Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffeym

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2016
UK
Having read reviews of the Studio Display, several said that once brightness is set via software on a Mac, that same brightness would carry over when a Windows PC is attached to the display.

I'm finding this not to be the case. I'm linking up my work laptop after having set brightness under the 'P3-Studio Display' profile on my Mac. It appears that, under Windows, brightness is set to maximum, which is uncomfortable.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm thinking that maybe the display remembers brightness on a per-profile basis, and the Windows laptop is not using the P3 profile. However, you can't actually see what profile is being used under Windows, as this detail is seemingly only available under the Mac display settings.

Any help appreciated!

Panzerdamon

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2016
Update: seems to be fixed after updating display firmware.
Could you speak to how the brightness/volume buttons are working with the display? And what your max resolution is? Plan on picking up a display to run with my pc/apple keyboard and am very curious!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
As a PSA, ClickMonitorDDC, which worked on the LG UltraFine 5K, does not appear to work on the Studio Display.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
@coffeeym

Does boot camp's control panel work to control brightness? Or do I have to boot into mac everytime I need to change it.

@KPOM can confirm it does not work

coffeym

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2016
UK
Could you speak to how the brightness/volume buttons are working with the display? And what your max resolution is? Plan on picking up a display to run with my pc/apple keyboard and am very curious!
Volume can be controlled from Windows. I’ve put away my work laptop for now, but the resolution wasn’t the full 5K but better than 1440p. Looked great. I think the limitation is to do with data bandwidth from the laptop’s USB-C port. Everything seemed to work fine - webcam picked up as a normal webcam, speakers work, mics work.
@coffeeym

Does boot camp's control panel work to control brightness? Or do I have to boot into mac everytime I need to change it.

@KPOM can confirm it does not work
Afraid I don’t have Boot Camp installed. I would bet on you needing to connect a Mac to change the brightness.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
I'm getting the full resolution @Panzerdamon using Thunderbolt on an Asus Zenbook Duo

I installed the bootcamp drivers and then removed one of the sys files (to prevent the WDF bluescreen) and it installed the camera, mic and speakers on windows.

If anyone else is looking into Windows performance, it seems that if you unplug and replug the display, the display comes back but the USB hub disconnects (causing the speakers, camera + mic to not work anymore)

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

geminian

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
I also have this problem. When I connect my Studio Display to my Dell XPS 15 (using the original Thunderbolt cable), everything works fine except that I can't adjust the brightness levels.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
I found this:

But I can't get it to work, has anyone tried the new Studio Display with bootcamp?

coffeym

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2016
UK
Are you saying that you can control brightness from your Windows PC now? What graphics card are you running?
No, I was saying the display was no longer defaulting to maximum brightness when I connected a Windows device. I‘m not able to control brightness via Windows directly.

AppleSeedz

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
No, I was saying the display was no longer defaulting to maximum brightness when I connected a Windows device. I‘m not able to control brightness via Windows directly.
Thanks for the information. That is good enough for me to use then. Vesa mount version ordered. I will be saying goodbye to my beloved ultrawide and ushering in a new era of 5k

Reactions: coffeym

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Just a quick updated note to my post above if you installed the firmware update to 15.4, you don't have to install the bootcamp drivers anymore

Reactions: AppleSeedz

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
While I haven't found a hardware way to adjust brightness, I found this application that puts a gray overlay over your monitor screen that works as a nice proxy way

Dimmer

Just be warned that it is an overlay which means screenshots and video shares will have the same Gray overtone on everything

AppleSeedz

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
While I haven't found a hardware way to adjust brightness, I found this application that puts a gray overlay over your monitor screen that works as a nice proxy way

Dimmer

Just be warned that it is an overlay which means screenshots and video shares will have the same Gray overtone on everything
That is good to know. Is the brightness staying at the level in which you set it out using your Mac when you switch to Windows? What firmware version are you using?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Dimmer

It doesn’t cover the entire display (I am running my ASD as a 4K display on Windows).

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
It doesn’t cover the entire display (I am running my ASD as a 4K display on Windows).
It seems to cover my entire display except for the windows start menu. I'm running windows 11 though.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Has anyone running a non Mac computer gotten brightness control to work (either force installing boot camp or some other software)

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2021
I got brightness control in all windows laptops, but not in the Windows Settings. Right click on the desktop and one option will be your graphic card menu, Intel, Radeon, whatever.
In that you can find brightness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.