Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
You can JB your phone to enable custom wallpapers and see it yourself. I did not notice any slow down from enabling multitasking yet, but custom wallpapers indeed make home screen very unresponsive, I had to redo jailbreak to remove custom wallpapers option.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
hard to believe

That's exactly why most of us here are just consumers and Steve Jobs is a billionaire.

and probably another 15 or so guys are billionaire in the apple, but people act like apple really cares about us! we love their product we buy them, sometimes we are happy and sometimes we do not ...

it is hard to believe it is really technical limitation because we have seen so many up sell

combo drive to super drive
no graphics display in low end iMac - always
$ 100 difference between 3GS vs iP 4
$ 100 difference between 3G vs 3GS - 2008
and so on -
you can name so many things ...

if APPLE are always worried about up sell - it is tough to believe them any more when they say it is because of technical limitation ...

Mister Thomas

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Hate to be Debbie Downer ...

MacRumors really needs to invest in some people who know how to write. Some of these posts are so horribly written. After all, the first sentence in this story is a fragment.

Remember the four S's to good writing:

Short words
Short sentences
Short paragraphs
Short stories

That's all.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
As somebody who has jailbroken their iPhone 3G and played around with it with wallpapers disabled then enabled, I can confirm that the animation feels more sluggish with wallpapers enabled. He's not ********ting you.

Do you guys honestly believe this is a tactic to get people to upgrade? If you believe that you must believe that people are willing to shell out hundreds of pounds/dollars/whatever, just to get wallpapers that they never had before anyway. :rolleyes:

I was about to say exactly the same thing. Although I use a 2G currently, the experience is somewhat similar. I have always disabled wallpapers very soon after enabling them since the home screen feels more sluggish.

Can't wait to get the sweet new 4!

darrenbeige

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
and probably another 15 or so guys are billionaire in the apple, but people act like apple really cares about us! we love their product we buy them, sometimes we are happy and sometimes we do not ...

it is hard to believe it is really technical limitation because we have seen so many up sell

combo drive to super drive
no graphics display in low end iMac - always
$ 100 difference between 3GS vs iP 4
$ 100 difference between 3G vs 3GS - 2008
and so on -
you can name so many things ...

if APPLE are always worried about up sell - it is tough to believe them any more when they say it is because of technical limitation ...

Sorry for being naive, but how is a $100 difference between the 3GS and iP4 an upsell?

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
In fact, it's SOOOOOO bad, that I can't imagine that Apple did much of any optimizations at all with iPhone 3G in mind. It surely APPEARS that what they did was merely neuter the features at the user-interface level without actually minimizing the underlying OS.

I'll say it again... iOS 4 on an iPhone 3G is a dog!

Apple needs to go back and actually OPTIMIZE the iPhone 3G experience -- there are no appreciable new features for iPhone 3G users, so the performance should be on par with iPhone OS 3.

Are you using the same OS 4 I am? I can't tell much of a difference, and, if there is a difference, OS 4 seems quicker on my 3G.

Of course, it doesn't matter much to me, since I'll only be using OS 4 on 3G for two days... :cool:

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Wall Paper and less...

I attempted to change my ‘wallpaper’ on my ‘3G’ and discovered that I can hardly use any photos at all. The 4.0 has made my iPhone soOoo unbelievably slow that I may be FORCED to buy the new model iPhone 4. BTW: My 16GB iPhone is ONLY 1/3rd full.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
Technical limitations? Put down the kool aid. We've had custom wallpaper on our JB phones for years now without any performance hit to speak of. Get a clue.

ummm, you get a clue. the differences between the JB method and Apple's have already been clearly laid out

darrenbeige

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
On a sidenote, is anyone having any toruble with WiFi location on the new update?

On OS3, Skyhook (or whatever it uses now) identified me very precisely at home. On iOS4, everytime I try it says "Your location can not be determined."

Weird.

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
I attempted to change my ‘wallpaper’ on my ‘3G’ and discovered that I can hardly use any photos at all. The 4.0 has made my iPhone soOoo unbelievably slow that I may be FORCED to buy the new model iPhone 4. BTW: My 16GB iPhone is ONLY 1/3rd full.

Reboot your phone.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Technical limitations? Put down the kool aid. We've had custom wallpaper on our JB phones for years now without any performance hit to speak of. Get a clue.

You get a clue, it is more than throwing a wallpaper on there. It involves drop shadows and other effects. Read up on it a bit first.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
The way I see it, each model gets 2 full featured instalments of iOS and then one with less Features.

You can decide whether you want to upgrade the hardware or not.

iPhone: iOS 1, iOS 2 and iOS3 minus A2DP, MMS (even though jailbroken it could do MMS already) and GPS
iPhone 3G: iOS 2, iOS 3 (didn't have video) and iOS4 minus multitasking and background images (even though jailbroken it can do these in different ways)
iPhone 3GS: iOS 3, iOS 4 (without Facetime) and iOS 5 minus whatever apple chooses to put in as it's 'killer features'.
iPhone 4: iOS 4, iOS 5 and much less capable in iOS 6

This is much better than, say Samsung, who released the i7500 as a premium phone, not long after Android 2.0 came out and they never gave any customer care. Apple annoyed me with iOS 3 and the lack of A2DP on the iPhone which I thought was just a software limitation (and still do) but the bottom line is this:

You get a phone that does it's job really well with the first firmware. Brilliantly on the next (with a couple of forgivable limitations related to hardware) and well on the last update. Apple doesn't forget about you the second you walk out with one of their phones.

kdarling

macrumors P6
RAM. iPhone 3G does not have enough of it. After the OS is loaded, apps get ~20MB of RAM to work with. The feature may seam trivial, but the data would always need to be in memory and could cut the available resources for apps by 15% or more.

Could be. Today's (mobile) OS's use up so much RAM.

GPU. It is not adept at transparencies. Even if you sacrifice the RAM, the performance would make switching pages in the launcher look like an older Android.

Too bad. A lot of people make much of using the GPU.

I'm starting to like the live wallpapers on the Sense UI. They're worth the occasional few milliseconds of stutter to me, but then I'm not OCD.

Frankly the harm caused by including the feature far out-weighs any benefit.

That should be up to me to decide. If I like it, I should be able to turn it on.

BTW - I wish people would stop complaining that a flagship device from 2010 has more features then one from 2008.

Since other devices have had backgrounds for far longer than that, it's a valid topic.

bahooki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
ummm, you get a clue. the differences between the JB method and Apple's have already been clearly laid out

Yeah, turn off the new shading and shadows. Real hard. You telling me Apple couldn't have simply turned those off in the older versions of phones/Touches? Get a clue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.