, then youre the dumba$$e$, not apple. why?!

easy. stop buying apple's "crap" until they put something out that has everything you want on it or need it to do!!! this idea that you will buy something from someone and ASSUME that whatever it lacks or does poorly at will eventually be "fixed" is immature.

i'm still running an original iPhone edge because i desperately needed a new phone at the time, and the iPhone was the best choice. however, i knew then there were things it "failed" at. i made the decision though that a new phone was more important than all the things i needed. with the release of the iphone 3g and the 3gs, ive not bought them because they "failed" at providing me what i thought wouldve been a worthwhile purchase. my edge still worked and they still didnt have everything i needed.

is apple good at keeping things up to date and adding features to already released hardware and software...yes. should you ever expect it? NO!!

again, if it bothers you that much, then quit buy apple and quit support what you think to be poor business practices by giving them anymore of your money. take your money somewhere else to someone who will do a better job of giving you what you want. learn to be better, more responsible shoppers, and get away from this attitude of entitlement. despite what you like to think, you do have a choice, a lot like voting. vote with your wallets for crying out loud.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Does not meet his standards ........ha. erm then why did you release the ios4 update for the 3G? The performance is pathetic Steve.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I would get all up in arms that my 3G can't display custom backgrounds but starting tomorrow I wont be using it anymore...

I also am not installing 4.0 because I want the entire experience to be new once I get my iPhone 4 tomorrow.

silvs

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
This is pretty funny with all the "vote down" business. Frankly my iPhone 3GS performance has tanked with a background image, and I would love to go back to the default of just black.

Anyone who thinks Steve is just trying to sell newer phones should actually do some research before calling him a liar.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Well on my Original iPhone who died several months ago, I could have it jailbroken, an have backrounder for multitasking, MMS to send photos, Video recording (was great in light, but was terrible in lower light locations) I had themes or I could stick with the default Apple springboard with a background. Being honest, multitasking was great. The phone took so log to open up iPod, Safari and messages, so I enabled them to run in the background, and they opened the millisecond I tapped on their icons.

Even with a background and backrounder for multitasking, tr battery still lasted a day and a half, and the animation wasn't anymore laggy as it had already need on stock firmware.

Apple should give 3G users things like BT keyboard and wallpaper. Fine with me, do add shadows to icons, but if I can get all the features from a 3GS on an Original iPhone, the hardware I capable enough.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Why does he care about the performance of the 3G? Doesn't he want everyone to upgrade to the iPhone 4?

Because people aren't smart enough to know better.

3G customer updates their iPhone to iOS4 yesterday and it somehow includes multitasking and custom backgrounds. The phone doesn't perform as smoothly as it should. Customer then calls customer service complaining the OS update "broke their phone" or "screwed it up". Customer then tells friends and family the iPhone isn't that good. Don't buy one, etc, etc.

See how something like this could bite Apple in the ass? You've got to think through the steps that can occur to understand these things.

Also, anyone who has a two year old phone and think they should get all the latest features is fooling themselves. You should be happy they're even updating your phone at all 2 years later. They don't owe you anything at that point.

sschwar4

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Chandler, AZ
While I was upgrading to iOS4 i knocked the cable out of my iPhone 3G. I swear I saw standard homescreen with only the Apple Apps, and the raindrops background for a split second.

When the restore finalized I got the same BS black as everybody.

You didn't imagine it. It was there.

darrenbeige

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Does not meet his standards ........ha. erm then why did you release the ios4 update for the 3G? The performance is pathetic Steve.

It's not bad here. But yes, just wait for .1 release that will inevitably drop in a couple of weeks.

But, seriously, your not really telling me you wouldn't be whining more if they had just not upgraded your phone at all?

Oh and guys, try doing a hard reset. I just did that to a friends who was having trouble and it's A LOT better now. Just hold home and the lock button.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
As others have said, Steve is 100% right that in iOS4's current state, it is MUCH slower than it should be, and I even disabled it the next day because of it. But that's not to say there can't be any optimizations to make it work better..

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
For those arguing that jailbreaking their iphone 3G before iOS 4 allowed them to have wallpapers on their homescreen just fine, fail to factor in that iOS 4 does more than previous iterations of iOS and there are things going on in the background that can't be perceived.

everyone claiming Apple is trying to slow down the performance of a 2 year old cellphone just so people can buy new phones is ridiculous. I'd like to see any 2 yr old android or any other phone still be supported with the latest software updates if at all.

The bad thing is that its what Apple is known for to sell you their new product. Apple has done this for quite a while now.

its seen in Classic OS and in OS X, Macs or other Apple hardware or software.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Looks like they updated their site to reflect that also.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-08 at 6.23.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-08 at 6.23.32 PM.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 267
  • Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 9.53.27 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 9.53.27 AM.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 254

proglife

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
Annapolis, MD
*like*

good move. the wallpapers all look like crap anyways. having iphone wallpaper will be the equivalent of having a hotmail account or a geocities page

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
As others have said, Steve is 100% right that in iOS4's current state, it is MUCH slower than it should be, and I even disabled it the next day because of it. But that's not to say there can't be any optimizations to make it work better..

You can only optimize software so much when the limitation is hardware based.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
this screams out apple creating software tiers for hardware limitations... I mean we see this in almost every other form of electronic device markets... A simple software limitation intentioned by the manufacture to create levels of product to force the end user to spend money on upgrading an otherwise perfectly useful device. This kind of grey-business practice is something which is appauling to me, but kind of expected by me from apple at some point...

It just makes me sad that day has finally arrived...

Goodbye 1st generation Ipod Touch, you have been deemed useless by apple.

you can't be serious. what features or capabilities did apple strip from your device by the release of iOS 4?! is it not the same device you chose to purchase?! i would imagine it probably has even received several updates since you bought it that improve its features or performance? maybe not.

at the very least, it is still the same device you thought was worth buying at the time. so how is it all the sudden useless?

dont be such a 2 yr old and so dramatic. be a big boy and own up to your decisions. apple didn't force you to buy the first one and they certainly arent forcing you to buy something else to replace it.

good grief people. this is a sad commentary on the state of our consumerism

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts

I'm saying that with my Original iPhone jailbroken, I could do everything that my iPhone 3GS could do. The original iPhone was on 3.1.2, and it was already very slow. I jailbroke it, and it didn't get any slower, intact the app that I ran in the background were faster to launch web I tapped on their icon. But that's because they were still running.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
I'm seriously not understanding why so many people are having performance issues with the 3g and iOS4. I'm not doubting you guys, but seriously, I've had 4.0 on my 3g since the GM was released and it's running probably 25% FASTER than 3.0 did.

The conspiracy theorists might infer from your data point that Apple deliberately slowed down the final version of iOS 4 on iPhone 3G, just to force us to upgrade -- which I would do if I could do so at a subsidized/discounted price.

Wow! Guess I'll have to join the developer program so I can go back to the beta iOS 4 that runs 25% faster! ;-)

I'll stop whining about it if Apple sends me the iPhone 4 for free or at least pays me the subsidy delta. ;-)

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
For anyone who has jailbroken their phone (4.0) for JUST wallpapers (I turned off multi-tasking) he's 100% right.

Go ahead and try it. Your phone is much, much slower with a wallpaper enabled.

Everyone bitches about how "slow their 3g is" yet they want something that will make it slower. :rolleyes:

Of course, they could have found a way to make it more efficient if they really wanted to...

Yep. Steve is right. Sure they could have simplified the animation, but as it stands right now, it DOES perform too poorly for mainstream.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
you can't be serious. what features or capabilities did apple strip from your device by the release of iOS 4?! is it not the same device you chose to purchase?! i would imagine it probably has even received several updates since you bought it that improve its features or performance? maybe not.

at the very least, it is still the same device you thought was worth buying at the time. so how is it all the sudden useless?

dont be such a 2 yr old and so dramatic. be a big boy and own up to your decisions. apple didn't force you to buy the first one and they certainly arent forcing you to buy something else to replace it.

good grief people. this is a sad commentary on the state of our consumerism

+10000

This is the entitlement mentality of people today. As a 22 year old, I am not looking forward to seeing how much more entitled people will become as I get older.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
it is always about up sell

8GB iPhone 3GS - $499 - contract less price
16GB iPhone 4 - $599 - contract less price

with $100 they saved all the difference in hardware? it is always about up sell...

people who are calling others stupid, apple cares about their bottom you are care about your bottom $$$

btw, i ordered iPhone 4 also then again i see what is the truth...

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
The bad thing is that its what Apple is known for to sell you their new product. Apple has done this for quite a while now.

its seen in Classic OS and in OS X, Macs or other Apple hardware or software.

Apple doesn't FORCE anyone to go out and buy operating systems. They also don't stop supporting you if you don't. Security updates and performance updates still show for your operating system whether you have the latest OS or not.

iOS was that much sweeter for being free for all iOS devices across the board.

Now weather that was intentional so that they can feel everyone iAds can be debatable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.