Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
princealfie said:
it won't... it won't be compatible with itself even! :eek:

omgz :eek: but actually, I do know what you mean by that. Might not play the PlayForSure stuff right? I think Microsoft is doing itself harm again by not supporting their own stuff, just like my 360! woohoo, need a Hard Drive and downloads to play Xbox games and not even all of them :eek:

As far as it goes though, i think the iPods have matured nicely but its nice to see a second party jump into this. Believe me, im not fan of Microsoft, but with competion, the iPod can only get better so I look forward to that. Despite what anybody says, im still a true believer in Sony and their products and I would like to see them do a major push into this market but I dont see that happening in the near future as they have their hands full with the PS3, blue-ray and their 20 new TV's and the battery troubles they've had but hey its always darkest before the sun rise.

But even if they dont jump into it, I would like to see Microsoft gain a good share. The problem is this, iPod holds (i dont know exact numbers so work with me) a 75% Market Share and iTunes itself holds lets say another 75%. They both work with each other and done!

With all the 30 different music offers, Napster, Yahoo, connect, MSN, etc and the other 80 units out there, Zune, iRiver, Sony's unit etc, their all kicking around with their own softwere and their own unit and fighting for the 25% market share left. What they need to do is, yes have your own unit and tout your own features but have a freakin standard for your music service provider so people either use 1 or can use multiple but a standard so all devices work on it. That will be the only way they can compete with the iPod and iTunes, not everybody have their own grand idea and hold their 2% market share.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
illegalprelude said:
So do we know if the Zune will be OSX compatible?
MS have said that initially won't be on Mac, which I'm taking to mean it probably won't be ever.

With the iPod, Apple said on day one that it would eventually work on Windows (though iTunes was kind of a surprise).

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Well, the iPods work under EVERY operating system (including Linux, Solaris, BSD, Unix) under EVERY architecture (x86, x86-64, ia64, Sparc, PPC, Alpha).

I have personally tested it under those listed above.

As long as you stick under an x86 variant architecture, you have Wine to give you the official iTunes with the Music Store and all.

If you do not want to take the Wine route, then you have plenty of applications avaliable that will copy your complete library from your computer to the iPod and back (my personal favorite is Amarok, because I can take pre-DRMed files from the iPod, copy to the computer through Amarok and put back on another iPod without the use of the original computer. (Not that I usually do that, but it is nice when a coworker shows up with the next SG1 and Atlantis episodes)).

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
projectle said:
Well, the iPods work under EVERY operating system (including Linux, Solaris, BSD, Unix) under EVERY architecture (x86, x86-64, ia64, Sparc, PPC, Alpha).

Those additional platforms, of course, don't enjoy the full functionality of iTunes, can't use all available media, and are unsupported. There will probably be unsupported hacks to get Zune sort of working with the Mac too, just as there are things like XNJB for PlaysForSure units.

As long as you stick under an x86 variant architecture, you have Wine to give you the official iTunes with the Music Store and all.
And at that point you're really back to using the Windows software, and again in an unsupported way.

None of those things really compare to the experience supplied by native iTunes (and presumably, native Zune stuff).

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Jay42 said:
As much as it pains me to see it, I think the more success the Zune has, the better for the consumer. Competition will drive technology up and costs down. I think without some sort of shove, Apple would have taken their sweet time to release a widescreen ipod and would have milked the 5g design for as long as possible.

I guess that you don't own an Apple computer do you? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.