Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Apple doesn't generally do what everyone wants. They do what they feel will deliver the best experience for their consumer. Yeah, larger screens have a benefit, but they're not as easy to use.

You have to keep in mind that after Steve's death a lot of things have changed, and Apple instantly showed signs that they would listen to the will of people. Best example of this is the HDMI connector on the rMBP (but yes, I know that it's a different thing, because the lack of HDMI was a real pain in most people's ass, but still only the minority of happy iPhone users feel that they would prefer a huge screen).

kevinpdoyle

macrumors member
May 2, 2012
A 4.7 inch iPhone that comes mostly from shrinking the top and bottom bezels and then adding .5 inches or so to the width is very desirable. On the other hand I can't see a 5.7 inch coming out if it means people will forgo an iPad for the convenience of one device.

Last edited:

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Because everyone has different tastes?
Just because you like the iPhone 5S the way it is, doesn't mean I do.

I for one would like the 5.7 iPhone 6.

D.

I didn't say you did like it. I said I didn't understand, because I like the current one.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
A 4.7 inch iPhone that comes mostly from shrinking the top and bottom bezels and then adding .5 inches or so to the width is very desirable. On the other hand I can't see a 5.7 inch coming out if it means people will forgo a iPad in lieu of one device

There's also the question of which iOS a 5.7" device would run. iPad iOS would seemingly be cramped on such a screen, particularly if the 12.9" device is for real (a device more than 4 times as large). iPhone iOS, on the other hand, might look too stretched, even if it is optimized for a 4.7" screen.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
So Apple is going Samsung-Style with their products now? (Releasing whatever might sell)

What a terrible thing to do.
Releasing things that might sell is tantamount to heresy.

1aa0828fd7a01ac1cba21110.L.jpg

Shin-Kaiser

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
Larger iPhones aren't iPhones.

They're iPods that are made as remote controls for the tv. Bigger screens for lots of buttons to control the tv and play games, etc.

err....Dude, if it makes call - it's a phone, regardless of its size.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Dude. I just got pounded with quotes for saying I like the size of the 5S screen. Chillax guys... it's just my opinion. ;)

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
... DisplaySearch also suggests that a 12.9-inch iPad is set for debut next year, in line with the Wall Street Journal's report that Apple is looking at larger iPad models. ...
This new low-power MacBook Air would likely feature a 2304 x 1440 display, although this would be the usable screen real estate at a non-Retina equivalent of just 1152 x 720, lower than that of the current 11-inch MacBook Air. ...

Doesn't make much sense. Why not just use the same 12.9" display from the mini on the MBA? If de-pixel-double the 2732x2048 from that you get 1366x1024 which is at least close to the current 1440x900 ( It is also close to the rMBP 13" specs of 2560x1600 ---> 1280x800)

Chopping an inch off the MBA 13" and going to MBA 11" working space..... What exactly are they buying with those reductions? I suppose the display is cheaper (because it is delivering less. ).

If this 12" iPad has an optional keyboard with a price point below this new MBA 12" ... looks more like they are just trying to herd folks onto the iPad by kneecapping the MBA.

Otherwise, this looks like perhaps nuking the MBA 11" for the MBA 12" far more so than a MBA 13" replacement. Would make far more sense if the MBA 13" replacement either got the rMBP 13" screen or got nuked by the the rMBP 13" at a lower price point; one of those two options. If Apple can "grow" the 11" to 12" while keep approximately the same weight that would not be a surprise move.

DisplaySearch also claims there will be two Apple-branded 4Kx2K television sets in 55- and 65-inch sizes,

Extremely doubtful these are 4Kx2K and not UltraHD (3840x2160 ). If are TVs then will be using a standard TV panel so costs are in line with other TVs. Sure the short, hype name is '4K' for this but if breaking down the other resolutions it just isn't consistent. There is a 'name' for it: UltraHD.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
You have to keep in mind that after Steve's death a lot of things have changed, and Apple instantly showed signs that they would listen to the will of people. Best example of this is the HDMI connector on the rMBP (but yes, I know that it's a different thing, because the lack of HDMI was a real pain in most people's ass, but still only the minority of happy iPhone users feel that they would prefer a huge screen).

Eh, I wasn't that excited about that either. No need for it, there's already TB->HDMI connectors. I just hope they don't start putting DVI or VGA. That would be the end of Apple.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Lol - the fragmentation that will occur for developers if those displays come to fruition doesn't bear thinking about.

iOS developers move very quickly to adopt new Apple devices. The move to Retina Displays was embraced with a rapid transition both on iPhone and iPad. The move to the 4" display was also a quick transition for developers.

Keep in mind, a lot of the design decisions in iOS 7 also seem to have the side-effect of allowing software to be more resolution independent. The UI in iOS 7 scales to different sizes MUCH easier than in iOS 6. Buttons do not have to be hard-coded into precise pixel sizes when the buttons are more text-based. Just look at the Maps app on the iPad, it looks very much like a scaled up version of the iPhones, rather than a total redesign like it was in iOS 6.

A lot of the design elements in iOS 7 seem to indicate to me that it was designed for a range of display sizes. Not to mention, it even makes the current 4" display seem larger than with iOS 6. The chrome and navigation bars ate up so much more of the real estate in iOS 6.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
As a consumer I can see myself buying quite a few of those off the list.

As a developer that's about 3-4 new resolutions to design for =/...

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
First, I doubt a larger screen iPhone would be 5.7", this is way to big to be called a phone. This would be a new device with a different name.

If Apple does release a larger iPhone it would be under 5".

Second, while I do believe that Apple could also release a 5.7" phablet, I doubt very much that it would sport the 1920x1080 resolution purported in this report.

By some coincidence, 5.7" happens to be exactly half of the iPad mini display size, which would give this device a resolution of 1536x1024 at retina DPI. Keeping the same DPI would mean that devs wouldn't have to change touch target sizes and redo bitmaps and icons once again, they would simply use iOS 7 auto-layout APIs to make their app compatible.

The bonus would be that apps optimized for this 5.7" device could run as two apps side by side on a full size (or mini) iPad.

Vodka

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
i have a strange feeling what after 12" ipads startup, touchscreen computers become more popular and...in a few years macbooks(other netbooks, portables, etc) will die as a breed

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
1. 4.7” 1280×720; 5.7” 1920×1080
Probably the new iPhone. Will be so sad if Apple up the physical screen size. As it's good as it is. People want an iPhone and not an iPhablet. I hope this is wrong.

2. 9.7” 2048×1536; portrait mode, slim bezel
New iPad. Not hard to work this out. And it looks a good screen for it. I like this.

3. 12.9” 2732×2048
A large iPad? Wtf Seriously we don't need 3 sizes of iPad. 2 is more than enough. Bad ides if this is true.

4. 7.9” 2048×1536; portrait mode
New iPad Mini. Seems nice.

5. 12” 2304×1440; low power
Could be MBP or MBA or a number of things. Interesting find.

6. 55”, 65” 4Kx2K 120Hz LCD
Apple TV? Nah probably a new Apple display. But seems a little large for a display. So I dunno what is up there. I have not drank the "Apple will make a television cool aid". I think Apple's TV dealings are the TV for the time being.

7. 1.3”/1.63” 320×320 flexible AMOLED
iWatch? Or possible iPod Nano or Shuffle? Or a combo of both.

benjs

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
This shows such a lack of understanding of Apple's ecosystem on these "analyst's" parts. Apple's ecosystem runs so smoothly because develops need not accommodate more than one set of dimensions for iPads, and one (two if you include the not-as-long-but-equally-wide iPhone 4s) for iPhones/iPods. And you'd better believe one of Apple's strongest selling points is the quality of their apps. You hear constant stories about Android phones where text looks skewed, images distorted, menu systems uncomfortable due to odd spacing. Just like the iPhone transitioned to iPhone with Retina, if the next Apple iPads and iPhones/iPods aren't direct integer multiples of existing screen sizes, I will put on, and then eat, my shorts.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
They should make it simple. iPhone 6- 4.3 inches and iPhone 6- 4.7 inches. Give people the choice between compact or large.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
larger iphone is needed to reflect the new trend: people use iphones as multi media and internet device than making phone call. Apple was against 7" ipad mini. now it is sold in millions.

plus, you got two hands to use. why limit to one hand?

ios 7 UI change is to prepare software for future dynamic resolution/size devices.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
They should make it simple. iPhone 6- 4.3 inches and iPhone 6- 4.7 inches. Give people the choice between compact or large.

The issue is how many production lines can apple setup when they have to make millions in a short amount of time - I like your idea

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Drooling.........

Looking at that list I can see I'm going to be flat broke quite soon.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
This shows such a lack of understanding of Apple's ecosystem on these "analyst's" parts. Apple's ecosystem runs so smoothly because develops need not accommodate more than one set of dimensions for iPads, and one (two if you include the not-as-long-but-equally-wide iPhone 4s) for iPhones/iPods. And you'd better believe one of Apple's strongest selling points is the quality of their apps. You hear constant stories about Android phones where text looks skewed, images distorted, menu systems uncomfortable due to odd spacing. Just like the iPhone transitioned to iPhone with Retina, if the next Apple iPads and iPhones/iPods aren't direct integer multiples of existing screen sizes, I will put on, and then eat, my shorts.

Dude, right now we have four completely different screen sizes (iPad mini, iPad, iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S) and three different aspect ratios (iPad, iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S) and yet it hardly has an impact on the quality of applications. Developers could handle even more, and you know why? Because there is HUGE money in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.