Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arnuan

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2023
Hello,
I encourage everyone to download the update of my "Studio Display Brightness Controller" application, there is a small but important stability fix, the link is in the first post of this thread as usual:

Apple Studio Display Windows Compatibility​

When I install libusb-win32 from the provided link and run the filter installer, “vid:05ac pid:1114 rev:0201 mi:08” does not appear as an option. What am I doing wrong?

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2015
When I install libusb-win32 from the provided link and run the filter installer, “vid:05ac pid:1114 rev:0201 mi:08” does not appear as an option. What am I doing wrong?
Maybe you should do the installation while keeping the display connected to the computer?

babayaro

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
Hello again!

I have finally finished working on the app. I named it "Studio Display Brightness Controller". The application does not require BootCamp installation. You can use it to control the brightness of the Studio Display. The application uses the built-in ambient light sensor and updates the brightness of the monitor in real time.

I am in touch with kreasu_ who will update the main post in this thread shortly with all the information needed to install the app.

I encourage everyone who likes the app to click the "Buy me a coffee" button :)

Regards!
Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your work. I'm planning on switching to Windows soon, and it would be nice if I can keep using my monitor. Could you put the code for the application on github? I'm curious how you achieved this and I'd be happy to contribute if I can.

software_noob

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2023
Hi,

I was wondering if Chris_Poland’s software can control the ambient light sensor on the LG Ultrafine 22MD4KA display too?

I have installed the Boot Camp Control using the Legacy Boot Camp Install Instructions provided by kreasu_.

Then I downloaded “libusb-win32” and using the Filter Wizard I couldn’t install the device filter “vid:05ac pid1114 rev:0201 mi:08”. Is there a way to identify the appropriate device filter/Hardware ID for my monitor?

I’ve got the LG 4K monitor plugged into an rtx 3080 using the huawei/belkin cable. I was able to get audio to play through the monitor.

Last edited:

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
Hello,

I strongly do not recommend using this software to control another monitor. Controlling the Studio Display monitor in my application is done in the same way as BootCamp - I had to use a sniffer to see what this communication looks like and then I recreated it in my program. In the case of a different monitor, communication may be completely different, which may even result in damage to the monitor if an instruction is sent to it that it does not understand and performs something unpredictable.

Reactions: software_noob

msSeven

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2023
The link to Chris_Poland's Studio Display Brightness Controller is dead. Any chance to get a reupload?

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
Hello,
This was the older version, the newest is this one:
https:<slash><slash>rebrand.ly<slash>sdbc_v1-2-0-0

BTW:
Kreasu, could you please update the link in this thread

babayaro

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
The libusb-win32 filter wizard isn't seeing "vid:05ac pid:1114 rev:0201 mi:08" :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WiFi

First, I tried connecting the studio display to my motherboard's usb type-c ports using the studio display's thunderbolt cable. It didn't work.

Then, I bought this cable(1 meter) and connected the studio display to my motherboard's displayport port. It works with 5120x2880 resolution. Windows doesn't see the camera and speakers of the studio display(as expected).

Then I tried to apply these instructions on this post:
Install library "libusb-win32" from here:
DOWNLOAD
This is the library I use to communicate with the monitor via USB.

After installation run program: Filter Wizard
Then select: Install a device filter
Select: "vid:05ac pid:1114 rev:0201 mi:08" and click Install

When I try to install the device filter, I can't see "vid:05ac pid:1114 rev:0201 mi:08" in the list.

Has anyone had the same problem and has an idea to solve it?

Last edited:

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
The libusb-win32 filter wizard isn't seeing "vid:05ac pid:1114 rev:0201 mi:08" :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WiFi

First, I tried connecting the studio display to my motherboard's usb type-c ports using the studio display's thunderbolt cable. It didn't work.

Then, I bought this cable(1 meter) and connected the studio display to my motherboard's displayport port. It works with 5120x2880 resolution. Windows doesn't see the camera and speakers of the studio display(as expected).

Then I tried to apply these instructions on this post:

When I try to install the device filter, I can't see "vid:05ac pid:1114 rev:0201 mi:08" in the list.

Has anyone had the same problem and has an idea to solve it?
It only works via thunderbolt connection. The speakers and camera are handled over usb via thunderbolt
You might be able to use a belkin vr cable to have a DisplayPort and usb but I have not tested that

Reactions: babayaro

snowylawn

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2023
On the latest firmware (17), the ASD automatically changes brightness in Windows (bootcamp).

I updated OSX to Sonoma to get the latest FW, and my machine is an Intel MBP.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
On the latest firmware (17), the ASD automatically changes brightness in Windows (bootcamp).

I updated OSX to Sonoma to get the latest FW, and my machine is an Intel MBP.
I wasn’t able to get boot camp to detect the light sensor after updating to firmware v17 do you mind telling us which intel (year or model of mbp)

snowylawn

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2023
I wasn’t able to get boot camp to detect the light sensor after updating to firmware v17 do you mind telling us which intel (year or model of mbp)
16” 2019 MBP with the 5600m GPU connected to two ASD - both displays automatically adjust brightness

Reactions: kreasu_

Brentweerauto

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2024
My apologies if this was already previously answered, but can someone confirm whether the bootcamp method with the drivers for --m MacPro7,1 still work?

I'm asking because of the quoted message.
Okay so it looks like apple's mac pro drivers don't work anymore, I have another model that will work with the latest version of Brigader. Please DM me and I can send the model name.

ALSO if you ever get the error about a startup disk permission, create a BAT file and run as admin:

runas /trustlevel:0x20000 /machine:amd64 "C:\Windows\System32\AppleControlPanel.exe"

for windows 10 and 11 you need the /machine:amd64 flag due to a bug in the runas command.

Lastly, it looks like you don't need the python part of the CMD command anymore. I will update the guide.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
My apologies if this was already previously answered, but can someone confirm whether the bootcamp method with the drivers for --m MacPro7,1 still work?

I'm asking because of the quoted message.
I haven’t retested that model but I did dm you with the model I am using check your messages

Reactions: Brentweerauto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.