Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Mhy would a company want to disable tethering?

So they could charge for it. Not only that, not all carriers want to strain their networks by having large quantity of their users using it.

Apple already has built in tethering but have obligations by carriers to block it if it is not part of a subscribers plan.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Mhy would a company want to disable tethering?

Edit: Why doesn't apple allow tethering apps?

1) I don't know... maybe they offer unlimited broadband internet and want people having separate connections for their phone/internet. Their choice/business... they set the rules.

2) As stated... some cariers don't allow tethering. The only purpose of a tethering app is to get around the carier's restrictions. Why doesn't Apple allow people to do this? Uuuum... why did Apple implement a system whereby cariers can block tethering if they like?

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
So they could charge for it. Not only that, not all carriers want to strain their networks by having large quantity of their users using it.

Apple already has built in tethering but have obligations by carriers to block it if it is not part of a subscribers plan.

1) I don't know... maybe they offer unlimited broadband internet and want people having separate connections for their phone/internet. Their choice/business... they set the rules.

2) As stated... some cariers don't allow tethering. The only purpose of a tethering app is to get around the carier's restrictions. Why doesn't Apple allow people to do this? Uuuum... why did Apple implement a system whereby cariers can block tethering if they like?
Where I live we have a very developed infrastructure so tether blocking is completely foreign here. If a company did that here no one would use their service.

Edit: Does apple block tethering apps in regions that don't have any tethering restrictions?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
There's Obviously A Market For It, Why Not Bring Back the Game Boy Color???

They have. It's called the 3DS and there's a shop on it where you can buy and download Gameboy and Gameboy Color games.

----------

Not only Nintendo, but all of the holders of the licenses of classic video games. I would love to pay to download my favorite games from the 80s. It seems like they're missing an opportunity to make money.

You can. They're available on the 3DS and Wii U (not all, but the more popular and cult games are there at least).

Some other games get re-releases on PS3, PS4, Vita, PC/Steam/Good Old Games. There are lots of games out there.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Ach. Missed it.

I too would gladly buy my favorite games from my childhood...

But wait a sec, let's see, I did already. I paid the $50 for Super Mario Bros 3 the day it came out, and another $50 when I thought the plastic box it was enclosed in was failing, before discovering it was the NES player itself. So I do own it, two copies of it, even. Just because the NES broke, doesn't change the fact that I still legitimately own two copies of the game SMB3. ...whether enclosed in an unusable plastic box with no machine available to play them, or moved over into a folder on an iPad where they're usable. Either way, I have paid asking price from everyone involved, and stolen from no one.

So Nintendo telling Apple that I shouldn't be allowed to play my expensive game on modern equipment, when clearly it is technically possible as evidenced by apps like these, and Nintendo provides no alternative product that allows me to use my purchased games, and I'm not making copies of it for others & thus taking away from their sales (if they even sell it anymore), seems unethical, and does not make me want to purchase further products from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.