Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I have my essay outlined on notecards, ready to go into the final. I just have to review some hebrew vocabulary words and then I'll be set!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have my essay outlined on notecards, ready to go into the final. I just have to review some hebrew vocabulary words and then I'll be set!

Hebrew final? Sounds like fun.
I wish I spoke Hebrew. I want to go to Israel one day.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Hebrew final? Sounds like fun.
I wish I spoke Hebrew. I want to go to Israel one day.

It's not an easy language, compared to english. There are so many word modifiers... The word that you say will be different based on if you are a male or a female, if you are talking to a group of people that are males, a group of people that are females, a female, a male... Very complicated.... :mad:

I'll be going to Israel this coming November on a school trip called HIP (acronym for Hebrew Immersion Program). I'll be there for 6 weeks. Hopefully I can bring my MBP with me! We will be camping somewhere for like 6 days, to do some sort of army training called Gadna and it would be a bad idea to have a computer with me. Hopefully there will be an iPhone 3GS unlock by then, because I will need to unlock my iPhone to insert a local SIM card. If worse comes to worse, I will just bring my original iPhone with me. It's jb/unlocked!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It's not an easy language, compared to english. There are so many word modifiers... The word that you say will be different based on if you are a male or a female, if you are talking to a group of people that are males, a group of people that are females, a female, a male... Very complicated.... :mad:

I'll be going to Israel this coming November on a school trip called HIP (acronym for Hebrew Immersion Program). I'll be there for 6 weeks. Hopefully I can bring my MBP with me! We will be camping somewhere for like 6 days, to do some sort of army training called Gadna and it would be a bad idea to have a computer with me. Hopefully there will be an iPhone 3GS unlock by then, because I will need to unlock my iPhone to insert a local SIM card. If worse comes to worse, I will just bring my original iPhone with me. It's jb/unlocked!
Seems like a lot of other languages (Spanish is the only language that comes to mind right now). Can you read it Hebrew?

Sounds like a lot of fun. I definitely want to go there soon. Some people say its not safe to go there but I think it's fine. With that being said, I probably won't be able to for a long time :(

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm assuming you meant "can you read hebrew?" If this is correct, yes. In every hebrew class, little english is spoken, and all of the worksheets are in hebrew.

That's pretty awesome. I wish I could do that. Oh well ... Rosetta Stone it is for me. (not for hebrew specifically ... but in general.)

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Seems like a lot of other languages (Spanish is the only language that comes to mind right now). Can you read it Hebrew?

Sounds like a lot of fun. I definitely want to go there soon. Some people say its not safe to go there but I think it's fine. With that being said, I probably won't be able to for a long time :(

All of the latin based languages do the same.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Took my english final and my hebrew final today. They were easier than I thought. The bulk of the hebrew final was just reading comprehension, but the questions about the text that we had to read were super easy. It was a story about a boy who wanted to be a doctor because they work hard and make a lot of money, or a soccer player because if they are young, they get a lot of money. Then he met a girl who he fell in love with. She wouldn't let him be a doctor or a soccer player, because she wanted to work and she needed him to stay home to take care of the children. The questions were: why did the boy want to be a doctor or a soccer player?, why wouldn't the girl let him be a doctor or a soccer player?, and what were his duties in the house? It was so easy. On the final, there were things like put the directions on this compass (in hebrew of course), add suffixes based on people in a sentence, add suffixes based on a pronoun, etc... Took me an hour.

The english final was to compose an essay comparing and contrasting Gene and Finny from A Seperate Peace. I had notecards prepared with an outline of the essay. The essay was in the 5 paragraph format and was 3 pages long. I finished in an hour and 10 minutes.

This weekend, I will be preparing for geometry, history and biology. I got together with a friend on skype and made a study guide for history. My geometry teacher presented my class with a packet of practice problems to prepare for the final and my biology teacher presented my class with a study guide for the biology final. The last final I had for him, was just a compilation of all of the previous tests that we've taken. The study guide is prepared in a similar fashion to the previous study guide for biology, so I expect the final to be in the same format.

Final counter: 2/5 complete

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Prepare your study materials in advance. Basically plan how you're going to study before you do it. You don't want to be searching for your notes the night before the exam-- you want to be doing the actual studying of them.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Just got home from final #3 and final #4. Geometry was by far the hardest final yet. History was one of the easiest.

Biology tomorrow!

Oh, and I got an 87% on the englis final! That's the only grade I know as of yet.

Final counter: 4/5 complete.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I am done with finals! I finished my biology final and I'm at the local amusement park with my friends. I'm waiting to get off of a ride (this ride is horrible, youre hanging upside down for a while.. Not fun.. Plus the restraints hurt my manhood.

I got a 79% on my honors geometry final and a 78% on Hebrew.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Thought I'd update for this year..
Finals for day one: completed.
Finals for day 2: still preparing for.
Final on day 3: not worried at all about, so I will probably do a quick lookover tomorrow night of the material. (it's chemistry, and I seem to be like a sponge for retaining chem info)

My American History final (second one tomorrow) will be two essays. My history teacher gave us three questions, from which two will be on the test.

They are as follows: To what degree did WWI affect the start of WWII?

To what degree did the primary domestic events of the 20th century (Race Relation, the Great Depression, and the Crisis of Authority) affect American foreign policy?

Of Civil Rights Movement and the Great Depression, which had the larger impact on American society?

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Thought I'd update for this year..
Finals for day one: completed.
Finals for day 2: still preparing for.
Final on day 3: not worried at all about, so I will probably do a quick lookover tomorrow night of the material. (it's chemistry, and I seem to be like a sponge for retaining chem info)

My American History final (second one tomorrow) will be two essays. My history teacher gave us three questions, from which two will be on the test.

They are as follows: To what degree did WWI affect the start of WWII?

To what degree did the primary domestic events of the 20th century (Race Relation, the Great Depression, and the Crisis of Authority) affect American foreign policy?

Of Civil Rights Movement and the Great Depression, which had the larger impact on American society?
When I get home and if I have finished my homework I will be glad to help:)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Write out all your notes 3-4 times. Each time you should cut out as much as you can, so that by the end you have key words and terms that will trigger all the info you need.

Also, do practice questions.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Well, I am officially a junior! Now I have all summer to hit that 5000 mile goal that I set for myself (road-cycling)! I'm already at 700 miles.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
I am a freshman in high school and I have my first real midterms. Last year, because I was in honors algebra, I had a midterm. I am still in honors math (this year I am in honors geometry). On Wednesday, I have a World History midterm and then I have an honors geometry midterm. On Thursday, I have a biology midterm. On Friday, I have a Hebrew midterm and an English midterm. I would appreciate some study tips. Thanks!

Tip: don't wait for the end of term to start studying. Every two weeks or so, review everything from the past two weeks. Do the same monthly. That way, come finals you'll just be reinforcing stuff you already know and understand, instead of cramming.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Having just graduated in May, and taking a year off before I start medical school, here are some tips that work for me.

1. Make sure you get enough sleep for yourself. This was the biggest thing for me. Wake up and go to sleep around the same time every day.

2. Take controlled breaks. Have a schedule of what you want to get done, by when. Then take a 10-15 minute break; whether just talking with your roommates, playing a quick video game (although this wouldn't be giving your eyes a rest), or listening to some music.

3. I tend to have more carbs during finals week. I usually keep my carb in take low but during finals my excuse is that I need to study. The brain almost exclusively uses sugar for energy so there's that too.

4. If you have scheduled physical exercise, make sure to continue it during studying.

5. If you have a study group, I strongly suggest you study with them. You always learn more efficiently from collaboration; plus its fun to be around other people. Writing down what you need to know and then talking it with other people (and trying to explain it) use different parts of your brain and will help you memorize and/or understand stuff better.

Good luck on your exams

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I've done all my homework for the week so now I've devoted my free time during the rest of the week/weekend to studying. My problem is fighting the temptation to partake in the "mile high" lifestyle during the next two weeks

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I've done all my homework for the week so now I've devoted my free time during the rest of the week/weekend to studying. My problem is fighting the temptation to partake in the "mile high" lifestyle during the next two weeks

If it makes you feel better, it doesn't get any easier from here on out.

~From a senior cramming for multiple finals.

racheltech

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
As a graduate of all my formal education, IF you learn the right way in class and remember what you have been taught, Finals should be no concern whatsoever. For my last three years at college, I flipped through my notebooks as a re-fresher, and scored very highly, graduating Cum Laude.

It's all about the process; not the immediate cramming the week before.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
i think kids these days just bing drink Starbucks and take adderall/ritalin to "Study" for exams at the library. Try that OP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.