Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
No new rMBP? Screw Apple when they "believe" people should have the best performing Equipment.

Don't worry, the rMBP has already undergone this 'display plan'. This report is highlighting devices that will either get a larger screen or new display. Specifically, upgrades to the display.

In other words, the rMBP already has the screen upgrade, so we won't see it on this list. It wasn't going to go 4k or become even more retina, but we already knew that right? It'll be updated of course, just in terms of the cpu, gpu, etc.

d-klumpp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2010
Chicago
I don't know why everyone wants a bigger phone... I like the iPhone 5S just the way it is...

I want a phone small enough to keep in my pocket when seated. I don't want to be that loser who puts their phone on the table as soon as they sit down in the restaurant.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Why would Apple make an iPhone incompatible with all current apps for the sake of a couple of extra pixels? They might upgrade it to something like 1080p on a larger screen, but not 720p.

It needs to be worth the developers time... and a black border round older apps isn't going to be popular.

If they go down the larger screen route I hope they retain the current size, it's already a little too big for a phone in my opinion. A borderless screen at the current size would be nice.

I want to make phone calls without having to carry around a HDTV in my pocket.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmmm so no Cinema Display then? Yeah don't believe this at all, plus the iWatch and Apple Television set are all vapourware at best still. And a 4K panel! Man that would cost like $5000 plus! with the fruit logo on it.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I guess it is time for all the small-phone-screen-is-better folks to take the back seat now.

Very excited for both larger phone screen sizes!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I want a phone small enough to keep in my pocket when seated. I don't want to be that loser who puts their phone on the table as soon as they sit down in the restaurant.

Hmmm I have an S4 - it has nearly a 5" screen and it fits in my pocket fine. Granted - I don't wear "skinny jeans" - but I've never had a problem pocketing it in jeans, a jacket pocket - whatever.

But interesting that you mention "that loser" - because that applied to many people who put their phone on their table. And that has nothing to do with screen size. :rolleyes:

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to comfortably fit a larger iPhone in my pocket with an OtterBox case.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Just seems to sum up a lot of rumors with an approximate release schedule?

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Lol - the fragmentation that will occur for developers if those displays come to fruition doesn't bear thinking about.

Of course it doesn't bear thinking about as Apple has up to now dodged that problem with very minimal effort on the part of developers, with the move to retina displays, and the move to the 16:9 format for iPhones, and one major UI change since 2007. Compared to Android, that's positively brilliant.

I'm reasonably sure that Apple will have yet again a smooth transition for developers to HD and Full HD for iPhones, giving three iPhone 6 resolutions in a single format.

At any rate, my speculation is that iOS 8 brings resolution independence to Apple's mobile product, starting with iPad 6 and some hardware compositing sauce that Apple will cook up for the A8.

mikeyhd

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Canada
Everyone has their own opinion, but i like the way it is or 0.3 inch more max. Bigger than that I don't know how comfortable it is with one hand

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
I don't know why everyone wants a bigger phone... I like the iPhone 5S just the way it is...

Ok you are not allowed by a phone bigger than 4 inches in your life. Ever.

I'm sure you're one of those folks who thought 3.5 inch was perfect too.

...Ever...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I love that iPad mini retina part of the leak. That would fit my desire very well

Oh, and a iPad maxi later in 2014 is nice, too

PsychoLogicXen

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Orange County, CA
My sources also indicate Apple plans to buy a number of different display panels at some point in the future, in a range of different sizes, for various devices.

I can also confirm this to be true for Samsung, LG, Motorola, Nokia, BlackBerry, HTC, Sony, Sharp, HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo, Asus, Toshiba and possibly even Gateway who I think still exists. :rolleyes:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That MBA res makes zero sense.

Agreed. I think they'd double 1366x768 instead. Lots of software "expects" to have 768 vertical pixels since that was the de facto standard for a decade.

I currently have an iPhone 5s and iPad mini. If they come out with a 5.7" iPhone next year, I might just dump the iPad altogether.

However, unlike Android, iOS has distinct versions for the iPhone and iPad. What version of iOS this speculated 5.7" device would run is anyone's guess. Remember, part of the reason Android gravitates to large phones and small tablets is that there isn't a library of 300,000 tablet-specific apps on Android (even though the total number of apps is about the same). Phone apps are expected to run on tablets and vice versa. Apple wants people to have both an iPhone and an iPad, and the specific iOS version is one way of encouraging that.

Is it possible that Apple would attempt to add some sort of resolution independence into iOS 8? If not, all these new resolutions would create the very fragmentation that Apple says it wants to avoid. The 5s will be around in some form next year (perhaps as the 5cs), and I doubt Apple really wants 3 different iPhone resolutions.

I guess it is time for all the small-phone-screen-is-better folks to take the back seat now.

Very excited for both larger phone screen sizes!

It depends on how they go about it. They can go to 4.3" without changing the size of the phone that much if they can figure out how to reduce the size of the bezel. Using a slightly curved display might get another 0.1 to 0.2. (Samsung just released a curved display phone and LG says they will have flexible displays, too). I would not like an iPhone 6 the size of the Galaxy S4, though. Given the screen wars, I think Apple could actually use a 4" phone to its advantage (the only premium smartphone in a compact size - unlike Samsung, HTC, et. al who strip down their smaller phones).

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Lol - the fragmentation that will occur for developers if those displays come to fruition doesn't bear thinking about.

I know you're just trolling, but, yes, this will create more fragmentation, but still not on the level of Android devices.

iOS developers have a year to prepare for the new screen resolutions (which they've actually been warned about way back at WWDC 2012) and new way of designing UI interfaces. iOS 7 supports ways to develop with a varying screen resolutions. And developers have a year to 'get on the boat' and make their apps compatible.

Screen sizes isn't the only fragmentation developers need to worry about. OS version is a main one in which Android is much more fragmented, features of the phone is another - too many phone work differently, different graphic chips, cameras, processors, internal chips (like gyroscopes, motion sensors, etc.) different buttons, different gestures.

With Apple, you know what you've got, and usually have time to prepare. At any given moment, a new Android phone comes out with new specs, and developers have to pay attention to that phone/tablet/watch as well.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Why would Apple make an iPhone incompatible with all current apps for the sake of a couple of extra pixels? … a black border round older apps isn't going to be popular.

Well, they did it before (with the iPhone 5), and it wasn't the end of the world.

For the past few years, Apple's developer tools have been moving towards making it easier for apps to support variable screen sizes (e.g. Autolayout, introduced in iOS 6, and dynamic text in iOS 7)

I want to make phone calls without having to carry around a HDTV in my pocket.

Yeah, but you could get close to 4.7" with the current form factor just by pushing the display out closer to the edges of the device. It's really just the home button that gets in the way. I think Apple knows that people do not want to be carrying around monster phones, but there is a clear demand for larger screens.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
If we assume any of this information is true, it would be interesting to see if Apple planned to keep offering an iPhone with the existing 4" screen, in addition to 4.7" and 5.7" models. If they did, they would most likely provide a broad enough range of screen sizes to appease most existing and potential iPhone customers. Even though it is unlikely that I would be interested in a 5.7" model, Apple would be smart to offer an iPhone with that size of screen. I think the statistic I saw here on MR indicated that some 25% (or so) of Android customers are thinking of switching to iPhone. (Don't hold me to that number being exact.) This largest iPhone would then present a potential replacement to the 25% of Galaxy Note customers. In any case, choice is good, so I hope Apple actually offers iPhone with those 3 screen sizes.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
No new rMBP? Screw Apple when they "believe" people should have the best performing Equipment.

Oh for the love of Jeff...

This is an article on new displays. The rMBP's are ALREADY carrying high end displays so wouldn't need to be refreshed. New rMBP's will be released shortly, most likely alongside Mavericks or, if not, in a quiet update like we just saw for the iMac. Personally I think they'll be on stage at the next event because a) Haswell gives a big boost to battery life so they'll have a selling point, possibly along with a slight reduction in case size as a result, b) Mavericks has, from the NDA-muffled mutterings that are around, largely fixed any remaining performance issue for Retina Macs and c) the 2012 iPad event was when the last rMBP was announced!

This surely isn't hard to work out? Why on earth are people acting like Apple are killing their OS X devices? Just this year the Air was the first mass market laptop with Haswell, the iMac got a nice upgrade right around when you'd expect it to, the new Mac Pro is something genuinely different that was probably been held up waiting for the new Xeon's and Thunderbolt 2 and the rMBP's are most likely waiting for Mavericks and/or Intel to get a good supply of Iris Pro equipped CPU's out the door (and, again, Thunderbolt 2 which seems a fairly obvious move if they're launching alongside the MP). Why the hysteria?

Anyway, one thing I really don't buy on that report is the resolution for the 4.7" iPhone. Haven't done the maths but wouldn't that drop it below Apple's definition of Retina? And even if they say you're holding a 4.7" device further away than the current model that'd be a REALLY low resolution screen compared to what the competition would be running by then in equivalent devices. Possibly more likely that they're testing form factors on a 4.7" screen at current resolutions then double it up for the real thing?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Timing does not always mean when available. Iphone 5s mass production began in quarter 2, introduced in quarter 3, available for most in quarter 4. Either way, there will be a new iphone out in 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.