Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
How is that spam? It's the actual video... :confused:

My mistake. I clicked the link on my iPad, and there was no video (is Flash required??), so I clicked on the link to "Download this video!" and I was asked for a username and password or to set up an account, after which I was taken to a screen to "complete offers to reach 100 credits."

So, you can see how that appears to be spam, right? Try clicking on the link to download this video and see what you have to buy in order to do so. Perhaps this qualifies as pseudospam.....

A truly NON SPAM link to the video would have been a link to a file on a cloud drive which simply allowed you download the video to your computer WITHOUT having to set up an account or enter your e-mail. However, you are right in that I can now watch it on my MacBook Air (not my iPad or Apple TV, however), and I am not able to save the movie unless I reach 100 credits after buying a bunch of crap.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
My mistake. I clicked the link on my iPad, and there was no video (is Flash required??), so I clicked on the link to "Download this video!" and I was asked for a username and password or to set up an account, after which I was taken to a screen to "complete offers to reach 100 credits."

So, you can see how that appears to be spam, right? Try clicking on the link to download this video and see what you have to buy in order to do so. Perhaps this qualifies as pseudospam.....

A truly NON SPAM link to the video would have been a link to a file on a cloud drive which simply allowed you download the video to your computer WITHOUT having to set up an account or enter your e-mail. However, you are right in that I can now watch it on my MacBook Air (not my iPad or Apple TV, however), and I am not able to save the movie unless I reach 100 credits after buying a bunch of crap.

Ok, I understand now. Basically, you were trying to view the link on your iPad and therefore the flash video didn't show up. Instead, you saw the download this video link, which is basically just an ad, so you thought I was spamming.

It's a simple misunderstanding, no problem.

But I do take issue with your remark about the link not being a truly 'NON SPAM' link. I think you need to go back and read my original post. I never said that it was a link for you to download the interview, I just said it was a link to watch the interview. It's not my fault that the site contains random ads and doesn't allow you to download.

Last edited:

neeklamy

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
I clicked on the link to "Download this video!" and I was asked for a username and password or to set up an account, after which I was taken to a screen to "complete offers to reach 100 credits."

1. In Safari or Google Chrome, go to the video page
  2. Right click anywhere on the page > Inspect Element
  3. Select the Network tab (you can clear requests from the bottom toolbar, it's the button with the crossed out circle)
  4. Start playing the video
  5. The video file, nnfa763d3df4ed056567ff78c615442128.flv will appear in the list, right click and copy the link
  6. Paste the link into the address bar, hit enter and your browser should start downloading it

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
  1. In Safari or Google Chrome, go to the video page
  2. Right click anywhere on the page > Inspect Element
  3. Select the Network tab (you can clear requests from the bottom toolbar, it's the button with the crossed out circle)
  4. Start playing the video
  5. The video file, nnfa763d3df4ed056567ff78c615442128.flv will appear in the list, right click and copy the link
  6. Paste the link into the address bar, hit enter and your browser should start downloading it

AWESOME! You are truly a power user!! I just followed your instructions, and it's working flawlessly! I am not worthy....
By the way, can you give me one more step about the best way to convert this .flv file to a .mp4 or .mov file? It's downloading right now, but I'm not sure if a .flv file is playable within iTunes. Furthermore, since I'm pretty sure .flv is Flash, I don't think it will play on my iPad, Apple TV or iPhone. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• were-not-worthy.jpeg
    were-not-worthy.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Ok, I understand now. Basically, you were trying to view the link on your iPad and therefore the flash video didn't show up. Instead, you saw the download this video link, which is basically just an ad, so you thought I was spamming.

It's a simple misunderstanding, no problem.

But I do take issue with your remark about the link not being a truly 'NON SPAM' link. I think you need to go back and read my original post. I never said that it was a link for you to download the interview, I just said it was a link to watch the interview. It's not my fault that the site contains random ads and doesn't allow you to download.

Fair enough. Meanwhile, I just followed neeklamy's directions (I recommend you do the same) and I downloaded the movie to my computer, so now all is good. Please disregard any earlier comments I made about SPAM. It was my own dumb fault for actually setting up an account at Now Video in the first place. I should have known better....

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
How about just sharing it with the world instead of using it as bait to lure more money out of fans? I know Apple is a company just like any and needs to make money but this is just silly. As a few already said - give us a torrent.

Apple is hardly looking at this as a money making prospect.

Volkstaia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2012
East Coast of the US
Just because something airs on PBS doesn't mean it falls into the public domain, even though it's obvious that Cringely is trying to milk this for all it's worth. I'm more pissed off that this is only a rental and you can't buy it to watch multiple times. Hopefully someone can rip it and put it up as a torrent or on usenet.

I'm going to upload it to blip or some sharing site soon.

Norcalchavo

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
Santa Clara, California
I followed the steps mentioned by someone by typing the name of the movie and ending in torrent and found it in .mp4 format. The website that had it was demonoid

Now I can watch it on my AppleTV

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Guys, don't rent this. What a bit and it will be up on Youtube or free somewhere.

This guy is a LIAR, PLAGIARIST & Scammer! Do you think it was really lost? He has been sitting on this for a while. I don't believe one thing Cringely says. See the provided link below that another fellow MR poster gave us.

He does not deserve your money.

PROOF HE LIED ABOUT HIS "DR." Degree & Professorship. .

So, he inflated his resume, big deal. If inflating one's resume were that big of a deal... Oh, wait, it's not. That story is from 1998... It's obviously had little to no effect on his career. He does have the connections within the industry that he writes about, and he does lecture on technology across the globe.

His book "Accidental Empires" is still one of the best first hand accounts (by the people who created them) of the founding "modern" technology and the web.

PBS ran the "Lost Interview" shortly after Mr. Job's passing. I agree with the posters who said it was fascinating to hear the things we've read before in Job's own voice and words.

Is trying to find a torrent or pirated "free" version any more wrong than Cringely/Stephens inflating his resume?

Just my .02¢

Coachingguy

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
All the bumph said this interview was 'unedited'. It really isn't. Even though a lot of it is left to play for longer than you would usually see on a normal TV interview, it is chopped up quite a lot. Personally as much as Steve is interesting to listen to, he's still in interview mode most of the time. I want to see more of his real persona, which you'd mainly only get on camera inbetween the answering of questions. A lot of is left in, such as when Cringely asks him about NeXT and he replies 'You don't really wanna hear about that do ya?', and when he stops himself talking about the Macintosh betrayal because it would be too emotional to carry on. But you can tell a lot of it has been taken out. Even something as simple as how he picks up a coffee cup or something is interesting, because we know so little of the real Steve Jobs on camera because he was ALWAYS playing a part, that even the smallest amount of body language can tell you a lot more than you knew before.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
It's right there on Apple TV

Just FYI: the movie appears on the top row of icons in the 'Movies' page on Apple TV right now.
Apple isn't hyping the movie, but they're not exactly hiding it either.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Say what you will about Cringely, but I just finished watching this (after renting from iTunes), and I thought it was incredible. Yes, it's mostly all stuff that most of us already know. But it was fascinating for me to hear, in Steve's words, what he thought about Apple, Scully, Microsoft, and the then-future of the computer industry. He saw a future where the Web would dominate the industry, and where TASTE would drive the sales of the next great things.

How right he was. Absolutely remarkable, when you see this in the context of knowing how things ultimately developed. If you're an Apple enthusiast (pretty much assumed if you're reading MacRumors), you will love watching this.

This is exactly how I felt. if you don't want to pay to rent it fine, but if you are all interested in this kind of stuff, I thought it was worth it.

Same for the 60 minutes interview. They re-ran that this weekend, and even though I had already seen it, and read the book, etc, I ended up watching it all over again.

There is something about HEARING Steve describe these things that makes it so fascinating. I really hope they release some of the audio tapes from the biography...

kembriz66

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Free FTP Clients for window and Mac

When it comes to developing websites, there are a lot of tools that are needed. To start, you’ll need an HTML editor and a utility for uploading your files to the internet. But once you start adding specialized functionality to your website or dabbling in design, you’ll need a whole lot of other tools. And if you plan on buying the current tools on the market, you’ll rack up a large tab very quickly. So we take advantage of great FREE software whenever we get the chance.

Here are three FTP clients that we like.Winscp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.