Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frosty001

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
It's still up.
Wonder how long till it's gone.
Can Apple force the developer to add and update that disables the emulator function? I have Auto Update on my apps. Wondering if that's a good idea if I want to keep this functionality.

Last edited:

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Dropbox uses tokenization, so atleast this rout is fairly secure. I have not looked into your FTP claims. A burner Dropbox account or one with nothing important in it would make use of the app safer.

What is worrying is that ROMs, not created by the user from an actual cartridge, could contain malicious code. Even with sandboxing, this could be a problem. It is the sort of thing I'd expect in a Gibson novel, but on this scale would have little praticle application.

The tokenization would prevent them from getting your Dropbox password, and is easily revoked, but the app would still have all access to your account while it was authorized, which is the concern. FTP uses plaintext passwords, a known problem with the protocol and why so many people have so many issues with it.

Being emulated, the ROMs could do at most the amount of damage an app could. There's no machine code being directly executed, it all has to be translated by the app.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Yep

It's controlled by the carrier... some don't allow it. That said, a tethering app snuck into the app store aaaages ago I swear!!

Yep it did. At least one. The one I got was simply called "Tether". I have it....it lasted maybe 12 hours on the app store before being pulled, and ran 15.00. Still works just fine, and this thing was released just before or just after IOS6 came out.

One theory at the time was that Apple knowingly let this onto the store, simply to show the Cell Providers that at it's leisure, they absolutley had the power to provide the option. Kind of a subtle warning.

Makes sense too....look at the name of the app. They didn't even attempt to hide what it did. My memory also says the description made no attempts to hide the functionality. Also...now that I've had it for awhile, over two years....Apple knows it exists and has made no effort to disable it from any updates.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Hate when this happens because it makes the review process for actual apps take longer. Plus it's pretty easy to get an actual emulator so why bother. The creator won't be seeing any of the money the app generates.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I apologize if this is a noob question, but where would someone be able to find the files to load into the emulator?

CamH

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
For those of you who want to try out an emulation system that won't get pulled from the app store instantly, check out https://pocketga.me/ It runs entirely in the web browser so you never have to worry about losing it on the app store

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
I apologize if this is a noob question, but where would someone be able to find the files to load into the emulator?

Google "SNES roms" and you should find what you are looking for.

Just downloaded it. Works fine. Hasn't been updated to support iPhone 6/6+ screens though. And obviously playing with onscreen buttons isn't the best experience but hey, at least I can now play some great games on my iPhone.

I created a new Dropbox account and a new mail address just to be sure... Also renaming rom files from .sfc to .smc works fine.

skwash

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
It's still up.
Wonder how long till it's gone.
Can Apple force the developer to add and update that disables the emulator function? I have Auto Update on my apps. Wondering if that's a good idea if I want to keep this functionality.

Apple is on vacation this week. It might be up until the end of the week! (I'm sure the timing wasn't accidental)

One would hope the developer would just release a separate app if he is required to remove the functionality.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, having to use on screen buttons is why I never last very long with emulators. I got my Stratus refurbished, looked just as if it were new (to me), so can't complain about saving $20 on it. Easily have done at least a day worth of smashing the buttons on it at this point, heh.

I have DiskAid/iMazing too. :D

Just bought the stratus after contemplating the ho-hum reviews. Seems like people just feel it's too small. Can't wait to play some old-school nes games with it!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Am I the only one who gets squeamish because the true value of these apps are in breaking copyright law? :eek:

I'm getting the cheaper Nintendo 2DS just so I can legally play old childhood games like Ocarina of Time. Not to mention newer ones like Kingdom Hearts DDD.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
"This past May, GBA4iOS, a Game Boy emulator that bypassed Apple's App Store restrictions as it could be installed directly to a device via the project's official website, was shut down due to a Digital Millennium Copyright Claim from Nintendo."

It's still there. They put it back up, and I thought MacRumors already reported this a while ago: http://www.gba4iosapp.com/download/

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Just bought it!

Here is a project to resurrect your old NES console with a fix for the ZIF connector:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/113891498/blinking-light-win-resurrecting-your-nes

Why emulate when you can play the real deal?:cool:

My brother ended up just buying a working one for $20 a few years ago, but the ZIF connector is still unreliable. You have to fiddle with the cartridge a little to make it work. Coupled with the 1985 Hitachi TV he found in an alley and Super Mario Bros ($10), he now has a complete setup for a game made before he was born.

----------

And certain other apps check for such and refuse to work (or at least they did the last time I jail broke something (was turning a old 3GS into a device for a child (essentially a touch) and Direct TV refused to load on a jail broken device).

If I remember correctly, there are (or were?) even Cydia tweaks that fool the jailbreak detection in apps. Edit: Yes, it's called xCon. The main thing I'm concerned about is that I'm running code out of the sandbox.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Just bought the stratus after contemplating the ho-hum reviews. Seems like people just feel it's too small. Can't wait to play some old-school nes games with it!

Oh, it's small, if you're using both sticks, that's were it stands out the most. It's fine with the D-pad and letter buttons.

Am I the only one who gets squeamish because the true value of these apps are in breaking copyright law? :eek:

I'm getting the cheaper Nintendo 2DS just so I can legally play old childhood games like Ocarina of Time. Not to mention newer ones like Kingdom Hearts DDD.

At least we aren't pirating new games. ;) I have some of the NES games for Wii and some Game Boy stuff for the 3DS. There's a lot of stuff that will most likely never be ported over though.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013

I owned a lot of NES games as a child. They no longer function, nor does my NES. I purchased a handful of those games again on Wii. Some, that were available, I purchased for Gameboy Advance or the DS (ie. Legend of Zelda,) or even iOS (Final Fantasy.) And for what it's worth, I've re-purchased PC games on Steam that I originally bought on CD or DVD at GameStop but no longer have possession of. I've paid my dues. I'm not spending any more of my money on games I've already bought when I can spend that money on NEW games and relive some of my childhood memories without having to fork over more money for a system I don't need to play games I already own.

Congratulations on wasting money so you can lord over people on the internet that you're better than them. For people like me, we're playing games that we also legally own, we're just not letting Nintendo dictate what object sits in our hands while we play them.

ToastyFlake

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2014
Why doesn't Nintendo just sell an app that allows play of these game?

Not only Nintendo, but all of the holders of the licenses of classic video games. I would love to pay to download my favorite games from the 80s. It seems like they're missing an opportunity to make money.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Congratulations on wasting money so you can lord over people on the internet that you're better than them.

Err, didn't do that. I'm just hesitant to violate copyright. I've paid the same as you (though I won't buy more iOS final fantasy because their support sucks).

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Nintendo could make a lot of money by offering an official NES and SNES emulator. 69p a game and they would be raking it in without hurting sales on the Wii or 3DS.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA

What about playing them on the original console? Do you want the newer graphics and stuff?

There ARE two games I really want to emulate: SSBM and GoldenEye. There are no remakes of them, and they're two of my favorite games, but the GC and N64 respectively cannot play them at a good enough resolution. I tried them in emulators with higher rendering resolutions (i.e. vectors are rendered at 1080p instead of 360i or whatever), and they're beautiful. Also, the main reason I can't beat some of the GoldenEye levels is because it lags constantly, especially when something explodes.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What about playing them on the original console? Do you want the newer graphics and stuff?

There ARE two games I really want to emulate: SSBM and GoldenEye. There are no remakes of them, and they're two of my favorite games, but the GC and N64 respectively cannot play them at a good enough resolution. I tried them in emulators with higher rendering resolutions (i.e. vectors are rendered at 1080p instead of 360i or whatever), and they're beautiful. Also, the main reason I can't beat some of the GoldenEye levels is because it lags constantly, especially when something explodes.

Yeah that's an issue, I usually don't mind the retro graphics. To me, even the current Nintendo devices have inadequate specs.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Nintendo could make a lot of money by offering an official NES and SNES emulator. 69p a game and they would be raking it in without hurting sales on the Wii or 3DS.

Atari tried this. Come iOS 8 it broke and there obviously aren't enough sales to make it worth fixing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.