Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
"no saint"?
You mean he was a complete *******. The way he treated his own child!
Apple are unhappy because a film is depicting their glorified computer salesman as a flawed human rather than as a God-like figure. Corporate fascists want to re-write history according to their own false twisted ideal.

In point of fact, Steve Jobs was a horrible person to several people. If this documentary is from their point of view, and it is factual, then fine. No one should have a serious problem with the truth. On the other hand, as I have said elsewhere, it doesn't sound like this is a balanced documentary and that is potentially misleading. Also, the people who knew him say that what is being presented in this documentary isn't entirely accurate, unless I have misunderstood the article.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
No, he is not saying that. A fairer summary of his post would be "Woz was talented; Jobs was unique; and Woz would not have had the opportunities he had without Jobs."

Even if that's the implication, it's still incorrect, imo. We are who we are based on our experiences. Jobs and Woz affected each other. Their relationship along with other influences made them who they were. Woz without Jobs could have ended up flipping burgers at McDonalds. He also could have ended up at some firm that drove his ideas in a different direction. Same with Jobs. A different partner could have contributed ideas that sent Jobs down a completely different path. That post made it seem as if Apple would have been Apple regardless of Woz's contribution. Possibly, possibly not. Job's uniqueness didn't exist in a vacuum.

leontief

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
... Woz without Jobs could have ended up flipping burgers at McDonalds. He also could have ended up at some firm that drove his ideas in a different direction. Same with Jobs. ...

Not disagreeing with the rest of your quote necessarily but, no, Woz would have continued to work at HP where he was already employed, not flipping burgers. Impossible to say what HP would have done with him. Steve owed Woz much in the beginning.

Last edited:

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
If you watch the "Lost Interviews" or whatever it's called, Steve was pretty clear about his role. He wasn't an engineer, he couldn't actually build his visions. But what he could do, was push people. So his job, as he put it, was to find the best engineers he could get and then tell them they weren't doing good enough. People were right to think he was an a**hole, but being a**hole is what they needed.

:apple:

It's one thing to work for someone who is "arrogant" and gets no-where with it (what most of us deal with). If I worked for someone who was arrogant and was a pioneer at every step, I would be pretty pumped to work with them.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Not disagreeing with the rest of your quote necessarily but, no, Woz would have continued to work at HP where he was already employed, not flipping burgers. Impossible to say what HP would have done with him. Steve owed Woz much in the beginning.

That was hyperbole. An extreme example of life's unpredictable nature. Another hyperbolic example: Woz could have continued working at HP, got involved with hookers and blow, and became a drug mule for Pablo Escobar.:D

leontief

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
That was hyperbole. An extreme example of life's unpredictable nature. Another hyperbolic example: Woz could have continued working at HP, got involved with hookers and blow, and became a drug mule for Pablo Escobar.:D

Now that's a movie I would watch!

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Sure Eddy; if SJ had made me a multi-zillionaire I'd probably feel that way too...

My own recollection from reading various stories over the years is that he was indeed a brilliant executive but a not very nice human being.

Since I like my iPhone very much and have never met him in person, this is OK with me.

Give me a break, so you're going to believe someone who didn't know Steve versus a friend. Yes there is a conflict of interests, where? he was Steve's FRIEND, but where else are you going to find someone who knows more about a person than one who spent over a decade working with him?

No, you're going to listen to someone who didn't know him writing from stories from people who've been FIRED by Steve, yeah no conflict there right. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
"no saint"?
You mean he was a complete *******. The way he treated his own child!
Apple are unhappy because a film is depicting their glorified computer salesman as a flawed human rather than as a God-like figure. Corporate fascists want to re-write history according to their own false twisted ideal.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
I've got a very, very common name, so maybe I was a little heightened by this, but Eddie Cue's twitter handle is just 'cue'. Just curiously wondering what he paid to get it. I'd imagine a pretty penny.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
HAAA ! Not at all dude ! He wasn't some fortune teller :rolleyes: You're reeeaaaaalllllly drinking the Kool Aid !

He was just being petty and forcing Quicktime down your throat.

Very funny sig. (Obviously ignored by one or two on here)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yea, but you could see how inexperienced he was. Now I see why the board backed John Scully and ousted Jobs. Making the NeXT computer in 18 months wasn’t possible. The first prototype was unveiled in October of 1988, a year behind schedule. It was actually good for Apple that he spent 10 years in the wilderness with NeXT. I think that, combined with is success at running Pixar, is what made him what he was when he rejoined Apple. People always forget about Pixar.

Without John Scully we would have nothing to reflect on.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
If I was Eddie I would say the same thing.
Even though the Documentary is 100% accurate.
If you compare another CEO (Name I will not mention ;) ) in regards to to philanthropic work, Jobs was a heartless, self serving,opportunist/capitalist who rode off the technological advancements of others while stealing, giving little to no credit where credit was due and suing others.
He had petty feuds with companies like Adobe after public acceptance swayed toward Flash instead of Quicktime and tried to patent simple existing standards like opening a blue URL link with a browser by touching it.

Steve Jobs really is not someone to revere. His ethics were deeply troubling and none of you should want your children to grow up as narcissistic and evil as he was.

I don't believe in God but I do believe in karma.

-Gates Out-

Hi feud with Adobe was what made him stand out among the crowd of also ran CEO's, and was he wrong? No, Adobe was taking jabs at Apple for not accepting flash knowing full well how crap it was on mobile. This and his tendency to randomly answer customer emails also set him apart.

Since you're claiming to be Mr. Gates, lets compare the two's approach to philanthropy. Mr. Gates has been the richest man on earth 8 out of 10 times in the last decade WHILE retired, Jobs died with a nett worth of $7b spread over a number of companies and was still pouring over work the day before he died. Gates retired over a decade ago with income coming constantly enough to push him back to #1 richest spot year after year even after donating most of it.

"opportunist/capitalist" lol how quick we forget about the MS Monopoly.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Give me a break, so you're going to believe someone who didn't know Steve versus a friend. Yes there is a conflict of interests, where? he was Steve's FRIEND, but where else are you going to find someone who knows more about a person than one who spent over a decade working with him?

No, you're going to listen to someone who didn't know him writing from stories from people who've been FIRED by Steve, yeah no conflict there right. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

here's one thing i"ve learned in my short life so far on this earth:

Friends of individuals cannot necessary give an accurate, and unbiased history of an individual since by nature, Friendship is a bond in which often the individuals share commonality in behaviour or acceptance of ones intricacies.

So in a case like Job's, and his history, it's best to look at multiple stories and sources. The friends who point rosy pictures, the enemies who hate him. Somewhere in the middle, you have closer to the real person.

What I have taken from it all? from his friends and enemies?

Jobs was a dedicated worker who had a very strong personal drive and motivation. if you were his friend, he rewarded you well. If you were not his friend, he could either be irrelevant to your life, or a complete and utter ass.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
I'm not sure if this documentary has any previously unknown info / material but I assume many are already aware of Steve's personality traits. Brilliant entrepreneur with keen vision and tyrant / ******* to many people near him. Then again if one needs to find the true *******s of digital age then one should've visited the Facebook campus.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I was and am still looking forward to Alex Gibney's upcoming documentary on Scientology, but this Steve Jobs doc lowers the esteem I had for the filmmaker. It's great when you apply balls to the wall, muckracking investigations to an evil cult. Steve Jobs doesn't deserve that treatment. He raised the standards of everyone around him, was absolutely devoted to his work, and created an enormous amount of good in the world despite his personal flaws.

So as long as it's not slamming your god, you're fine with him otherwise? Im only kidding but I see how much of a tizzy this is sending you as much as his scientology film is sending them.

Sean4000

Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
This makes three STeve Jobs centric films made. Pirates of Silicon Valley, Ashton Kutchers movie, and now this one. Unless i missed one. Did any of them come close to an accurate portrayal?

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
The same negative anecdotes were covered in Isaacson's biography. At least there, there was some attempt at balance. How would your biography look if the writer focused solely on everything you've done wrong?

How do you know that the Gibney documentary has not attempted balance? And has "focused solely on everything [Saint Steve] did wrong"?

You've seen the film?

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
I would quite like to see a book about Apple from 1988 to about 1997. I'd like it to include interviews with developers and employees at various levels of management. I've read Gil Amelio's book, 'On the Firing Line: 500 Days at Apple', but is there anything else out there? I find this period really fascinating.

Apple Confidential by Owen Linzmayer. See if you can kind the first edition at your local library - http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/757414320 otherwise just buy the 2nd edition used on Amazon.

Bob Ames

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
For 26 years, I thought I had a great friend until I found out about Narcissistic Personality Disorder, a form of mental illness that causes the sufferer to totally lack empathy yet appear to be the nicest and kindest person you've ever met, but it's all just an act, a way of securing narcissistic supply. Now I look back, I was royally used, abused, and **** on, and yet his spell was so powerful that I just couldn't see it. I'd suggest that Eddie Cue read-up on Narcissistic Personality Disorder and then think again about his 'friendship' with Jobs. As for balance, there's no point showing the positive sides of a narcissist - that is all just pretense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.