Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
It is no his best design. Too bad he spending all that money's on that boat, he could giving it to charity and it would sailing forever.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I doubt those are Macs on the bridge, surely they're more likely to be cinema displays hooked up to a Mac Pro or two?

Is that a mirroring surface at the ship's bow? Why would you do that?

EDIT:
The more I look at it, the more I think it might be made of glass – which must look very cool from the inside. I remember reading in Steve's biography about him having a special kind of glass designed that could provide actual structural support to the ship. Maybe they used that for the bow as well.

I dunno, still looks like chrome to me, same around the anchor. Yuck. I like the rest of it though (which I'm sure the designers will be pleased to hear!).

And for those who don't know why Philippe Starck is one of the all times greats, here's just a tiny selection of the things he's turned his hand to:

I thought about buying one of those when I was in the market for a fruit squeezer, but the impracticality of it put me off - nothing to catch the pips, and only useful if you're squeezing into a glass, not into a large mixing bowl, for example. Unlike Apple products which often get accused of it that really is form over funtion. Pretty though. Got me one of these in the end.

Last edited:

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Can They Get a Refund?

Wow that is one piece of expensive ugly. And knowing Starck, it will capsize the first time it gets hit by a wave. Let's just hope he didn't also design the life vests.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Yea but its Steve Jobs yacht. Of course he'll have the latest iMac's even before they come out. The question I was asking was, where are the mouse and keyboards? I guess they are touch screen iMac's?
Notice the cable running out of the cabinet under the row of iMacs?

So much for wireless :D

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
So the workers who built this monstrosity each received an iPod Shuffle?
Maybe he should have gave them each a $15 iTunes card instead, to save some $$$.
I figured he was kind of miserly, but come on...

Xenu007

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Definitely Not OSX loaded on those iMac/Displays

I guarantee you that the ship is not being navigated using OSX as the OS for the navigation system.

yankinwaoz

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Style of function

It looks like design took priority over function. As as blue water sailor, I think this boat is joke. The sea is unforgiving of mistakes. It is one thing to have your iPhone fail. It is another to have a vessel with souls on board fail (cars, trains, planes, and ships).

Specifically:
Those forward facing sliding doors. They better hope they don't have to pound into heavy seas with water coming over the rails. Those are a disaster waiting to happen.

Chrome anchors. Seriously? They look like ornaments. I guess they plan to only use them once. Anchors take a beating. They are supposed to. I would not trust those anchors.

The bridge: Seriously? All computer driven nav and control systems? Yikes! I don't even see a real compass there. One that works all times, power or no power.

Also, there is nothing to grab on to on rolling seas on the bridge.

Those glass windows along the bow. I hope they put those in right and that they are strong, strong, strong. Taking pounding waves for hours against those will shake them loose and introduce leaks, if not total failure. I hope this ship has tight bulkheads and good pumps. It is going to need them one day.

The stern. I haven't seen a photo of the stern. But from the side photos, I'm guessing that she has a nice flat stern low to the water. Perfect for catching a following sea and driving the bow deep into the wave ahead of you. You need a narrower stern to split the waves, not catch them.

I don't see any life boats.

Bottom line, this boat is probably great in smooth waters. But it looks a disaster waiting to happen if caught in a serious storm, or rouge wave. I can't wait to see more photos later, especially to see what is under the waterline.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I like the looks of it a lot! the Design kind of reminds me of a warship.

Anyone know the distance of Samsung's HQ from the Sea of Japan?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
What a truly horrible looking boat.

Whether it's designed that way to deter pirates or not makes no difference as its too awful for even the owners to contemplate boarding it.

Looks like a obselete 1950s soviet missile silo. Toss up which one will ultimately get more use.
Yes, because all you should care about is what "other" people think of your boat rather than how enjoyable it is for the people on board.
:rolleyes:
You might feel the need to compensate for your shortcomings but not everyone is interested in showing off for others.

Think about it for a minute, would you spend a lot of money on a boat that looked attractive to make people jealous while not serving your comfort needs when you are onboard?

Personally, if I was as rich as Jobs was, I would not give a rat's arse what people like you thought. I would create a boat for my family to enjoy.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
they should make a version of this boat big enough to seat a commercial cruise passenger capacity

i would love to cruise on that boat...

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
I can't believe the same Steve Jobs who created some of the most iconic gadgets available could design something so hideous as this. It looks so old fashioned and nothing like anything I would have imagined Steve would have created. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.