Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
They aren't missing much, I find the screen a lot harder to read andd switched to the darkest wallpaper I could. Can't find an option for a plain black screen anywhere yet.

I put the phone on a table and took a picture of nothing, then used that. I wish it had a 'no background' button because unless it's smart enough to figure out my black background is really black, then it's probably rendering invisible shadows on the icons I don't need and slowing the phone down. Backgrounds under the icons was ugly, not providing a black background was stupid, not providing a no-background option was ridiculous.

Waiting for 4.1. :D

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Before jumping on the 'Gah! BS!!1' bandwagon here, I'm curious about something: how did previous backgrounds work out with the text effects? It is possible that changes made to text in the new OS could have resulted in this outcome. I've always jailbroken my devices, but I never bothered with backgrounds on my 3G.

That, and I don't have much reason to disbelieve this. The alternative is, to some degree, believing that some Apple executive [imagine sinister undertones] muttered: "Bwe-he-he, deny them backgrounds—it will make them want the iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS enough to go out and get another!"

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
You can just find an image of all black on Google, save it to your camera roll, and set it as your home screen wallpaper.

Or you could just cover the iPhone camera and take a picture. Voila. Black image on your camera roll.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Dude, from a mere YouTube video one can see how much faster a 3GS is than a 3G. The first gen iPhone does not even come in to play.
Good for you that you got your stuff working, but don't put it on par with the newer generations, because you're simply kidding yourself.

And I've seen it firsthand, jailbreaking and turning on wallpaper makes my 3G noticeably slower. So much so that I could care less about a wallpaper if that is the tradeoff. If it is indeed true that there are all sorts of reflections and shadows going on with Apple's implementation of a wallpaper, than yes, it will be to heavy for a 3G.
This in itself explains why Bosspaper never showed this kind of slowdown: Bosspaper doesn't show any special effects.

Plainly: I don't understand why so many people always need to scream murder and fire over stuff like this. First do your research, and then you can draw your conclusions -_-

What tryin to say is that web my original iPhone was jailbroken, it wasn't much slower than what it wa on stock firmware.

I'm also trying to say that if I enable bakeounder on my original iPhone an background an app like messages, it launches messages faster than my 3GS. But that's because the 3GS was in iOS 3.1.3 and didn't has multitasking.
In short the Original iPhone can relaunch an app that was need quitter faster than a 3GS launching an app from scratch.

Yes the 3GS is faster than the 3G and Original iPhone, but I'm noting apps like settings an iPod are taking longer to open, but once you hit the home button, they go into fast app swiching so it's quicker.

When my Original Ophir was on 3.1.3 an jailbroken it has backrounding (multitasking), MMS, video recording, and wallpaper on the home screen, and it didn't lag as much as my brothers iPhone 3G on thr stock not jaimbroken iOS 4.0

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
So many ignorant people here. Have you ever jailbroke your iPhone? Well I have! And it runs like crap on my 3GS! So maybe actually do some research before you start coming up with conspiracy theories.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Before jumping on the 'Gah! BS!!1' bandwagon here, I'm curious about something: how did previous backgrounds work out with the text effects? It is possible that changes made to text in the new OS could have resulted in this outcome. I've always jailbroken my devices, but I never bothered with backgrounds on my 3G.

Before, if you had a lot of white in your wallpaper, your icons and text would simply blend in and disappear. It was awful. You basically had to make sure that your wallpaper was primarily a dark color if you wanted to see or read what was on your home screen. The new "ClearType" effect on the text is a very welcome change.

Nem Wan

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
The new iPhone has a higher resolution screen and that would help the icons and their labels be better defined against a random background. It's higher quality and Apple is simply declining to offer a down-rezed version of that experience for older phones. They could have offered custom backgrounds originally and if the screen you're holding hasn't changed why would Apple change how they think it should work now?

bahooki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Are you new to this world? How old are you? Read about the technical limitations first why don't you.

Technical limitations? Put down the kool aid. We've had custom wallpaper on our JB phones for years now without any performance hit to speak of. Get a clue.

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
I jailbroke my iPod Touch 2G, and I pretty much only used it for two reasons. Backgrounding and wallpapers. That's it! Nothing else crazy, no additional things like lock screen hacks or whatever. I also had the NES application on there, but nothing else from Cydia.

Even without running apps in the background, there would be times when the iPod would stutter or not even display the animation when going from an app to the home screen when pressing the home button.

I can see the point... but now I have a iPod Touch 3G so whatevs!

bahooki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
So many ignorant people here. Have you ever jailbroke your iPhone? Well I have! And it runs like crap on my 3GS! So maybe actually do some research before you start coming up with conspiracy theories.

Speaking of ignorant, do a quick search on which tiny little file you need to edit to make it not run like crap. It's not hard.

mykoljay

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Am I the only 3g owner who has found iOS 4 much, much quicker than the last firmware. I was starting to get really frustrated with the the lag in the 3.x. It seems to be completely resolved. I did restore the phone from scratch so that may have helped as well. Perhaps you all should try the same.

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
It didn't take long...

It didn't take long for the bitching about freakin wallpapers to populate this thread...

For those saying Jobs just want you to buy the new iPhone... Of course he does. Duh? Hello?! He's also a businessman and he runs a businessman. If you're running Apple or any business for that matter of course you want consumers to buy your new stuff.

For those saying Apple is about $$$.. Of course they are. Duh? Hello?! Who goes into business and not think about making $?

Like it or not it's all business in the end. That's exactly why most of us here are just consumers and Steve Jobs is a billionaire. If he thought like a consumer without regards to business then Apple would be bankrupt by now.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Read the comment thread here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/review...able.ars?comments=1&start=40#comment-20535549

Apple adds drop shadows to all icons to make them look good when appearing over custom wallpapers. Rendering all of those drop shadows apparently makes the 3G stutter.

This is actually a valid reason. IIRC, the drop shadow effect is rendered via OpenGL ES 2.0, and this is only supported by the PowerVR SGX chip, which is only in the 3GS and the latest gen iPod Touches. It has nothing to do with displaying the image (the wallpaper) itself, it's the drop shadow effect that the icons have on top of the wallpaper. Apple could have probably just left off the drop shadow on older devices, but then people would be bitching because the 3GS and newer models "looked better" than the older models.

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
I'm sure there's a bit of truth in what Jobs is saying but Apple could have at least coded it both ways and left it off by default and let users turn it on. Of course "mother knows best" so we don't get the option.

I'm on a 3GS and would have liked to see it both ways but that's not an option now. You're not exactly running a game in the background here. It would be interesting to hear from any game developers on how taxing this would be but seeing some of the games on the app store run on the original iPhone, I gotta call partial BS.

dcmartinpc

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Am I the only 3g owner who has found iOS 4 much, much quicker than the last firmware. I was starting to get really frustrated with the the lag in the 3.x. It seems to be completely resolved. I did restore the phone from scratch so that may have helped as well. Perhaps you all should try the same.

I completely agree... Mine has been monumentally faster... I wiped my phone and performed a complete reset. Then restored my phone and it worked perfectly. Much faster and I am very happy, even without backgrounds!

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!

it feels fast for me as well...

iPhone 3G going to be hands me down product or sold second hand and iOS 4.0 probably the last update apple going to provide (like 2G this year).

my bet lot care about background image than unified inbox, that is my take.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
The iOS releases remind me of the Microsoft OS releases.
iOS 1 -> Windows 2000
iOS 2 -> Windows XP
iOS 3 -> Vista
iOS 4 -> Windows 7
Each become bigger and better and required more hardware to support. Some features not available on older platform. Putting the new software on older hardware, just did not perform. The same holds true for the iPhone OS.

Have pre-ordered 4, but still don't know when AT&T will ship. I am certain it will be outdated, at least a year before the end of the contract and won't be able to run the new features of iOS 5.

can't say the same. i STILL have an original iphone. i've used every iOS from 1 through 3. they all gave me an increase in performance as well as additional features.

that said, i'm still not buying an iPhone 4, because i'm looking down the road and see that in about a years time it too will be outdated as it only has 16 and 32 gig of storage and it does not appear to be 4g data capable

darrenbeige

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Well on my Original iPhone who died several months ago, I could have it jailbroken, an have backrounder for multitasking, MMS to send photos, Video recording (was great in light, but was terrible in lower light locations) I had themes or I could stick with the default Apple springboard with a background. Being honest, multitasking was great. The phone took so log to open up iPod, Safari and messages, so I enabled them to run in the background, and they opened the millisecond I tapped on their icons.

Even with a background and backrounder for multitasking, tr battery still lasted a day and a half, and the animation wasn't anymore laggy as it had already need on stock firmware.

Apple should give 3G users things like BT keyboard and wallpaper. Fine with me, do add shadows to icons, but if I can get all the features from a 3GS on an Original iPhone, the hardware I capable enough.

The BT keyboard is a technical hardware restriction - the older BT antennae can't do it - it's not a limit of software.

I'm not going to bother talking about the other stuff.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Apple implementation is eye candy, drops shadow on many icons and text slow down a little phone. So it is natural it doens't run on 3G, Cidya implementation is a simple image under the icons.

mike...

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
I'll be the first to call BS

another trick from apple to upsell :cool:

vote negative please

Disgusting.

How stupid does he think we are?

But yeah, c'mon. really? The complex wallpaper and skin designs on winterboard run fine on the 3G. No way a jpeg in the background would strain the hardware. I bet it's just another "incentive" Apple is providing for 3G users to switch to iPhone 4.

This is all bull, this is due to the fact apple know most people with an iPhone 3g will be ready for upgrading so its all about the money.

As somebody who has jailbroken their iPhone 3G and played around with it with wallpapers disabled then enabled, I can confirm that the animation feels more sluggish with wallpapers enabled. He's not ********ting you.

Do you guys honestly believe this is a tactic to get people to upgrade? If you believe that you must believe that people are willing to shell out hundreds of pounds/dollars/whatever, just to get wallpapers that they never had before anyway. :rolleyes:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Regardless of whether the older devices can handle it or not (I think it sounds ridiculous the thing can run 3D games but can't do some simple animation over a static image, but hey-ho... ) Apple are silly over things like this, when if they gave users the option, and we found we agreed with Apple that it was better without a background image there would be far less anger and stuff. Why not just bury options like these in an advanced menu and let people decide for themselves?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
There is no conspiracy!

RAM. iPhone 3G does not have enough of it. After the OS is loaded, apps get ~20MB of RAM to work with. The feature may seam trivial, but the data would always need to be in memory and could cut the available resources for apps by 15% or more.
GPU. It is not adept at transparencies. Even if you sacrifice the RAM, the performance would make switching pages in the launcher look like an older Android.
Frankly the harm caused by including the feature far out-weighs any benefit.

Why not just bury options like these in an advanced menu and let people decide for themselves?

Yes, Apple holds your hand on the iOS devices. If you allowed the option for every performance sapping feature, people would turn them on and blame Apple when the performance sucks and apps crash from lack of resources. And they should blame Apple. If a device can not adequately run a feature, it should not be an option.

BTW - I wish people would stop complaining that a flagship device from 2010 has more features then one from 2008.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.