Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Miser in death just as he was in life. IPod Shuffles...really, how insulting.

The Yacht is fugly and a most ostentatious and grotesque display of wealth I have ever seen. Let's hope its as successful as the Titanic. Lol

Fail

Hoping people die is disgusting and you should be ashamed.
Are you a serial killer or something?

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
That's a nice looking yacht.

Plus, nice use of iMacs.

Awful. It's typical Starck nonsense. Really surprised that he was picked by Jobs. As a designer he's the anthesis of Ives.

Honestly, I guess it is ok, but I don't think I'm too crazy about it. I'd MUCH rather have the Oculus (below)! :eek: :D :cool:

and the next question is-- Are they using the latest model iMac???? lol

From the looks of the thin bottom aluminum strip, I would say yes.

I don't think so, the 27 in models are not coming out until December.

Ya lol. How bad would it suck to have a BRAND NEW custom designed/built multi-million dollar yacht only to have the iMacs instantly obsolete lol! That's embarrassing haha :p

Launching soon, the all new MacBoat

Boats are toys for commoners, try iYacht ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I'm sorry but I am tired of people bringing up Bill Gates's philanthropy. Enough. He is ridiculously rich. Period. It is easy for a man of his financial status to give a lot of money away. Granted, it's a good thing that he does, but let's not make it sound like it's a great achievement and a testament to his character. This takes zero moral effort.

If a man that has 10 billion dollars gives 9 billion away, he is still a billionaire.

The guy putting long hours at your local volunteer soup kitchen gives more. The guy who gives 10% of his $30K a year to charity (like so many servicemen do) while supporting a family of 4 gives more. The neighbor who invites a hungry family for dinner gives more.

So please, just stop.

And BTW, love the boat. ;)

Last edited:

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
It looks like design took priority over function. As as blue water sailor, I think this boat is joke. The sea is unforgiving of mistakes. It is one thing to have your iPhone fail. It is another to have a vessel with souls on board fail (cars, trains, planes, and ships).

Specifically:
Those forward facing sliding doors. They better hope they don't have to pound into heavy seas with water coming over the rails. Those are a disaster waiting to happen.

Chrome anchors. Seriously? They look like ornaments. I guess they plan to only use them once. Anchors take a beating. They are supposed to. I would not trust those anchors.

The bridge: Seriously? All computer driven nav and control systems? Yikes! I don't even see a real compass there. One that works all times, power or no power.

Also, there is nothing to grab on to on rolling seas on the bridge.

Those glass windows along the bow. I hope they put those in right and that they are strong, strong, strong. Taking pounding waves for hours against those will shake them loose and introduce leaks, if not total failure. I hope this ship has tight bulkheads and good pumps. It is going to need them one day.

The stern. I haven't seen a photo of the stern. But from the side photos, I'm guessing that she has a nice flat stern low to the water. Perfect for catching a following sea and driving the bow deep into the wave ahead of you. You need a narrower stern to split the waves, not catch them.

I don't see any life boats.

Bottom line, this boat is probably great in smooth waters. But it looks a disaster waiting to happen if caught in a serious storm, or rouge wave. I can't wait to see more photos later, especially to see what is under the waterline.

so, you're saying this yacht can't cross the atlantic, then?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yes, the stock price went up, meaning stock owners could make money on selling the stock...

Equally true for Gates and Buffett (et.al.) and many other people, rich or not. Most of their charitable donations did not come from their W-2 paycheck income or dividends. Every shareholder has that same opportunity, including the many who have already sold AAPL for a long term capital gain (likely many many thousands of people). There's where the real money is. Ask them what they've done for charity. The Jobs family wealth from Apple is small potatoes by comparison.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
You're talking about the ship, right?

Since I doubt that you've been inside Laurene's Santa Rita home to comment on its decor.

Of corse I have not been IN THE HOUSE. The Blue Prints, and interior layout are online. As well as the Zen Garden design, Walking Paths, Garage, Building Materials, and sq ft.

Don't judge a book by it's cover Mr. Shaw. Just saying, ;)

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Not really ...

This is actually the first floating Apple Store ... hey, why not.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
Example please.

neoliberalism. You are just reciting a talking point that corresponds with it, probably something you are simply parroting from fox or talk radio as I doubt with your question for an example you are actually reading about this stuff in books.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
Well you said that it takes a genius to make products in China, I was just responding by letting you know that every company does that. People make Apple seem like the devil because they make products in China... Every other company does that too.

Actually what I satirically said was: Steve Jobs was a genius, he knew the power of what Chinese hands could afford him. Obviously you feel threatened by that kind of criticism of greed and exploitation and are trying to excuse it with the red herring you made about other companies being equal participants. This comparison hardly excuses the actions.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Actually what I satirically said was: Steve Jobs was a genius, he knew the power of what Chinese hands could afford him. Obviously you feel threatened by that kind of criticism of greed and exploitation and are trying to excuse it with the red herring you made about other companies being equal participants. This comparison hardly excuses the actions.

I actually never said it was a good thing actually so now you are implying things that I never said. I actually don't feel threatened at all, I am just adding to the conversation by setting the facts straight. If you would have said the same about Eric Schmitt, I would have corrected you also. It didn't sound like sarcasm it sounded more like trolling.

Last edited:

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
No. Because of the way he made and used Windows. He very aggressively abused his near monopoly position. Kind of like Walmart (or the late 1800's version of Standard Oil) but worse.

Wow, if you think that was worse, you really need to re-read your history of standard oil, the amount of destruction they caused for people who got in their was way scary. And so was the case with Microsoft. But Apple circa 2012 is every bit as nasty as any other company has been.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
neoliberalism. You are just reciting a talking point that corresponds with it, probably something you are simply parroting from fox or talk radio as I doubt with your question for an example you are actually reading about this stuff in books.

So you can't provide an example of some propaganda that supports something along the lines of "People who hire Chinese workers help the workers and the economy."? Oh my. I don't even see how it's possible to have propaganda for something that is FACTUALLY CORRECT. Hiring people means that you pay them money, not charge them money.

Well, I have some propaganda that says that those people are evil and harmful, so if anything, I'd say that you're following the propaganda:
images

images

In case you're wondering, I don't watch the biased Fox News. I get my news from the LA Times, KPCC public radio, and KCAL9/CBS.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
So you can't provide an example of some propaganda that supports something along the lines of "People who hire Chinese workers help the workers and the economy."? Oh my. I don't even see how it's possible to have propaganda for something that is FACTUALLY CORRECT. Hiring people means that you pay them money, not charge them money.

Well, I have some propaganda that says that those people are evil and harmful, so if anything, I'd say that you're following the propaganda:

In case you're wondering, I don't watch the biased Fox News. I get my news from the LA Times, KPCC public radio, and KCAL9/CBS.

I didn't need to provide you an example you provided it for us in the form of your 'job creators' neoliberal talking point. I thought I made that clear. It's obvious at this point the term must be foreign to you. It is a right-wing ideology which while of course being supported and trumpeted by rightwing sources (fox and talk radio) is certainly no stranger to all sources of media at this point - it's the status quo. You can commonly turn on NPR and hear someone from the (right-wing think tanks) Heritage Foundation or American Enterprise Institute championing it.

It's laughable you're posting these pictures of Occupy without understanding it's context. Occupy is less a force FOR an ideology and more a reaction against one. In this case the one you're promoting in the form of neoliberal capitalism and yes they use propaganda of their own to get that across the same as the Chamber of Commerce and every other business interest that petals the garbage you're repeating here.

Do yourself a favor don't be deluded into thinking that by reading Sam Zell's paper or listening to public radio you are somehow a critical thinker - do the work. Pick up Gauthier, Bernays, Friedman and all the other right-wing people I'm sure you've never heard of and actually know the detail of what you're subscribing to instead of being the simple-minded parrot we see here.
And who knows, maybe this knowledge will cause you to reconsider and eventually break the chains of that cave you're sitting in and resemble something closer to the progressive ideals your star trek pic embodies. If not at least be accurate and change it to Ferengi.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
I'm sure the workers would rather have had the money if they felt like being generous. This way they got a crappy/crippled music player AND got to act as stooges for a PR move.

I'm sure more than one said, "Byatch please" and tossed theirs away.

I'd find a $49 dollar tip less thoughtful than a music player from the Jobs family.:p

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I didn't need to provide you an example you provided it for us in the form of your 'job creators' neoliberal talking point. I thought I made that clear. It's obvious at this point the term must be foreign to you. It is a right-wing ideology which while of course being supported and trumpeted by rightwing sources (fox and talk radio) is certainly no stranger to all sources of media at this point - it's the status quo. You can commonly turn on NPR and hear someone from the (right-wing think tanks) Heritage Foundation or American Enterprise Institute championing it.

It's laughable you're posting these pictures of Occupy without understanding it's context. Occupy is less a force FOR an ideology and more a reaction against one. In this case the one you're promoting in the form of neoliberal capitalism and yes they use propaganda of their own to get that across the same as the Chamber of Commerce and every other business interest that petals the garbage you're repeating here.

Do yourself a favor don't be deluded into thinking that by reading Sam Zell's paper or listening to public radio you are somehow a critical thinker - do the work. Pick up Gauthier, Bernays, Friedman and all the other right-wing people I'm sure you've never heard of and actually know the detail of what you're subscribing to instead of being the simple-minded parrot we see here.
And who knows, maybe this knowledge will cause you to reconsider and eventually break the chains of that cave you're sitting in and resemble something closer to the progressive ideals your star trek pic embodies. If not at least be accurate and change it to Ferengi.

That made me chuckle. You're trying to be condescending while you deny facts using opinions. So just because I supposedly match some ideology because of the facts I state, it's a sign of propaganda exposure? And to top it off, you claim that propaganda is influencing me but fail to even provide an example and instead give some lame explanation that nobody would believe for an instant.

Sorry, but if you think that paying people money hurts those people, then you clearly don't know what the word "pay" means. It's not a matter of ideology even though you're pretending like it is. Are you saying that it would be better for the Chinese workers not to even have the option of working at a tiny wage for some company? That's just plain false. Neoliberal capitalism means favoring the free market, not stating things that are factually correct.

Then you say I'm a neoliberal capitalist. No, I don't believe in the totally free market. This reminds of the time when I stated on an "Obama is Kenyan!" video the fact that Obama was born in Hawaii, and some people said I was a liberal (which I'm not) "drinking the Koolaid".

Yeah, they should be paid more, but that's not the question.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.