Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
What never cool NEW stuff you believe will be there, I can guarantee it WON'T BE THERE.

Most likely there will be mini revisions to everything, and nothing new. The 'new' thing will be promises of things that won't be coming until late 2008, or even 2009.

Steve Jobs shall say, 'I have something SO cool and SO NEW that you won't believe your eyes. And by the time we actually release it, you will swear it is ancient history...'

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Wow, we're really scraping the barrel for news aren't we?

Well in all fairness, it's not confirmed until Apple notifies IDG World Expo. The marketing teams for Macworld Expo can now properly advertise the event.

You never know when something is going to come up with a speaker you're "expecting" to commit especially when they're as temperamental as Steve Jobs.

Take the last Macworld Boston and the dying Apple Expo for example ...

ngdesign

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
January 15th! That's forever from now!!!!

So, how many of you are staying home from work to watch? Or are you going to be watching at work?

i remember last year i took the day off and went to starbucks to watch the live coverage.. hahaha.. just because of the iphone.

peeeter

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
iMovie 7.5

I hope there will be a free update of iMovie that will bring back effects, animated titles etc. There must be some software introduced as hardware demonstrations take quite short time and I don't believe that there will be so many of them to fill the time.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Question for people going...

Does anybody know if there are other places to watch the live broadcast if you go to MacWorld (monitors)? I am planning on attending, but I don't feel like camping out the entire time.

Suggestions? Is there plenty of seating for everybody? What are my chances of getting in?

surferuke

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
ouch

you mentioned some painful possibilities with the iphone. 16gb. i hope they don't even tempt me.......... i was hoping for a 3G 32gb iphone 2 to justify verizon contract breakage.

tyrnight

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Mbp

Mac Book Pro's were just updated in november, Why 2 months later (reminds me of the iPhone Price drop). I personaly want the Mac Pro Updated so I can finnish my video editing.

viniciusc

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
My dream would be if apple introduces an Intel mac-only processor, that is, a processor that is totally optimized for OS X (and vice-versa), is faster than any PC standard processor, but still compatible with both bootcamp and virtualization. If that happens, Apple will really be able to say "We are again faster than the PC".

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
you mentioned some painful possibilities with the iphone. 16gb. i hope they don't even tempt me.......... i was hoping for a 3G 32gb iphone 2 to justify verizon contract breakage.
I think the iPod touch will get the larger storage before the iPhone so Steve can discontinue the iPod classic ASAP.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
My dream would be if apple introduces an Intel mac-only processor, that is, a processor that is totally optimized for OS X (and vice-versa), is faster than any PC standard processor, but still compatible with both bootcamp and virtualization. If that happens, Apple will really be able to say "We are again faster than the PC".
They already have that, it's called the x86 processor from Intel. The software is built on the instruction set and the processor is optimized to run the instruction set.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
It failed before...

This didn't work with the PowerPC - Apple's purchases were too small to justify the multiple billions of dollars needed to develop and advance the microprocessor.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Wow, last year everything had been so recently updated, no one could figure out what was gonna get refreshed, and instead we just got 90 minutes about a product that wasn't gonna be available for 6 months, half an hour about a product Steve had already told us about 3 months ago and a 3 month wait for any new computers. This year, there are enough ppl convinced that everything will get upgraded that however good this ultraportable will be, it's gonna disappoint most ppl by taking up too much stage-time.

I think, in order of likelihood:

1) Ultra-portable: how can so many rumour sites be wrong?
2) Mac Pro (but, much like the sap who assumes that 15 reds in roulette must surely be followed by a black, I have my doubts, and part of me wants to leave this off the list altogether...)
3) Macbook Pro (the mobile penryn chips will be available shortly after the workstation ones and its most due for a refresh of all the portables - so my guess is shipping within a month or so)
4) LCDs (if the MP gets a facelift...)
5) Apple TV (why not? ...it's been a year)

And the outside contender:

Mid-range tower mac looks increasingly likely, despite a dearth of rumours about it. I don't necessarily expect it at Macworld but there is no way Apple can get rid of the Mac Mini without coming up with a mid-range solution and everyone seems convinced that's going to happen.

And the no-hopers:

5) iMac - the last time they updated the iMac that quickly, it was so they could switch to intel
4) Mac Mini: they seem to be updating this one less and less often, and I doubt it will see anything until everything else has had penryn - and even then might kill it off
3) Macbook: just got updated - that 13.3 inch screen story has nothing to do with the macbook as it won't get penryn until a few months after the mbp
2) ipod: apple doesn't like updating the ipod just after december which is its best-selling month. It has never been updated before April.
1) iphone: for all the same reasons as the ipod with the added bonus that 3G will be timed with the asia release, and the flash increase will be coincided with that, otherwise the iphone would have to be 32 gb by late summer. Flash prices maybe dropping quickly but not THAT quickly! Besides, did it occur to you how annoyed the 3 core European markets would be if they bought a product they'd waited 11 months for, got 5 months later than the US only to have it updated within 2 months?!

All in all, it doesn't look to be a very consumer-oriented Macworld...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Oh, we've had the year of high-definition. We've had the secret features... we've had the year of the Mac. What else remains for Steve Jobs to say? :rolleyes:

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Oh, we've had the year of high-definition. We've had the secret features... we've had the year of the Mac. What else remains for Steve Jobs to say? :rolleyes:

The year of making good on the BS promises Steve's made in all the previous years.

viz: "We've got lots of other cool and new exciting products, that we're going to be bringing out later this year." Jan 2007

Good one steve, except this Ipod Touch-thing looks a little bit too much like the phone you yakked on about for the whole keynote that you ended with this statement to really be considered "new and exciting", and no matter how many of the things you sell, it still only counts as one "product".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.