Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Today, I heard from a classmate that she got hit with ransomware on her Windows laptop. Coupled with the fact that a while back, Transmission once had ransomware injected into an updated version, this got me thinking about upping my backup plan.

At the moment, all I have is Time Machine enabled and continuously making incremental backups. I also have copies of work and school-related materials in Dropbox and a USB key.

What more can I do to further minimize damages in case something happens? Doing a quick search showed me the 3-2-1 strategy - having at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (read: devices), and at least 1 copy offsite. How can I actually apply this?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Create a cloned, bootable backup on an external drive using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Better:

Create TWO cloned backups. Keep one close-at-hand. Store the other one "off-site" at a different location.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Create a cloned, bootable backup on an external drive using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Better:

Create TWO cloned backups. Keep one close-at-hand. Store the other one "off-site" at a different location.

I usually go with a three pronged approach to backup
1) Incremental backups with Time Machine
2) Bootable clone with CarbonCopyCloner
3) Cloud backup with Backblaze

How often should I create or update bootable clones? Or should this be a clean state, and leave as is?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
How often should I create or update bootable clones? Or should this be a clean state, and leave as is?

I make a CCC backup every other day, but it depends on your personal usage and what other methods of backup you're currently employing. I also backup with Time Machine. You've received good advice from the previous replies.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I make a CCC backup every other day, but it depends on your personal usage and what other methods of backup you're currently employing. I also backup with Time Machine. You've received good advice from the previous replies.

In your case, how wouls you deal with any "sleeper" malware? As in malware that may wreak havoc after a period of time, or some trigger?

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
Trying not to TC, but I used to use MozyPro... do you guys recommend Backblaze or Crashplan over that for offsite/cloud backup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.